Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K. Toplef10First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K. I22gcj10First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K. Toplef10First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K. I22gcj10First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K.

+4
Scorpio Rising
AtlantaMarie
Hathor
learner01
8 posters

Go down

First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K. Empty First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K.

Post  learner01 7/8/2020, 10:15 am

Hi. I have built 3 beds for growing our first ever herbs and veg. As it is now July, are we too late to start growing things or is there still an opportunity.

Thank you

Mick
learner01
learner01

Back to top Go down

First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K. Empty Learners R Us

Post  Hathor 7/9/2020, 11:09 am

Hi Mick, and welcome. I too am new to SFG, and to gardening in general, really. We're still constructing our whole garden, having been involved in a major house renovation - the garden has come last! I've turned our whole patch over to SFG, and have had table-height raised beds built so it will be a no bending, no digging garden from the start, but there's only a bit of it in use at the moment. I'm in Southport, by the way, so not too far from you, with a similar climate. You can still sow french beans, carrots, salad crops, radish, spring onions, turnips, chard, spring cabbage, fennel or oriental veg and if you can get herbs in pots, or seedlings of winter cabbage or cauliflower from garden centres or supermarkets, they could go in too. The salad stuff you will be harvesting in a few weeks, and for the rest, think of it as getting ahead for winter veg, rather than beat yourself up for missing the spring. Good luck
Hathor
Hathor

learner01 likes this post

Back to top Go down

First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K. Empty Re: First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K.

Post  learner01 7/10/2020, 1:55 am

Thank you very much Hathor
learner01
learner01

Back to top Go down

First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K. Empty Re: First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K.

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/10/2020, 5:49 am

Hi Learner01 AND Hathor. Welcome from the SE USA! Glad you've joined us.

AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/10/2020, 8:44 pm

Hey!!!!  First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K. 3170584802  Welcome Hathor and learner01!!!!

Glad you are all here!  Yes, sounds like you have time for a Fall planting!  

I am not so good at fall planting; but I have successfully done it a time or 2.   Honestly, really quick crops are radsh, spinach, some lettuces, kohlrabi, turnips (I really like the Asian varieties—very crunchy, smaller, like Tokyo cross or Hakurai).

glad you\'re here
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/17/2020, 4:50 am

Learner01 and Hathor, Welcome to the Forum from California, western U.S. glad you\'re here

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K. Empty Setting up

Post  Hathor 7/17/2020, 6:12 am

Learner01, sorry, I meant to raise this the other day, but it slipped my mind at the time (senior moment!)

What with the lockdown & everything else, did you have trouble sourcing vermiculite for your SFG?

Having been horrified at the price from horticultural suppliers, I then looked at builder's merchants, but even with best terms from my builder, they quoted me £35 + VAT for 100 litres. I eventually paid around £15.50 from Kite Packaging, which really made a difference, as I needed a lot. Delivery was very quick, too.
Hathor
Hathor

plantoid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  learner01 7/17/2020, 8:55 am

Hi Hathor. So far, all I have sourced is good Vege grow compost. Haven't planted anything yet as I have mostly missed the boat this year. But it looks as if I can still start with Raddish, spinach, mature herb plants, etc. Do you think I will also need vermiculite
learner01
learner01

Hathor likes this post

Back to top Go down

First attempt at herbs and veg in the U.K. Empty Vermiculite

Post  Hathor 7/18/2020, 3:06 am

Hi Learner01. I'm just referring to Mel's Mix, the recommended ideal growing medium for Square Foot Gardening. In essence, it's designed to provide the essential nutrients for your plants while remaining friable, so it's easy to work with and retaining moisture. The 3 components: peat (or substitute, I've used composted bark), compost and coarse vermiculite cover all the requirements. The vermiculite pieces act as little sponges, taking in water and any liquid feed you might apply, then releasing it back to the roots on demand so that as the "soil" around them begins to dry after being wetted by rain or watering, the vermiculite mini-reservoirs provide the further moisture they have stored for the plants to continue being happy. At least, that's my understanding of Mel's book!

When I set up my SFG bed a few months ago, I used a third each of the composted bark (in place of peat), mixed compost, and coarse vermiculite. I admit, it was a bit of a faff, but you only do it once, and it's really easy to plant in - "looser" than soil, if you get what I mean - plus the veggies come out "cleaner", which is an added bonus!

I'm sure the more experienced Square Footers on here will be able to explain. Like you, I'm just a beginner. I haven't had a huge variety from my efforts yet, but my husband said the radishes were far superior to any shop-bought ones he'd had (I don't like them, so can't comment) and the carrots were the carrotiest-tasting carrots (it's a word, honest Embarassed ) I've ever eaten! I've even enjoyed the roasted beetroot and I've never tried that before. It's a whole new world of culinary excitement you have before you...
Hathor
Hathor

Back to top Go down

Post  learner01 7/18/2020, 4:07 am

I have been told that home grown tastes much better than shop bought so looking forward 😁. It will improve my diet. I don't do raddish but I am going to grow and then try. Tastes do change. 😄
learner01
learner01

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/18/2020, 12:30 pm

You should start sowing your overwintering cauli and spring cabbage in  a small six inch run any time now , when they get to about 120 mm tall  carefully lift the out in clumps tease them apart then transplant at 500 mm apart & puddle them in ( use lots of gentle water as soon as they have been transplanted) & perhaps put in a broken up a shop purchased bulb of garlic @ one clove every 150 mm apart in any direction . 

Over wintering late carrots for eating mid to late Dec well into April next year  can also be sown . If hard frosts or prolonged frosts of minus 4 or lower are forecast cover them with a mulch of 50 to 60 mm of deep  peat & vermiculite over the greenery .

Last edited by plantoid on 7/18/2020, 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/18/2020, 12:38 pm

Hathor wrote:Learner01, sorry, I meant to raise this the other day, but it slipped my mind at the time (senior moment!)

What with the lockdown & everything else, did you have trouble sourcing vermiculite for your SFG?

Having been horrified at the price from horticultural suppliers, I then looked at builder's merchants, but even with best terms from my builder, they quoted me £35 + VAT for 100 litres. I eventually paid around £15.50 from Kite Packaging, which really made a difference, as I needed a lot. Delivery was very quick, too.
Your vermiculite was/ is very cheap get more if you can afford it as it stores well .  I was paying £ 27 per 100 litre bag nearly 12 years ago  ( 32 bags total at the end of finally setting up 260 square feet of 900 mm deep beds over two years )
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom137 12/13/2020, 6:17 am

Hello! I know my answer is quite late but I think it can help others who will struggle with similar problem. I have to say, that July is not too late! There are still many plants you can grow that late. Especially, late varieties (eg. of carrots). Also in this part of the year you can start growing something and then bring it home. It depends on you and also weather!
Blossom137
Blossom137

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/13/2020, 7:50 pm

glad you\'re here Learner from Lytham St. Annes and Hathor for Lancashire UK. happy hi

I live in British Columbia, Canada, but will be returning to England some time in 2021.
After living in such a large country as Canada, it will be a change to live in a far smaller country.  But it is just as diverse as Canada just on a smaller scale.

I will be following this thread to see what is different between the two countries.  Here in B.C. we have long winters, short Spring and Autumn and a longish summer.  I am looking forward to shorter Winters, longer Springs and Autumns and whatever Summer we get.  I will be living in the County of Essex.  I used to live in Bedfordshire before coming to Canada.

Best of luck in your gardening, Learner01 and Hathor. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

plantoid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down