Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto Toplef10Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto I22gcj10Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto Toplef10Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto I22gcj10Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto

+6
donnainzone5
Kelejan
AtlantaMarie
sanderson
markqz
cholyk
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto Empty Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto

Post  cholyk 3/16/2021, 8:43 pm

So excited to try gardening! We have a tiny backyard with a miniscule patch that gets decent sun so square foot gardening seemed like a no-brainer.  Last year we splurged on artificial grass so I decided to build an elevated 3x5 box with a trellis.  Our neighbour also put a bird feeder right on the other side of the fence so the squirrels use the fence like a highway with a birdfeeder rest-stop. I'm convinced they're going to decide our garden is a buffet so I'm also working on chicken wire cage that will cover the trellis as well. Can't wait to seed our first plants April 3!Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto Img_9910
cholyk
cholyk

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto Empty Re: Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto

Post  markqz 3/16/2021, 9:25 pm

Welcome cholyk!

That's a nice bit of craftsmanship you got going! I'm just going to pretend I'm not envious Smile

Is your box stationed against a north wall, then?
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto Empty Re: Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto

Post  cholyk 3/16/2021, 9:37 pm

markqz wrote:Welcome cholyk!

That's a nice bit of craftsmanship you got going! I'm just going to pretend I'm not envious Smile

Is your box stationed against a north wall, then?
Thanks! And yes, the fence is on the north side. The west side has a stand of trees between us and the neighbourhood soccer field so we get quite a bit of shade but a decent amount of midday sun (I think?)
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/16/2021, 10:41 pm

Beautiful bed!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

cholyk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 3/16/2021, 11:16 pm

cholyk wrote:The west side has a stand of trees between us and the neighbourhood soccer field so we get quite a bit of shade but a decent amount of midday sun (I think?)
It should get some midday sun, and of course you'll have those nice 15 hour days.

I can't say whether it actually helped, but what I did with my north-wall garden was to paint the wall behind it white to reflect more light. This year I'm thinking of covering it with aluminum foil. Like you I have trees on the west (north west) so my hours of direct sunlight are a bit truncated. Or is that  trunk-ated ?
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

cholyk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/22/2021, 8:45 am

Hi Cholyk.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA!  That IS a beautiful bed....  :-)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cholyk 3/22/2021, 8:07 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Hi Cholyk.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA!  That IS a beautiful bed....  :-)
Thanks AtlantaMarie! I wish we had more space and sunlight to make it bigger. I’ve add a cage and raised the trellis on Sanderson’s advice. And I’ve added my Mel’s Mix. Now I just need the plants!
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/23/2021, 8:15 am

When everyone recommends you start small, there's a reason, lol!  It's very easy to get overwhelmed....  I think you have a great size to start with!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cholyk 4/3/2021, 9:01 am

LOL, I know. I'm restraining myself. I realized yesterday that our barbeque actually gets sunlight most of the day. My husband is giving me the evil eye but I think there will be a second 3x5ft garden where the bbq is next year!
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/4/2021, 12:17 pm

Hey Cholyk, time to change the headline in this thread and make it your own. That empty line above is waiting for your new title so that people do not forget who you are.

If you do not want to, I will not be worried as it is your choice.

And it is beautiful box, I wish it were mine.  Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/4/2021, 1:51 pm

Cholyk, I customized the name of your thread.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/4/2021, 2:05 pm

Thanks Sanderson, you have more authority then I.  (or is it me?) English was never my strong point at school. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto Empty Re Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto

Post  cholyk 4/4/2021, 2:26 pm

Thanks guys, I think I've got it!
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/4/2021, 3:04 pm

Kelejan wrote:Thanks Sanderson, you have more authority then I.  (or is it me?) English was never my strong point at school. Very Happy
I have to really think some things through. You have more than me. Or, you have more than I do. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto Empty First little sprout!

Post  cholyk 4/10/2021, 9:25 pm

Holy cow, that's satisfying! 7 days and our first precocious pea has poked it' little head out! We've had unseasonably warm weather and I covered the box in plastic to try to warm the soil. I guess it worked!Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto Img_0211
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/10/2021, 9:50 pm

Cholyk,

Seeing your photo, I have to ask about the ingredients in your Mel's Mix.

