Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Miniature Plants Toplef10Miniature Plants 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Miniature Plants I22gcj10Miniature Plants 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Miniature Plants Toplef10Miniature Plants 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Miniature Plants I22gcj10Miniature Plants 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Miniature Plants

3 posters

Go down

Miniature Plants Empty Miniature Plants

Post  GardenFairy 6/10/2021, 3:15 pm

I teased about putting fairies in my garden but now I really have a fairy garden. All of my plants are miniature. I started the garden in March of 2020 and did a second set of beds in Fall of 2020. I used different compositions of compost for both and as far as I know, the ratios are correct. But in both beds, the plants grow, make a few vegetables and die. The tomatoes did well, but the vines only grew about a foot long, the pepper and bush beans plants are about six inches. This seems to be a pattern. From what I've researched, I think the store-bought compost might be to blame as some people are saying it may not be fully composted. But the one garden bed was started a year ago and I have been adding mostly homemade compost since the initial planting. Does anyone know what to do to make it work? I love the idea of SFG but next to the beds with miracle grow soil, it is not working. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I still have a lot of peat moss and vermiculite for the new beds so I don't want to repeat it. Thanks for your thoughts.
GardenFairy
GardenFairy

Back to top Go down

Miniature Plants Empty Re: Miniature Plants

Post  OhioGardener 6/10/2021, 3:31 pm

GardenFairy, it sounds as if you got some bad compost that had been contaminated with a broadleaf herbicide, such as Grazon. The Grazon herbicide sprayed on pastures passes through the digestive tract of cows and into their manure. Composting contaminated manure will not remove the herbicide. Over time, several years, the herbicide will gradually disappear, but I don't know of any remedy for quickly getting rid of it.

Others may have better suggestions, and be able to offer some help, but I can't think of any other solutions for the symptoms you report.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4550

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/10/2021, 4:20 pm

Garden Fairy,  I'm so sorry you are having this problem.  Beside Grazon herbicide, another possibility may be substantial wood pieces in one or more of the composts.  Did you fluff the peat moss before measuring? Do you remember the brands that you used?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenFairy 6/10/2021, 5:15 pm

sanderson wrote:Garden Fairy,  I'm so sorry you are having this problem.  Beside Grazon herbicide, another possibility may be substantial wood pieces in one or more of the composts.  Did you fluff the peat moss before measuring?  Do you remember the brands that you used?
In garden A, I know I used (Black Kow?) compost. Something like Nature's Organic- it might have been Happy-Grow. The package was similar? Mushroom compost. Timberline cow manure and compost. Honestly, I got Covid after the day I put it all in and my brain got wiped but I'm pretty sure this is what it was.

In Garden B, Black Cow or/and timberline cow manure and compost, chicken manure (I think it was Coop Poop) brand. Mushroom compost and Uncle Jim's worm castings. I don't recall there being a lot of wood pieces. We did get a bag like that that was supposed to be potting soil for a different project, but we took it back to the store.

I did fluff and wet the peat moss, though I didn't soak it as I see some people suggested. I measured it in buckets, so the rations should have been correct otherwise. Thanks for your thoughts.
GardenFairy
GardenFairy

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenFairy 6/10/2021, 5:19 pm

OhioGardener wrote:GardenFairy, it sounds as if you got some bad compost that had been contaminated with a broadleaf herbicide, such as Grazon. The Grazon herbicide sprayed on pastures passes through the digestive tract of cows and into their manure. Composting contaminated manure will not remove the herbicide. Over time, several years, the herbicide will gradually disappear, but I don't know of any remedy for quickly getting rid of it.

Others may have better suggestions, and be able to offer some help, but I can't think of any other solutions for the symptoms you report.
That could be it, because we have limited sources here for stores. I think the same was used in both beds. But we have a lot of that type and they have been using it at the library garden in the miracle-grow beds too and don't seem to have a problem... Hmmm... Thanks for the information. You may have hit on something. I'll avoid that kind in the next garden for sure!
GardenFairy
GardenFairy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down