Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello Mid Atlantic! Toplef10Hello Mid Atlantic! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello Mid Atlantic! I22gcj10Hello Mid Atlantic! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello Mid Atlantic! Toplef10Hello Mid Atlantic! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello Mid Atlantic! I22gcj10Hello Mid Atlantic! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello Mid Atlantic!

+3
countrynaturals
AtlantaMarie
Emily49
7 posters

Go down

Hello Mid Atlantic! Empty Hello Mid Atlantic!

Post  Emily49 5/4/2020, 9:10 pm

The weather has been so nice! How is everyone's garden plans coming along? I'm looking forward to doing some planting in a few days.  I have some baby toms eagerly waiting to breathe the fresh air.  
A few days ago I finished with the spring seeds, hopefully I wasn't too late. Peas, lettuce, carrots, radish, etc.

I tested the pH in my soil today and have some amending to do I think.  

Emily
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Hello Mid Atlantic! Empty Re: Hello Mid Atlantic!

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/5/2020, 7:49 am

Hi Emily. I don't think I've had the chance to welcome you from Atlanta, GA... So, welcome!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/5/2020, 10:05 am

Welcome, Emily!

So far, so good, here in Northern California. All of my spring plants are in and so are most of my summer starts. I just finished planting the rest of my summer seeds. Today I'll be working on fixing up my irrigation system from last year.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Hello Mid Atlantic! Empty Too soon

Post  olivia.walter 5/5/2020, 12:12 pm

I let me eagerness get the best of me... planted herbs, tomatoes, peas, and cucumbers last weekend because it was 70 degrees and oh so gorgeous. Now it's looking like we'll have a frost Saturday night into mother's day. Why oh why didn't stick to the age old adage... Sad
olivia.walter
olivia.walter

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/5/2020, 12:33 pm

olivia.walter wrote:I let me eagerness get the best of me... planted herbs, tomatoes, peas, and cucumbers last weekend because it was 70 degrees and oh so gorgeous. Now it's looking like we'll have a frost Saturday night into mother's day. Why oh why didn't stick to the age old adage... Sad
Been there, done that. Embarassed
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 5/5/2020, 1:25 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Hi Emily.  I don't think I've had the chance to welcome you from Atlanta, GA...  So, welcome!
Thank you!
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 5/5/2020, 1:27 pm

olivia.walter wrote:I let me eagerness get the best of me... planted herbs, tomatoes, peas, and cucumbers last weekend because it was 70 degrees and oh so gorgeous. Now it's looking like we'll have a frost Saturday night into mother's day. Why oh why didn't stick to the age old adage... Sad

Oh yes, it's oh so hard to resist! I do have peas in, they should be ok. What herbs do you grow?
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  olivia.walter 5/5/2020, 2:20 pm

Emily49 wrote:

Oh yes, it's oh so hard to resist! I do have peas in, they should be ok. What herbs do you grow?

A lot of basil (I love pesto), rosemary, oregano, sage (that lived outside all winter), peppermint, lemon balm, catnip, thyme, and nasturtium although that's not an herb...  

I'm hoping with the frost cover I have and an additional tarp, hopefully things will be okay.
olivia.walter
olivia.walter

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 5/6/2020, 2:48 pm

I have had mint in for years, I'm thinking to take it out of the SFG and give it its own pot because I'm tired of fighting with it. 
I tried "cat grass" this year, which I guess is just oats.  I haven't tried it with my cat yet. 
I started oregano an it is growing.so.slowly   Still only has its first real leaves.  I don't think it will be ready to go outside next week.  
I think I'm going to start some lavender. I had some at my old house and still have seeds. 
I actually have seeds for a ton of herbs, but can never decide where I want my "herb garden" to be, so it just doesn't happen.
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/6/2020, 6:02 pm

Emily49 wrote:I have had mint in for years, I'm thinking to take it out of the SFG and give it its own pot because I'm tired of fighting with it. 
I tried "cat grass" this year, which I guess is just oats.  I haven't tried it with my cat yet. 
I started oregano an it is growing.so.slowly   Still only has its first real leaves.  I don't think it will be ready to go outside next week. 

