Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Toplef10N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 I22gcj10N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Toplef10N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 I22gcj10N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest: March and April 2021

+3
nrstooge
OhioGardener
Scorpio Rising
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Empty N&C Midwest: March and April 2021

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/1/2021, 8:49 am

Good morning, everyone!  Spring is in the air, it sure was over the weekend anyways.  Looking forward to more daylight, and planting!  

I have plans to relocate my rhubarb to get it out of my clay terrible soil, but it was soggy wet back where my beds are.  Need to wait until things dry out a bit.  

As I said, I ordered replacements for my strawberry box, and a few replacements in the asparagus bed.  Sounds like work!  

What’s up where you are?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Empty Re: N&C Midwest: March and April 2021

Post  OhioGardener 3/1/2021, 10:07 am

Yep, Spring is in the air!  It was 65ºF yesterday, and I actually got some work done outside while enjoying the warm breezes in the sunshine. Remember, SR, it isn't work if you enjoy it! Smile   You're right about getting the Rhubarb out of the heavy, wet clay soil - they just don't like that. I have two new gooseberry plants to get into my BTE garden, but I didn't get that done yesterday, so that is still on my to-do list.  In a couple weeks I'll be starting seeds indoors.

N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Spring18

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4536

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/1/2021, 11:25 am

I was glad you took that pic of your green onions, OG.  I struggle with how to space/plant them.  

What do gooseberries taste like?  I assume they are a bush-type growth?  Is the bush perennial, or do you chop it back?  

I want some grape vines....miss Concords!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/1/2021, 12:03 pm

Thanks, SR!  I just sow the onion seeds on top of the moist soil, cover with vermiculite, spray the vermiculite to completely dampen, then put them on a heat mat with a plastic cover over them with plastic. They germinate in 3 to 5 days.  When I transplant them, I bunch them with 3 or 4 plants, poke a hole with the dibble, stick them in and firm the soil around them.  Soon, we're eating fresh bunching onions.  Yum, yum... Very Happy 

I took out all of the grape vines, they became magnets for the Japanese Beetles, and I got tired of fighting them.

Yes, Gooseberries are a perennial bush. They set fruit on 2nd or 3rd year growth, so pruning is necessary every fall after they go dormant. The bushes get about 4' tall. The berries get sweet when they ripen, and make the most delicious pies, jams, and jellies. But, bite into one that isn't ripe and it'll pucker your mouth for a week!  I have found that most people that like Rhubarb pie, love Gooseberry pie.

Picking the berries can be a bit of a challenge, though. Notice the thorns on the branches?  The deer don't like the bushes because of those thorns.
N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Gooseb10

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/1/2021, 6:28 pm

Oh yeah, they could bite ya!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/7/2021, 4:46 pm

Started Swiss Chard and Kale seeds under lights today, so they'll be ready to transplant into the beds in mid-April. Can't wait to get fresh Kale & Chard! Smile

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

vanclan and lvanderb like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/9/2021, 6:13 am

Bought this at TSC Saturday, can’t wait to try it!  

https://www.burpee.com/gardening-supplies/seed-starting/superseed-seed-starting-tray-36-cell-prod500860.html
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  nrstooge 3/9/2021, 2:38 pm

I started leeks, shallots, and bunching onions and a few flowers last month.. then a few weeks later .. lettuce, kale, spinach, etc.  2 weeks ago started eggplant and tomatoes - just have herbs and direct sowing now.  I've been planting by the moon phases for each veggie.  So far all are thriving.  (3 small grow lights worth).  They are ready for transplanting now. 

Happy planting!
nrstooge
nrstooge

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/9/2021, 6:47 pm

The harbingers of spring, the Robins, arrived today, so Spring can't be far off.  There were 6 Robins in the garden area this morning looking to see how many worms they could find. Meanwhile, haven't see any Dark-eyed Juncos (Snow Birds) for the past week, so hopefully they've gone back north and taken the snow with them.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/12/2021, 8:32 pm

Beautiful day, almost 70ºF, a great day for garden work. Cleaned up two beds, broadcast some Alfalfa pellets to feed the microbes, and then added an inch or so of compost to get the beds ready for planting.  Have bunching onions hardening off so they can be transplanted into one bed in a week or so, and have Swiss Chard and Lacinato Kale seedlings started under lights so that they can get transplanted into the bed in early April.

Pulled the first bunch of Red Welsh Bunching Onions today. Had a couple of them in this evening's salad, and they were delicious! It is nice having perennial bunching onions to provide early spring onions.
N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Red_we10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/14/2021, 12:15 pm

Happy Pi Day!  3.14. And Albert Einstein’s birthday!

Got some earlies started, cabbage, chard, green onions, parsley, cilantro, lettuces, broccoli and broccoli raab (first time!).

Still cold here but the sun helps!  Saw a dark eyed junco today, still winter for a bit.  My rhubarb is getting red but still underground.  Did get a 3ft. Fire ring to transplant it into at TSC.  Not quite ready.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/14/2021, 3:30 pm

Started a new compost bin made out of pallets.  It is 40"x40"x48" high. Still have to line the inside with landscape fabric, and have to put the slides for the boards to close off the front.  It should be a nice addition to the gardens when it is done. Ran out of space for compost last year, so "just one more compost bin" should do it.  Very Happy

N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Front_10

N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Left_v10

N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Right_11

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Empty Re new compost.....

