Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Good day to you all .The name is Gord. Toplef10Good day to you all .The name is Gord. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Good day to you all .The name is Gord. I22gcj10Good day to you all .The name is Gord. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Good day to you all .The name is Gord. Toplef10Good day to you all .The name is Gord. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Good day to you all .The name is Gord. I22gcj10Good day to you all .The name is Gord. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Good day to you all .The name is Gord.

+5
markqz
countrynaturals
OhioGardener
sanderson
Gord
9 posters

Go down

Good day to you all .The name is Gord. Empty Good day to you all .The name is Gord.

Post  Gord 1/13/2020, 9:29 pm

In a little town north of the 49th parallel in zones 4A or 4B is where my family and I have a small farm. We raise a few pigs, a lay flock for eggs, full size standard dark cornish and cornish cross birds for meat. Also on the farm we raise chickens for feathers. These birds have long and narrow feathers which are used for fly tying {fly fishing}. Along with these birds we keep Narragansett turkeys. Just in the last few years these turkeys have placed grand champion of breed and grand champion over all breeds at the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto Canada. We have a market garden for our food and the excess is sold from the farm house. Off farm work is forest management. This forestry work also keeps the farm supplied with logs to mill on the farm saw mill. It is my intention to use eastern white cedar 3x6 lumber for SFG box sides. I need to cut it short for now. I will continue soon .Thanks ,Gord.
Gord
Gord

Male Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Good day to you all .The name is Gord. Empty Re: Good day to you all .The name is Gord.

Post  sanderson 1/13/2020, 11:31 pm

Gord,  :canada:   Welcome to the Forum from California!  sunny   glad you\'re here

It sounds like you are pretty self sufficient, including a garden.  How in the world do you keep all of the poultry warm during your cold, snowy winter?   And, the hogs?  They must be a breed with a decent coat of hair. lots o

How lucky to have your own supply of white cedar for the beds.  May I ask what made you decide to try SFG in raised beds?  Do you have a large green house?  So many questions.  Please share more with us, including photos.  We love photos!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Good day to you all .The name is Gord. Empty Re: Good day to you all .The name is Gord.

Post  OhioGardener 1/14/2020, 7:35 am

Welcome aboard from SW Ohio, Gord!  Glad to have you here! Sounds like you keep pretty busy will all of that. Looking forward to follow your activities in building the raised bed gardens.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/14/2020, 10:22 am

happy hi from Redding, CA. Lots of friendly folks here. welcome
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 1/14/2020, 5:38 pm

Gord wrote:This forestry work also keeps the farm supplied with logs to mill on the farm saw mill. It is my intention to use eastern white cedar 3x6 lumber for SFG box sides. I need to cut it short for now. I will continue soon .Thanks ,Gord.

Hello Gord!

That sounds very heavy-duty. Having your own saw mill raises the question of whether sawdust is good in compost.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/14/2020, 6:28 pm

Welcome, Gord, glad you found us!  So do you have any gardening experience?  You don’t need it for SFG.  Have you read any of Mel’s books?  I can’t wait to hear more, what your plans are, what you like to eat, etc.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 1/14/2020, 7:24 pm

Welcome Gord from Ottawa. Great to have you with us. Looking forward to seeing how to things progress for you. We love photos (hint, hint).
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/15/2020, 6:49 am

Welcome also from the Atlanta, GA (SE USA) area. Glad you've joined us!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Good day to you all .The name is Gord. Empty Answering questions . Good day to you all .

Post  Gord 1/15/2020, 6:24 pm

So to continue: from just a short while ago. Our small farm does a little market garden. Small to some large to others perhaps. We have about 8 acres of what is named alluvial soil,class 1. A tiny creek runs through the middle of this 8 acres. From this point everything leads up hill. The rest is pasture, treed area,the main barns and outbuildings,and our family home. Seventeen acres in  total. Along with 100 acres of forest timber,mainly eastern white pine. All the land is under guidance of an  Environmental Farm Plan. Someone asked how we keep our poultry warm in our climate here in Canada Eh!.  Quite simple rather, chicken size red and white long johns and snow shoes.  As for the pigs they more that pay for the heating bills. Good day to you all .The name is Gord. Icon_winkAnother question asked was what experience we have in gardening . My wife all of her life on the family farm. On the place we are at presently 27 years. So in total between us approximately 50 very short years. It was asked do I have a greenhouse in short no but it is on the two year plan. I presently have 11 sheets of 3'x7' Pella sky lights, 700 concrete blocks, and an oil fired boiler that had been used just twice to heat a swimming pool. This should give us about 33 feet of length,we will see, it would be nice. I need to check out of this chat room. Bye Bye !
Gord
Gord