Remember that Oregano is a member of the Mint family and spreads wildly by both root and seed.  Just a couple days ago I spent the afternoon digging out approximately 3,000 plus or minus Oregano plants that had taken over the entire fence row where the herbs are. there is just a small patch of them now to provide the fresh cuttings we will need.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4519

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 5/6/2020, 7:57 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
Emily49 wrote:I have had mint in for years, I'm thinking to take it out of the SFG and give it its own pot because I'm tired of fighting with it. 

Remember that Oregano is a member of the Mint family and spreads wildly by both root and seed.  Just a couple days ago I spent the afternoon digging out approximately 3,000 plus or minus Oregano plants that had taken over the entire fence row where the herbs are. there is just a small patch of them now to provide the fresh cuttings we will need.
My wife planted a certain type of oregano as a ground cover adjacent to a stepping stone path.  It is remarkable how well it grows with no maintenance except for trimming with a weedeater.   And it smells great when you walk on it!
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 5/7/2020, 11:56 am

duh, I have BASIL plants started. IDK why I said oregano, but now that you say it's a ground cover, I'm going to go put it in around my beds where I haven't gotten enough planking yet. Thanks for the idea!
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/7/2020, 2:24 pm

Emily49 wrote:duh, I have BASIL plants started. IDK why I said oregano, but now that you say it's a ground cover, I'm going to go put it in around my beds where I haven't gotten enough planking yet. Thanks for the idea!

One benefit of Oregano, Emily, is that deer hate it, and won't bother it.  They not only won't eat it, but they won't walk through it unless they have to. They don't like the smell of it when it is disturbed.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/7/2020, 2:28 pm

OhioGardener wrote:One benefit of Oregano, Emily, is that deer hate it, and won't bother it.  They not only won't eat it, but they won't walk through it unless they have to. They don't like the smell of it when it is disturbed.
Good to know. Where can I order 100 lbs of oregano seeds? Razz
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/7/2020, 2:40 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:One benefit of Oregano, Emily, is that deer hate it, and won't bother it.  They not only won't eat it, but they won't walk through it unless they have to. They don't like the smell of it when it is disturbed.
Good to know. Where can I order 100 lbs of oregano seeds? Razz

lol! 

Here you go, only $266.60 per pound (4,475,200 seeds)!

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/herbs/oregano/greek-oregano-herb-seed-930.html#q=oregano&lang=en_US&start=1

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 5/7/2020, 3:29 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
Emily49 wrote:duh, I have BASIL plants started. IDK why I said oregano, but now that you say it's a ground cover, I'm going to go put it in around my beds where I haven't gotten enough planking yet. Thanks for the idea!

One benefit of Oregano, Emily, is that deer hate it, and won't bother it.  They not only won't eat it, but they won't walk through it unless they have to. They don't like the smell of it when it is disturbed.
Excellent, we have a lot of deer!
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 5/7/2020, 3:33 pm

Mikesgardn wrote:

My wife planted a certain type of oregano as a ground cover adjacent to a stepping stone path.  It is remarkable how well it grows with no maintenance except for trimming with a weedeater.   And it smells great when you walk on it!
Do you know what kind?  I have a Burpee packet that says 18" and a Ferry-Morse package that says 14-22, so I guess I don't have my ground cover here. Sad
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/8/2020, 11:41 pm

You guys should post the same conversation in an oregano thread so the info doesn't get buried in a regional general thread. Using oregano as a ground cover and deer deterrent is interesting.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t20973-oregano?highlight=oregano

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 5/10/2020, 4:10 pm

Emily49 wrote:
Mikesgardn wrote:

Do you know what kind?  I have a Burpee packet that says 18" and a Ferry-Morse package that says 14-22, so I guess I don't have my ground cover here. Sad
I have to apologize for calling it oregano.  My wife corrected me.  She planted Red Creeping Thyme.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/10/2020, 4:26 pm

Mikesgardn wrote:I have to apologize for calling it oregano.  My wife corrected me.  She planted Red Creeping Thyme.

Creeping Thyme is beautiful when planted between stepping stones, and it smells so good, too!

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 5/13/2020, 1:50 pm

Mikesgardn wrote:
Emily49 wrote:
Mikesgardn wrote:

I have to apologize for calling it oregano.  My wife corrected me.  She planted Red Creeping Thyme.

LOL! starting with oregano, no basil, no thyme!  Do I hear parsley?  sage?

I checked my seeds, I don't have Thyme...
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down