Post  Madrien 3/14/2021, 4:09 pm

Hi Ohio Gardener,

In the photos of your recent post on new compost I noticed you have two of the Jora tumbler type composts.  I bought one of these here in Canada last spring and I am not sure i am doing it properly.  The compost is set up right in my electric fenced garden area (we have many bears and grizzlies in our area) but the decomposing seems to be very slow.  In the summer I watched a lot of videos that raved about how hot the center of the compost gets and this never really happened with mine.  I originally put in clean wood sawdust from my sons local mill (all the wood he mills is to untreated wood) and then I switched to just soil to see if the compost would heat up.  I wondered if you could offer some advice?

Tks madrien
Madrien
Madrien

Female Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/14/2021, 4:22 pm

Madrien, you don't mention what you use for the "green" material in your composter.  I use the 2 Jora JK-270 composters to compost kitchen scraps and coffee grounds, and pine pellets for the "brown" material. I have a neighbor that brings me her juicer pulp to compost, so I get a lot of greens to add to the composters. The compost quickly heats to 140ºF to 160ºF, and processes into compost very quickly. With the two composters, I have four bins for compost, and each bin completes in a month.  So, by the time the 4th bin is full, I am ready to empty the 1st bin, and start fill it again. I rotate through the 4 bins all summer long.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Empty Re New Compost

Post  Madrien 3/14/2021, 4:36 pm

I use Kitchen scraps....and I cut up large pieces like watermelon in small pieces as suggested by book that came with it.
Madrien
Madrien

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Empty Re: New Compost

Post  Madrien 3/14/2021, 4:40 pm

I also wondered what happens through the winter, does it continue to heat up or is it too cold....and I have the Canadian version of the Jora called Joracan NE271 I believe it is the same as your JK-270
Madrien
Madrien

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/14/2021, 4:57 pm

Madrien wrote:I also wondered what happens through the winter, does it continue to heat up or is it too cold....and I have the Canadian version of the Jora called Joracan NE271 I believe it is the same as your JK-270

Yes, it will continue composting through the winter, but does get as hot as it does in the summer. The middle of the compost typically heats to around 110ºF to 120ºF during the winter, and it takes longer to finish the compost - about a month and a half or so.  This winter, for the first time ever, the compost in the tumbler froze solid after we had several days in the minus 10ºF range. But, as soon as the weather warmed above freezing, the compost started working agin.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Madrien 3/14/2021, 5:05 pm

Thanks!

I will stick with it then.  Maybe I was putting two much sawdust in it.  I was ready to abandon this expensive item and go old school but maybe give it another chance.  I will clean it out and start from scratch again following letter of the law, lol.
Madrien
Madrien

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/14/2021, 6:08 pm

Madrien wrote:Thanks!

I will stick with it then.  Maybe I was putting two much sawdust in it.  I was ready to abandon this expensive item and go old school but maybe give it another chance.  I will clean it out and start from scratch again following letter of the law, lol.

If it isn't heating up, that usually means too much carbon (brown), and not enough nitrogen (green).  An easy way to fix that is by adding coffee grounds or alfalfa pellets. If you have a coffee shop near you, see if they will save some coffee grounds for you, and mix them into the compost. They'll heat up very quickly.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Madrien likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Madrien 3/14/2021, 6:44 pm

Thanks its this kind of info I need....good tip re the coffee grounds...like I said I am a very new gardener....always thought I had a brown thumb but was determined to change the color over time lol.  You have been very helpful.
Madrien
Madrien

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/15/2021, 6:10 pm

Madrien wrote:Thanks its this kind of info I need....good tip re the coffee grounds...like I said I am a very new gardener....always thought I had a brown thumb but was determined to change the color over time lol.  You have been very helpful.
Welcome madrien!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/17/2021, 6:53 pm

Finished the new compost bin today. Anchored the sides to ensure they stay in place, lined it with landscape fabric to keep the compost in the bin, and added "tracks" to the front to enable sliding boards in to close the front as it fills.  Now to start cleaning the gardens and composting the trimmings....

N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Front_11

N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Left_v11
N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Right_12

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/18/2021, 11:32 am

Aren't you concerned that the two sides will get pushed out due to the pressure of the compost inside the bin.  I used this with the bin that I built.  A little bit expensive but it works.  I only have to remove it when I am doing a lot of work in the bin such as filling it up.  I just leave it connected when I am just getting a little compost to spread around.  The boards in the front also are easy to remove and just slide out.
N&C Midwest: March and April 2021 Compos16
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/18/2021, 11:55 am

yolos wrote:Aren't you concerned that the two sides will get pushed out due to the pressure of the compost inside the bin.  I used this with the bin that I built.  A little bit expensive but it works.  I only have to remove it when I am doing a lot of work in the bin such as filling it up.  I just leave it connected when I am just getting a little compost to spread around.  The boards in the front also are easy to remove and just slide out.

I haven't had a problem with the older bins pushing out, so I haven't been too concerned. But, if they do start to push outward, I'll do something similar to what you've done.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/21/2021, 6:15 pm

darn!  Hurt my back......but got my 3x7 strawberry bed replanted with bare root plants.  All Tribute.  New one on me!  

So conundrum.  Asparagus bed.  Started last year.  Got overwhelmed with grass.  Plus’s I have really crappy clay soil.  I have 10 “replacement” bare roots....the whole bed sucks.

I wanna bail.  It is so crappy......HELP.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next