Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage Toplef10The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage I22gcj10The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage Toplef10The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage I22gcj10The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:07 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/18/2024, 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage

4 posters

Go down

The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage Empty The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage

Post  has55 7/2/2020, 6:08 pm

Looking for ideas of containing peppers plants when they grow beyond the containment cage. Pictures are helpful. A storm came through breaking several stems.

The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage Peper_10
The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage Img_1511
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage Empty Re: The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage

Post  has55 7/3/2020, 11:36 pm

is anyone else having this problem? Sanderson, you're harvesting many peppers, are you're plants extending way past the containment area?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage Empty Re: The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage

Post  OhioGardener 7/4/2020, 9:18 am

has55 wrote:is anyone else having this problem? Sanderson, you're harvesting many peppers, are you're plants extending way past the containment area?

Every year!  I plant the Bell, Banana, and Jalapeno peppers at one per square. They proceed to grow 3' tall and 2' wide. I just let them grow...

The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage Pepper30

The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage Jalape19

The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage Bell_p12

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4552

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/4/2020, 9:25 am

My problem probably exist because I have a longer summer. My plants easily get 5-6 ft tall. As you can see they have surpass two feet and it just July 4th. I just been putting up with the breakage till this year and wanted to see what ideas are out there to address it. By the way Happy Independence Day.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/4/2020, 9:42 am

has55 wrote: I just been putting up with the breakage till this year and wanted to see what ideas are out there to address it.

Breakage is one problem I seldom experience with the pepper plants.  When I transplant them to the garden, I pinch out the top of the plant to force them to branch out instead of growing straight up. Then with them planted so close in the one-per-square pattern, they grow into each other and support one another. I put a small fence around the outside of the bed to keep them from falling over the edge of the bed. The plants grow together so well that the high winds we get - typically 40 to 50 mph - during storms doesn't bother them very much.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 7/4/2020, 10:19 am

has55, if in cages, I use a piece of wire to make a half loop with two hooks, so I can hook around an escaped branch and give it support. I hope you get the idea because this is where I am suppose to say, patent pending. I learned the hard way because the first time I grew peppers way back when, a younger brother had grown some before so I asked him if he stacked or caged his pepper plants. Oh no he said. Well, when the got laden with fruit the wind kicked up and knocked them all over breaking half the main stems just above ground level. When I told my brother, he said he didn't have a problem with wind because he had stockade fencing all around. Sometimes you learn the hard way and you don't always get the benefit of beginner's luck. If you can't picture the piece of wire bent with two hooks and half a loop, I will take a picture and post later. The two hooks just hook into one of the horizontal circular wires on the cage.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/5/2020, 2:41 am

Dan, please post pictures when you can. Thank you.

OG, they don't break when they are touching each other. I'm having trouble when they extend pass the cages and are not touching the other plants for support.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/5/2020, 8:42 am

has55 wrote:OG, they don't break when they are touching each other. I'm having trouble when they extend pass the cages and are not touching the other plants for support.

No, they intertwine leaves between the plants and support each other very well. As long as I pinch the tops out to force them to be bushy instead of tall, the stems are very strong and don't break easily.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/6/2020, 4:21 am

OhioGardener wrote:
has55 wrote:OG, they don't break when they are touching each other. I'm having trouble when they extend pass the cages and are not touching the other plants for support.

No, they intertwine leaves between the plants and support each other very well. As long as I pinch the tops out to force them to be bushy instead of tall, the stems are very strong and don't break easily.
oh , that's the secret. should I take the leaf trimmer and top it off?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/6/2020, 8:22 am

has55 wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:

oh , that's the secret. should I take the leaf trimmer and top it off?

Hmmmmmm...........  Probably not.  When the pepper plants are young, with 3 or 4 sets of true leaves I pinch the top out and force the plant to send out 2 new stems at the top leaf joints. While it is doing that, the main stem grows thicker and stronger. Then the new shoots begin the plant bushing out rather than going straight up.  This is much like picking suckers off tomato plants so it focuses on developing strong roots and setting fruit instead of all plant.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

has55 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/6/2020, 7:34 pm

thank you, live and learn.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/6/2020, 10:36 pm

You mentioned your pruning tomatoes. can you mention a little bit more about how you do it? do you do it to the whole time it’s growing or do you stop at a certain time or do you start at a certain point?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/7/2020, 10:33 am

has55 wrote:You mentioned your pruning tomatoes. can you mention a little bit more about how you do it? do you do it to the whole time it’s growing or do you stop at a certain time or do you start at a certain point?

I do a lot of pruning on tomatoes, starting from when they are transplanted into the garden. I begin by pruning off any of the bottom leaves that touch, or come close to touching the soil - this greatly reduces the plant picking up disease from the soil. I only grow indeterminate tomatoes, and I grow them in the Texas Tomato Cages which are 20" diameter and 8' tall.  I pick off all suckers as they develop until the plant starts the first bloom stems. Then I let the plant grow, and keep putting the growth inside the cage. The only pruning I do then is cutting off bottom leaves as they begin drying up in order to keep the airflow open.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 7/8/2020, 9:24 am

has55, here are the pictures. The wire I used is quite heavy 10 gauge aluminum as we had a construction boom here around the turn of the millennium and Sunday mornings I would go dumpster diving with one or a couple of my brothers. Make you cry what got thrown away. Here are the  pictures. I hope my explanation makes sense now. Oh yeah, patent pending.

The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage 20200710
The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage 20200711
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/9/2020, 10:10 am

I think I got it. do you have any peppers using this process yet?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/9/2020, 7:30 pm

Clever invention.

The 2' x 7' pepper and eggplant bed as of today.  The plants are 4' tall and touching the shade cloth.  I need to add another paracord support to lift up the shade cloth.  It's hard to tell but there are some heavy eggplants bowing down the plants.
The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage Pepper16
The SFG journey-pepper plants growing beyond containment cage Pepper17

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21565

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down