Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil Toplef10New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil I22gcj10New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil Toplef10New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil I22gcj10New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil

+2
markqz
Hmgentry
6 posters

Go down

New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil Empty New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil

Post  Hmgentry 7/18/2021, 3:38 pm

I read the book and found someone on FB marketplace to make 10 8x2 ft raised cedar garden beds for me. She also sourced the compost, vermiculite, and peat moss. I put everything together and planted all my vegetables from seed (direct sow) in June. I was late starting but wanted to go ahead and plant everything and see what grew my first year of gardening. Most of the seeds sprouted quickly, but then failed to grow anymore and the leaves of many of the plants- squash, zucchini, watermelon, beans, broccoli, etc turned yellow and then black. I let everything stay that way for about 3 weeks before doing anything about it. During that time only the beans grew a little and I planted asparagus crowns that grew very quickly. 

I finally tested the ph, water, and nutrient levels. The ph was in one 7.5-8 range, the soil was very dry, and it was defieient in NPK. This past week, I added organic fertilizers and watered more. I tested again and N and K were sufficient, but phosphate was low. I added more organic fertilizer higher in phosphate and just finished adding a top layer of black cow manure compost. 

So what I did wrong that I’ve already figured out- vermiculite is not coarse, I did not wet peat moss, and I only used cow and mushroom manure compost and there was a ton of wood in the compost. The woman who purchased for me said using only the cow and mushroom manure would be fine, but in addition to only being manure compost, it seemed very poor quality. 

What can I do now? I added a better quality compost to the top, but was afraid to mix it in much because the plants are so tiny and I didn’t want to disturb them. I bought about 8 different organic fertilizers, but want to build better soil versus having to keep adding fertilizers. I started a compost in May, but it hasn’t turned over enough to use. 

The soil seems very dry despite soaking them twice a day- may have used too much vermiculite and peat moss vs. compost. Do I have to did up and start over or can my soil be fixed? I have donkeys, chickens, and goats so I’m adding all that to my compost  to use next year.
Hmgentry
Hmgentry

Back to top Go down

New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil Empty Re: New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil

Post  markqz 7/18/2021, 3:56 pm

Hmgentry wrote:I read the book and found someone on FB marketplace to make 10 8x2 ft raised cedar garden beds for me....
The soil seems very dry despite soaking them twice a day- may have used too much vermiculite and peat moss vs. compost. Do I have to did up and start over or can my soil be fixed? I have donkeys, chickens, and goats so I’m adding all that to my compost  to use next year.
Welcome Hmgentry!

With those chickens, goats, and donkeys, I would expect that you could make some really great compost. And if you turn it regularly I would expect it to be done in 3 months. But we have some real compost aficionados here, so let's see what they say. Meanwhile, I'll just ask what grade of vermiculite you used? And how often have you been watering?

markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Hmgentry likes this post

Back to top Go down

New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil Empty Re: New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil

Post  OhioGardener 7/18/2021, 4:31 pm

Hmgentry wrote:So what I did wrong that I’ve already figured out- vermiculite is not coarse, I did not wet peat moss, and I only used cow and mushroom manure compost and there was a ton of wood in the compost. The woman who purchased for me said using only the cow and mushroom manure would be fine, but in addition to only being manure compost, it seemed very poor quality.

It seems that you have highlighted the main problems you are experiencing: Not soaking the peat before adding it to the mix; and used only two types of compost, which may have been poor quality.

What can I do now? I added a better quality compost to the top, but was afraid to mix it in much because the plants are so tiny and I didn’t want to disturb them. I bought about 8 different organic fertilizers, but want to build better soil versus having to keep adding fertilizers. I started a compost in May, but it hasn’t turned over enough to use.

The first problem is going to be getting the peat completely moist so that it quits sucking all of the moisture from the plants. It takes a lot of water to get peat completely moist, and if it gets totally dry it tends to become hydrophobic (repels water), which complicates problems. To correct this you will need to repeatedly deep water the bed to get the peat and vermiculite soaked. Use a soil moisture tester to check the level of moisture in the soil before each watering.

The second problem - using only two types of compost - will not be as much of a problem if you have applied and worked in organic fertilizer. Organic fertilizer is slow release, and will become available to plants as the soil microbial life breaks it down. Give it time to break down while you are getting the soil mixture moist.  Meanwhile, try to collect some high quality compost to top off the beds with. Your own home made compost, with all of those manures, should be all you need.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4545

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Hmgentry 7/18/2021, 9:18 pm

I don’t know the grade of vermiculite- I would guess medium or fine. I was watering twice a day, but not soaking it. I started used a moisture meter a meek ago and it said the soil was dry even minutes after watering. So I’ve started soaking it twice a day until the moisture meter says it’s very moist, almost to wet. It is dry again by the next watering.
Hmgentry
Hmgentry

Back to top Go down

Post  Hmgentry 7/18/2021, 9:29 pm

Thank you for the replies- it is very helpful. Any ideas on finding high quality compost until mine is ready? I started mine in may, but it wasn’t doing much of anything as far as breaking down until recently. I didn’t have it wet enough to start and then I don’t think I had the right mix of stuff. It wasn’t getting hot at all. I found that mushrooms were growing and it was stinky. It seemed I may have been putting too much of the donkey straw along with the manure in as the straw wasn’t breaking down very well. I added regular dirt for microbes, watered it more, added more grass clippings, and started chopping up leftover vegetables and fruits to help break down faster. It now smells earthy and is breaking down faster, but I may have several more months to go before it is ready. I use a large Aerobin and it is not supposed to need turning, but I still turn as much as I can every other week or so.

