Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! Toplef10Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! I22gcj10Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! Toplef10Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! I22gcj10Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!!

+6
Scorpio Rising
kootenaybrown
Dan in Ct
plantoid
yolos
docachna
10 posters

Go down

Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! Empty Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!!

Post  docachna 5/24/2020, 5:07 pm

Watered my SFG through my grid - and up pops a spooky golden colored material, the consistency of salt !

I do think it's related to salt - this hose contains softened water; another hose, which I also used to water on other beds, did not result in this material.

I've been watering from that faucet for years, and NEVER saw anything like this.

Any SWAG guesses what the heck this is ?

EDIT: trying to upload pix.Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! Img_0410
Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! Img_0412
Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! Img_0411

Last edited by docachna on 5/24/2020, 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added pix)
docachna
docachna

Back to top Go down

Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! Empty Re: Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!!

Post  yolos 5/24/2020, 5:23 pm

gross but no help here
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! Empty Re: Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!!

Post  plantoid 5/24/2020, 5:52 pm

Looks like some alga growth in the garden watering pipes that didn't drain down when you turned off the water , stagnant water in such pipes that get bacteria in in  can grow blooms of amazing colours .      Did it flush out or is it in the domestic cold water taps too ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! Empty alien invasion

Post  docachna 5/24/2020, 6:00 pm

It is NOT showing up inside the house, or in the other outside hose bib. The only difference between the two outside faucets is the one that produced this is softened water.

Plus - softened water run out into a bucket, from the same bib, does not display this stuff, only when it hits Mel's Mix in my garden !

Some reaction of the softened water with an ingredient ???
docachna
docachna

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/24/2020, 6:11 pm

I wonder .. were the things on your hand insect eggs ? Laid in the retained water in the pipe work ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  docachna 5/24/2020, 8:49 pm

plantoid wrote:I wonder .. were the things on your hand insect eggs ? Laid in the retained water in the pipe work ?

Once again - they do not appear unless the water goes into the Mel's Mix. Just running the water itself doesn't result in it.

It has to be some sort of interaction between the water (or the salt!) and the MM. I water other beds from the non-softened side of the house, and no golden salt appears.

The stuff has the consistency of salt itself. Very strange !!!
docachna
docachna

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 5/25/2020, 9:13 am

Looks like fungal growth called Slime Mold or Dog Vomit. I had it here once in the middle of the lawn after I chopped down a tree in the front yard for a place to garden and a couple of years later it popped up. Here is a link, it is basically harmless although unsightly.

http://www.southernmulch.com/faq-sometimes-i-get-mold-on-top-of-my-mulch.php
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  docachna 5/25/2020, 1:31 pm

Dan in Ct wrote:Looks like fungal growth called Slime Mold or Dog Vomit. I had it here once in the middle of the lawn after I chopped down a tree in the front yard for a place to garden and a couple of years later it popped up. Here is a link, it is basically harmless although unsightly.

http://www.southernmulch.com/faq-sometimes-i-get-mold-on-top-of-my-mulch.php

Sure looks like the same stuff. Funny - the beds in full sun are the ones where this developed, and the ones in partial sun have nothing.
docachna
docachna

Back to top Go down

Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! Empty I have found the same thing in my potting mix that I have in an enclosed container. It hasn't caused any problems for me.

Post  kootenaybrown 5/26/2020, 10:42 am

docachna wrote:Watered my SFG through my grid - and up pops a spooky golden colored material, the consistency of salt !

I do think it's related to salt - this hose contains softened water; another hose, which I also used to water on other beds, did not result in this material.

I've been watering from that faucet for years, and NEVER saw anything like this.

kootenaybrown
kootenaybrown

Male Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/26/2020, 5:54 pm

Strange!  Doesn’t seem to affect anything?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie Willers 5/27/2020, 10:16 pm

So, you can play a little bit of trial and error to see if you can isolate the problem.

You indicated that you have multiple faucets and multiple beds. Do you have multiple grids?

If you water the bed that has the mold with the same faucet that you used, by water the garden direclty WITHOUT the grid, does the mold still appear?

Try watering the same bed with that same grid but with a different water supply. Does the mould appear?

If possible, can you move the whole grid to some other place, (where you wouldn't mind potentially getting the same mold), and run some water with the each of the separate water supplies in turn, moving the grid to a different space for each water source?

Ultimately the purpose here is to narrow down conclusively whether its the water source, the grid, or the reaction when the water hits the ground. Might feel a bit like sherlock holmes by the end, but knowing the precise cause is the only way to be sure of a solution.
Eddie Willers
Eddie Willers

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/27/2020, 10:51 pm

I do everything by hand...I got nothing!  Sorry
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

Back to top Go down

Post  lvanderb 5/28/2020, 6:50 am

That definitely looks like dog vomit fungus, I've had it in full sun in my Back to Eden (wood chips) garden. Doesn't hurt anything, but it sure is strange looking!
lvanderb
lvanderb

Female Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/28/2020, 8:53 am

kootenaybrown wrote:
docachna wrote:Watered my SFG through my grid - and up pops a spooky golden colored material, the consistency of salt !

Hello Kootenay Brown, I have had dog vomit appear after I had laid some new wood chips about four or five years ago. It looked nasty but disappeared eventually.

I also notice that this is your first post to the forum, so, as Host for the Canadian Region, a belated glad you\'re here Kootenay Brown happy hi  from Kelejan in British Columbia.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!! Empty MYSTERY SOLVED

Post  docachna 8/4/2020, 10:44 am

I don't know if this will pop up for anyone to see, but I finally found the answer.

A part in our water softener resin tank failed, probably due to high water pressure, and caused the softener resin beads (that gold material you see in the photos) to flush out into the lines. Most of it seems to have come out the hose that was running to my garden. A bit came out into the house lines, but once we replaced the water pressure reduction valve (PRV), and completely flushed out the water lines into the house, it seems that no damage occurred.

Warning to all:  check to make sure that your PRV is installed in line BETWEEN the water meter and the water softener, not AFTER the water softener. The PRV in my house had been installed in the wrong location. If it had been installed in the right location, when the excessive pressure came into the house, it probably would have contained it and I would not have had the problem. If yours is in the wrong location, moving it is a simple matter for a plumber, or for you if you're so skilled.
docachna
docachna

RainyG likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/4/2020, 1:16 pm

Glad you got it sorted out, docachna. You sure got us all fooled. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/4/2020, 2:06 pm

Kelejan wrote:Glad you got it sorted out, docachna. You sure got us all fooled. Very Happy
Yes, glad you found the answer and shared it with us.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

RainyG likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum