Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
does anyone use simple grow worm castings? Toplef10does anyone use simple grow worm castings? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

does anyone use simple grow worm castings? I22gcj10does anyone use simple grow worm castings? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
does anyone use simple grow worm castings? Toplef10does anyone use simple grow worm castings? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

does anyone use simple grow worm castings? I22gcj10does anyone use simple grow worm castings? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

does anyone use simple grow worm castings?

5 posters

Go down

does anyone use simple grow worm castings? Empty does anyone use simple grow worm castings?

Post  stevenfstein 2/9/2021, 12:43 pm

advertisement states they are 100% pure and a 25 pound bag runs $30. My first year with SFG coming up and I have never used castings before. I have about 144 sq ft so from what I've read one bag should do the trick. Just wondering if this is a good brand or is there something else you would suggest.

Best... Steve
stevenfstein
stevenfstein

Back to top Go down

does anyone use simple grow worm castings? Empty Re: does anyone use simple grow worm castings?

Post  sanderson 2/11/2021, 2:55 am

Steven, It  is recommended that worm castings be limited to 10% of the total blended composts.  All manure-based compost limited to 20% of the blended composts.  The other 70% of the blended composts should be from other sources such as leaf mold, composted cotton burr, mushroom compost, veggie-based composts, greens and/or forest products, lobster compost, etc.

Here is a good post on Mel's Mix and its ingredients.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t7451-mel-s-mix-how-strong-is-your-backbone

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

does anyone use simple grow worm castings? Empty Re: does anyone use simple grow worm castings?

Post  JAM23 2/11/2021, 4:02 pm

Thank you for the clarification that worm castings should account for 10% of the total blended composts. That help out a lot! Most worm castings that I have seen are sold by the pound. My next question is: How many cubic feet is a 30 pound bag of worm castings? Can anyone shed some light on how to determine how many pounds of worm castings one might need per cubic foot?

Thanks!
JAM23
JAM23

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/11/2021, 5:17 pm

Converting pounds to cubic feet depends on the product. I'm estimating 1 to 1 1/2 cu ft. If you are going to set your beds on the ground, the earthworms will come! So, buying castings is just a option when you start. BB\'s happy face

For 144 sq ft of Mel's Mix, you will need 72 cu ft of ingredients. One-third or 24 cu ft each, will be a variety of composts, coarse vermiculite (6 bags of 4 cu ft), and fluffed up peat moss (5 or 6 bales of 3 cu ft bales of compressed peat moss).

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 2/11/2021, 5:25 pm

JAM23, the local hydroponics shop sells Wiggle Worm worm castings in a 30 pound bag for $18. They list the 30# bag as 1 cu ft.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4537

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 2/11/2021, 5:54 pm

Wow! Thanks so much for the super fast reply! I am getting really excited for spring and making my first SFG's even though the temps here are still single digits! Brrrrrrr....
JAM23
JAM23

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/13/2021, 12:31 am

I use whatever brand TSC carries.....love it.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  stevenfstein 2/13/2021, 9:00 am

Sorry if my original post was not quite clear. I did not thoroughly read the chapter that called for multiple types of compost and so I built the raised bed last year with 1/3 course vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 composted cow manure. I now want to add additional materials to kind of get me to where I should have been. I probably want to add about 1 - 2 inches of new compost so between 5 - 10 cu. yards of material. I will add lobster compost, the earthworm castings and mushroom compost. Based on that, am I correct in thinking that the 25 lb bag of worm castings is about right? Nothing has been planted yet so want to start off on the right track. I thinking that 12 bags (12 cu. ft.) of lobster compost and 12 bags of mushroom compost (12 cu. ft) should be fairly close. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks... Steve
stevenfstein
stevenfstein

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 2/13/2021, 9:31 am

stevenfstein wrote: I probably want to add about 1 - 2 inches of new compost so between 5 - 10 cu. yards of material. I will add lobster compost, the earthworm castings and mushroom compost. Based on that, am I correct in thinking that the 25 lb bag of worm castings is about right? Nothing has been planted yet so want to start off on the right track. I thinking that 12 bags (12 cu. ft.) of lobster compost and 12 bags of mushroom compost (12 cu. ft) should be fairly close. Is there something I'm missing?

You're on the right track, Steve, and that mixture will give you a rich soil for growing your plants. I would probably use 2 bags of worm castings to give approximately 10% of the mixture, but not more than that. Check the contents/ingredients of the mushroom compost carefully - some of them are nothing more than composted wood chips. If possible, allow a couple weeks or so after the new compost is added before planting the beds to give time for the microbes to start working on making the nutrients plant-available.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  stevenfstein 2/13/2021, 11:38 am

Thank you all for your help - looking forward to getting started. One (probably not) last question. At the beginning of the year or if I try my luck at succession planting, does the replenishing of the mulch also require 3 or 4 types? If each of my plots is 4x3, how much of the mix is required? 

Best....  Steve
stevenfstein
stevenfstein

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 2/13/2021, 11:59 am

One last (probably not) answer, Steve.  Smile   The Mel's Mix is a one time process, and after that the beds are refreshed with a quality compost. There isn't any right or wrong answer for "how much", though. Each bed, and each time, is different.  I refresh the compost on mine to bring the soil level back up to compensate for the shrinkage that occurs from plants feeding on it. For some beds that is 1" of compost or mulch, and for other beds it may be 2" or 3" needed. Heavier feeding plants will deplete the soil faster, and the soil will need more refresh, while lighter feeding plants will have less effect. Additionally, heavy microbial activity will break down the compost faster.  For example, I have found that if I regularly apply compost tea to the beds, the compost breaks down faster and requires more to be added to the beds.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/13/2021, 5:54 pm

stevenfstein wrote:Thank you all for your help - looking forward to getting started. One (probably not) last question. At the beginning of the year or if I try my luck at succession planting, does the replenishing of the mulch also require 3 or 4 types? If each of my plots is 4x3, how much of the mix is required? 

Best....  Steve
You probably meant compost instead of mulch?? Wink

Since your beds are 3'x4', it will be fairly easy to eyeball the drop in height of the Mel's Mix.  Each inch drop = around 1 cubic foot.

The SFG Foundation has long included mushroom compost as one source of compost.  Just this week, the topic of mushroom compost was discussed behind the curtain.  The result of conversation is that it will be continued to be recommended as one source.  Most mushroom compost is made specially for the mushroom industry using mainly straw and a farm manure.  After growing a few batches of mushrooms, it is pasteurized and bagged for sale as mushroom compost.  Therefore it lacks active microbes when you buy it.  By blending it with other composts, it gets re-innoculated.  Also, as OG mentioned, compost tea can also be used to increase microbial levels.  But, that's another topic.

The more different sources of compost, the more the bases are covered.  What one is low in, another will be high in.  Of course, home made compost is usually the best because of the different products tossed into the compost pile.

I like this article on mushroom compost. [Ignore the parts about making it at home.]

https://www.epicgardening.com/mushroom-compost/?fbclid=IwAR0NjWbgJF1ENjfJsp0IpocE80Oy72h5L60RNTYXrWir9n86meh00r6d5kw

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down