How long after fertilizing should I leave things alone before adding more fertilizer? I was going to give it a week or two to see how my plants respond. If they still aren’t growing, would you do a more in depth soil analysis or something else? I apologize for all the questions, but I was so excited at the promised results of square foot gardening and am frustrated that I made so many mistakes. I live way out in the country and all my neighbors row gardens are absolutely bountiful- zucchinis bigger than I’ve ever seen! But my pretty raised beds have diseased looking plants barely growing in them!
Hmgentry
Hmgentry

Back to top Go down

Post  Hmgentry 7/18/2021, 9:29 pm

Thank you for the replies- it is very helpful. Any ideas on finding high quality compost until mine is ready? I started mine in may, but it wasn’t doing much of anything as far as breaking down until recently. I didn’t have it wet enough to start and then I don’t think I had the right mix of stuff. It wasn’t getting hot at all. I found that mushrooms were growing and it was stinky. It seemed I may have been putting too much of the donkey straw along with the manure in as the straw wasn’t breaking down very well. I added regular dirt for microbes, watered it more, added more grass clippings, and started chopping up leftover vegetables and fruits to help break down faster. It now smells earthy and is breaking down faster, but I may have several more months to go before it is ready. I use a large Aerobin and it is not supposed to need turning, but I still turn as much as I can every other week or so.

How long after fertilizing should I leave things alone before adding more fertilizer? I was going to give it a week or two to see how my plants respond. If they still aren’t growing, would you do a more in depth soil analysis or something else? I apologize for all the questions, but I was so excited at the promised results of square foot gardening and am frustrated that I made so many mistakes. I live way out in the country and all my neighbors row gardens are absolutely bountiful- zucchinis bigger than I’ve ever seen! But my pretty raised beds have diseased looking plants barely growing in them!
Hmgentry
Hmgentry

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/18/2021, 9:30 pm

Hmgentry wrote: So I’ve started soaking it twice a day until the moisture meter says it’s very moist, almost to wet. It is dry again by the next watering.

It will do this until the peat becomes soaked. It is pulling the moisture from the rest of the soil mixture and storing it. Once everything, including the peat, is moist it will stabilize. Keep on keeping on!

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Hmgentry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/18/2021, 9:38 pm

Hmgentry wrote: I found that mushrooms were growing and it was stinky.

When compost becomes "stinky" it generally indicates that there is too much green (high nitrogen) material, and not enough brow (high carbon) material. Adding things like grass cpippings only makes it worse. Add high carbon things like pine pellets, dry straw, dried leaves, etc.

How long after fertilizing should I leave things alone before adding more fertilizer? I was going to give it a week or two to see how my plants respond.

I would suggest not adding any more fertilizer until the moisture issue is solved. There is probably plenty of nutrients available in the soil mixture, but microbes can't move around in the mixture unless there is adequate moisture. If microbes can't move around, they can't break down the organic fertilizers and make them available to the plants.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Hmgentry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hmgentry 7/22/2021, 8:56 am

New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil C06c1710New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil C06c1710New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil C06c1710
Hmgentry
Hmgentry

Back to top Go down

Post  Hmgentry 7/22/2021, 8:58 am

New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil 9fedb310
New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil 41afcd10
New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil 26832410New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil 9fedb310
New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil 41afcd10
New SGFer with nutrient deficient soil 26832410
Hmgentry
Hmgentry

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/22/2021, 9:58 am

Looks like the new leaves are showing promise. They are a darker green, indicating that the soil is stabilizing a little.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Hmgentry 7/22/2021, 10:22 am

Yes! I’m feeling hopeful about turning this around. 2 of the zucchini plants flowered today!

Regarding the compost- if I let grass clippings brown before adding to the compost, is it considered a brown or still a green?
Hmgentry
Hmgentry

Back to top Go down

Post  Hmgentry 7/29/2021, 9:45 am

A big thank you for the advice. I soaked the beds for several days in a row and it appears that the peat is finally saturated. The beds are staying moist now and I only have to water once a day, if that. I did another soil test and the nutrients were again depleted- maybe from soaking the bed with so much water?- so I refertilized and the plants are taking off. Tons of squash and zucchini blossoms, everything coming in green and finally growing!
Hmgentry
Hmgentry

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/29/2021, 10:00 am

Hmgentry wrote: I did another soil test and the nutrients were again depleted- maybe from soaking the bed with so much water?- so I refertilized and the plants are taking off. Tons of squash and zucchini blossoms, everything coming in green and finally growing!

Glad to hear that things are improving, but be aware that soil tests are next to useless for organic mixes and/or organic fertilizers.  Soil tests only test for the available N-P-K, which is provided by synthetic fertilizers. They have no capability to test for the nutrients provided in the compost and made available to plants by the microbial life in the soil.

The  only exception to that is a pH test, but even that is seldom necessary. As compost is broken down by the microbes, it tends towards a neutral pH, which the vegetable plants love.

Don't overthink your gardening, trust the soil food web to take care of your plants.  In other words, don't feed the plants, feed the soil and let the soil feed the plants. Good quality compost will do that for you. Adding fertilizer should not be necessary.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/5/2021, 8:34 am

Hi HMGentry.  I'm sorry I haven't seen your posts before.  Looks like you've been taken good care of.  :-)

Welcome from Buford, GA.  I love your beds...  What a nice set-up!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Simso 12/22/2021, 7:55 pm

That is a nicely laid out set of beds
Simso
Simso

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/22/2021, 10:08 pm

Whose beds?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Simso 12/23/2021, 1:07 am

Was talkign about hmgentrys, super nice setup, wish i had that much space
Simso
Simso

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down