Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How many of us started early this year? Toplef10How many of us started early this year? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How many of us started early this year? I22gcj10How many of us started early this year? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How many of us started early this year? Toplef10How many of us started early this year? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How many of us started early this year? I22gcj10How many of us started early this year? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How many of us started early this year?

4 posters

Go down

How many of us started early this year? Empty How many of us started early this year?

Post  quiltbea 5/21/2010, 10:57 pm

I live in my zone 5A and our last expected frost date is May 30th but I was so eager to get started this year (I was a beginner last year), that I started many things early.
Today I transplanted eggplant, peppers and zucchini.
Tomorrow I will be transplanting more peppers, lettuces, and my tomato plants which I have had hardening for 3 days.
How many of us started early this year? 05-21-10
Here on the garden bench are two trays awaiting transplanting. The purchased lilac is in the left tray, a yellow Primrose which will go along the driveway, and the chives and basil will go in the raised beds. In the right tray are a few varieties of tomatoes I started from seed (my first time ever and I've had a ball), including Rose, Brayndwine, Delicious, Matt's Wild Cherry, Purple Cherokee, Green Zebra, and San Manzano 3 which will be going into the beds tomorrow, the 22nd. I'll keep my heavy row cover handy just in case we get a frosty night.
Wish me luck that the frost is ended for this year.
I've already harvested lettuces, mesclun mix, all lettuce mix, radishes, and Swiss chard and tomorrow I'll be cutting spinach. I've enjoyed this 2nd year so much because of all I learned the first year. Thank goodness I ordered and read about Square Foot Gardening and took the plunge. I love it.
Has anyone else in New England been harvesting anything?
How many of us started early this year? 05-15-12
I even put a couple of Matt's Wild Cherry tomatoes in the A-frame to grow there for the whole season.
I'm just giddy over my garden this year.
Let's see pics and hear about other N E gardens this year.

Last edited by boffer on 5/21/2010, 11:09 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : to correct spelling errors)
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

How many of us started early this year? Empty Re: How many of us started early this year?

Post  martha 5/22/2010, 11:45 pm

Planted yes. Harvested - no. I am jealous!

In 5b/6a the forecast was for several warm nights. That takes me to late enough in May that I am willing to gamble.

I agree completely about enjoying this year. I had a lot of fun last year, but so far this year is even better.

But I am jealous - you are well north of me, and I am having difficulties with my radishes. They need to grow quickly, and mine don't.

Can you tell me what kind and how you are doing it?
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

How many of us started early this year? Empty Re: How many of us started early this year?

Post  camprn 5/23/2010, 8:00 am

I have had to build gardens from scratch this year and I got a pretty early start with that. I am in zone 5a & I have been harvesting greens (spinach, chard) since May 1 with no row cover. The blooms are absolutely crazy on the peas. Beet greens soon. I don't do radishes, so I planted none. I have most of the boxes built now so I may be able to put the rest of my cooler weather starts in today. Next week (Memorial Day) I will put out the warm weather starts. Planting the beans today and some other seeds too. Hopefully photos later today. Very Happy
On a side note, I had some nasty large shrub stumps that were doing to take me many days to remove by hand Shocked, but a friend came over with his Jeep and winched them all out yesterday, so, now onto the flower beds... Oh Boy! flower
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 5/23/2010, 9:30 am

I'm not in your NE area but I sure did start early -- toooo early. I've seldom been successful starting seeds. I tried again this year. Most got tall and leggy because I don't have the right kind of light or a place to put a light directly over them. They were intended mostly for our new 4x4 which STILL isn't ready. Bummer.

The box is ready but the spot we'll put it isn't. The only thing that really looks like it will be worth the early start is the broccoli. Live and Learn! And I sure am learning! Love it.

Claire How many of us started early this year? Icon_flower
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/23/2010, 10:01 am

martha....I amended the soil squares with composted manure and alfalfa pellets before I planted.
I love having soil in raised beds like this. It stays so pliable and when one wants to plant anything, the trowel easily removes the soil
I dug out about 6-7" of soil (my beds are about 11" deep), put a couple of trowels of composted manure and a handful of alfalfa pellets in, mixed it into the bottom layer with the trowel, then replaced the layer I'd removed, tamping it down a bit.
I bought a huge bag of alfalfa pellets at the local feedstore last year realizing that alfalfa helps improve the soil. The pellets seem to be working as well. I add a cupful to every hole I open for transplants or seeding along with some composted manure. I make sure the pellets are underground. I don't want any rabbits raiding my garden.
Also, I just scatter the tiny radish seeds in slightly depressed rows on the top and cover it with a layer of vermiculite only. Radishes grow close to the top and its their colorful shoulders showing thru the soil that helps me tell when they are ready.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 5/25/2010, 9:47 pm

Brilliant, Quiltbea! Are the alfalfa pellets the same as the ones packaged for horses?

I am going to try the vermiculite trick also.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/25/2010, 9:57 pm

martha, yes the pellets are horse feed. I mix it in with a bucket of composted manure and put one or two trowels of it in the holes before I transplant or sow seeds.
I like vermiculite over my rows because its easy to see the rows and it also makes it easier for the seed to germinate.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down