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/15/2020, 9:18 pm

Cool!  Welcome glad you\'re here  Can’t wait!  Mel’s books are super helpful, no matter what you do.  I deviate from his prescribed plan, but I think I stick to the over arching goal. So excited to see/hear about your plans and progress.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/16/2020, 3:12 am

Gord, If you have a garden doggie or kitty, we have threads to show them off. There are also poultry threads so do post a photo of your chickens in their little long johns and snow shoes. rofl

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t19879-pets-garden-kitties

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t19899-pets-garden-doggies

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t22701-pets-what-about-pigs

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Good day to you all .The name is Gord. Empty Answering questions . Good day to you all .

Post  Gord 1/16/2020, 3:29 pm

Love this time of the year. It is the days I have time to read and make adjustments to our spring and summer plans. Although it is coming to an end soon. As we now after last nights snow of 6" and with previous accumulations we have nearly 9". This is the minimum snow level to begin skidding logs in in the forest. Anyway reading books such as the 2nd edition All New Square Foot Gardening and Square Foot Gardening {The Classic}and a recently ordered copy of SFG High Value Veggies is great reading at this time of the year. Last but not the least [ markqz ] brought up saw dust from my saw mill. First let me say that the saw dust which is produced from my mill is not dust but is chips mostly,as the saw is not a band saw it is a circular with inserted teeth. I can`t see using fresh sawdust in the SFG garden but I dont see a problem with the sawdust mixed into your compost. It is only a small portion of the total ,or it could be a small part. Also when fully composted very little if any nitrogen robbing will be going on. Be sure your sawdust is incorporated with many other units able to compost such as what we do here on the farm by inclusion of excess vegetable matter, animal bedding which also contains urine {high in nitrogen } manure, grass clippings ect. Some of our best compost consisted of the farm manure pile mixed with softwood and hardwood chips. The pile included saw dust from the mill in the bedding form .Until the next time.Thank you! Bye Bye.!
Gord
Gord

Back to top Go down

Post  Gord 1/17/2020, 2:22 pm

Love this time of the year. It is the days I have time to read and make adjustments to our spring and summer plans. Although it is coming to an end soon. As we now after last nights snow of 6" and with previous accumulations we have nearly 9". This is the minimum snow level to begin skidding logs in in the forest. Anyway reading books such as the 2nd edition All New Square Foot Gardening and Square Foot Gardening {The Classic}and a recently ordered copy of SFG High Value Veggies is great reading at this time of the year. Last but not the least [ markqz ] brought up saw dust from my saw mill. First let me say that the saw dust which is produced from my mill is not dust but is chips mostly,as the saw is not a band saw it is a circular with inserted teeth. I can`t see using fresh sawdust in the SFG garden but I dont see a problem with the sawdust mixed into your compost. It is only a small portion of the total ,or it could be a small part. Also when fully composted very little if any nitrogen robbing will be going on. Be sure your sawdust is incorporated with many other units able to compost such as what we do here on the farm by inclusion of excess vegetable matter, animal bedding which also contains urine {high in nitrogen } manure, grass clippings ect. Some of our best compost consisted of the farm manure pile mixed with softwood and hardwood chips. The pile included saw dust from the mill in the bedding form .Until the next time.Thank you! Bye Bye.!
Gord
Gord

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/17/2020, 9:10 pm

I like this time of year too, dreaming and scheming for the garden season!  Sounds like some good reading!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/21/2020, 11:14 am

Hello Gord: happy hi

Drop over to the Canadian thread where I have a welcome for you.

Kelejan, Canadian Regional Host.
:canada:
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/24/2020, 6:42 pm

Hi, Gord. Just doing a little Forum housekeeping. I merged your posts into just 2 threads and modified your title of introduction. You can keep posting in the intro thread as your personal journal. As well as adding to other posts, new and old, when you want. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down