From the picture, I see large-ish chunks of what appears to be compost material, as well as uncomposted wood materials.  Which composts did you use?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  cholyk 4/10/2021, 9:54 pm

I bought a compost called Duck Dirt from a local company. They said it was "young" compost and they weren't ready to sell for another month but said if I mixed it with other compost, it should be fine since I wanted to start planting right away.  I think that's where the bigger chunks came from.  I also used mushroom compost, "Premium" compost, and worm castings in equal proportions. It is an extreme closeup but yes, there are some bigger not fully composted bits in there.
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/10/2021, 11:25 pm

Hi Cholyk:  Welcome to our world, little pea shoot, and may there be many more to keep you company. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

cholyk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  cholyk 4/18/2021, 10:50 am

Hello!
It's been 14 days and 5 of 9 peas have made an appearance. Do you think I should plant a couple more just in case, or should I just wait longer to see what happens?

The weather was really warm and sunny the first week but then turned cooler and rainy. The ones that came out early are going gang busters but the two that came out later remain small and 4 peas haven't broken the surface at all. I planted 9 thinking I'd pull the smallest if they didn't all make it. I know I'm aiming for 8 when all is said and done.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto Img_0212
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/18/2021, 11:26 am

Patience is a virtue, but one not held by most gardeners....

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4524

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 4/18/2021, 1:59 pm

cholyk wrote:Hello!
It's been 14 days and 5 of 9 peas have made an appearance. Do you think I should plant a couple more just in case, or should I just wait longer to see what happens?

The weather was really warm and sunny the first week but then turned cooler and rainy.
I experience this all the time even though I live in a warmer place than you. Plants grow like crazy for a week, but then clouds will roll in, the temperatures drop, and stuff just stalls. Low temperatures for me means 60F, but that's still low enough to impair growth when accompanied by lack of sunlight.

Seeds generally want temperatures between 75F and 85F for germinating. So if your soil temps drop below that, the plants won't pop. Lately I've been using a heatpad on my germinating plants, to increase the probability of success. But it only raises temps 10F above ambient, so if temps drop to 60F, that's still not good enough. Although peas can germinate as low as 40F, I think you'll find the rate of germination is pretty low at the low end.

If it was me in your location, I would consider starting my plants indoors to guarantee germination -- I imagine you have some warm area above the water heater or near the furnace that is always warm. There's a whole section in "the book" about starting plants in vermiculite you might want to check out.

markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 4/20/2021, 9:08 pm

cholyk wrote:Hello!

The weather was really warm and sunny the first week but then turned cooler and rainy. The ones that came out early are going gang busters but the two that came out later remain small and 4 peas haven't broken the surface at all. I planted 9 thinking I'd pull the smallest if they didn't all make it. I know I'm aiming for 8 when all is said and done.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto Img_0212

What I do with my peas is I sprout them indoors using a plain old glass jar with a lid on it. I soak the seeds first overnight or until they look properly swelled up, then rinse and drain the water out leaving the peas just sitting in their own residual moisture. Rinse and repeat at least twice daily. In no time you'll see the peas sprouting. Put some in your salad if too many sprouted and plant the rest when they've got a good root going. That speeds things up nicely. HTH!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/22/2021, 12:25 pm

My first pea began to sprout 15 days after planting.  As of yesterday, I had 24 of 64.  They were pre-soaked.  Sunday will make it 3 weeks.  I'm giving it time.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/22/2021, 10:43 pm

I do the same as Mollyhespra.  I presprout them because I plant them in cold weather and they will germinate better inside and after germination I plant them outside.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto Empty Wilted Beans and cucumbers, droopy peppers

Post  cholyk 5/29/2021, 10:42 am

Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto 22b7a210
Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto 47811710
Cholyk's First SFG Garden in Toronto Ab5dc310Hi all,
Things have been going along pretty well with just a few head scratchers (I’m pretty sure my lettuce should be way bigger by now).

Anyway, we went from 30C to 3C in three days and had about 8mm of rain yesterday. Now several of my little bean seedlings have wilted/curled leaves and both my cucumber plants leaves are wilted. And my jalapeño looks droopy and sad. 

1. Do you think it was the cold? 
2. Should I have covered them last night? The weather network promised no frost! 
3. Do you think they are too wet? The soil does not seem waterlogged and I have a good Mel’s mix?
4. Will they bounce back?
5. Is there anything I should have done/should do next time?
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next