Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Is this Marjoram or Oregano or Something Else?
by has55 Today at 1:45 am

» Use Podocarupus fruit in compost?
by Dan in Ct Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» January & February 2020 - Northern and Central Midwest
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:38 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:14 am

» Sanderson - On the Road
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:09 am

» Expanding the ideas of using PVC clamps and couplings
by CitizenKate 2/15/2020, 9:31 pm

» unknown plant
by ralitaco 2/15/2020, 6:56 pm

» 2020 SFG in Brooks, GA
by yolos 2/15/2020, 5:06 pm

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by countrynaturals 2/14/2020, 6:04 pm

» Not new, but I've been away for a spell...
by ralitaco 2/13/2020, 11:11 pm

» Is this Mint or a Weed?
by ralitaco 2/13/2020, 11:09 pm

» New & Different
by yolos 2/13/2020, 1:26 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by markqz 2/12/2020, 11:24 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by markqz 2/12/2020, 10:48 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 2/12/2020, 7:43 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 2/12/2020, 5:05 pm

» February: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by sanderson 2/12/2020, 3:34 pm

» TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer
by sanderson 2/12/2020, 3:31 pm

» Daikon radishes?
by yolos 2/12/2020, 3:01 pm

» the SFG Journey-rowing tomatoes in early winter in Dallas-Ft. Worth Tx
by countrynaturals 2/12/2020, 2:07 pm

» Introducing myself
by sanderson 2/11/2020, 5:57 pm

» Check Out the "Friday Rookie Topics"
by countrynaturals 2/11/2020, 11:57 am

» My first crack at making tabasco sauce
by CitizenKate 2/10/2020, 10:54 pm

» Garlic in Central Ohio
by llama momma 2/10/2020, 7:30 pm

» Tomato Tuesday - 2020
by countrynaturals 2/10/2020, 6:50 pm

» Total Cost ?
by markqz 2/10/2020, 12:17 pm

» Indoor Container Garden - City Living
by AtlantaMarie 2/10/2020, 8:10 am

» New User - Old Gardener
by AtlantaMarie 2/10/2020, 8:09 am

» Transplanting Strawberries
by plantoid 2/10/2020, 5:17 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020

Go down

CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020 Empty CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020

Post  Kelejan on 12/31/2019, 8:23 pm

Another year and another decade.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all SFGardeners where ever you are in the World. smiles smiles smiles smiles
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5667

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020

Post  Kelejan on 1/3/2020, 4:13 am

It seems all I can write about is snow.  No shovelling yesterday, Thursday, but a little bit later today which will turn to slush and hopefully melt away when the forecast in 6C by the afternoon.

Yesterday was too terrible to walk down my street which slopes to the tunnel under the railway as the snow had turned to slush then froze after being churned up by traffic.
No snow clearing had been done the previous day and hard to walk on frozen stuff like that. 

I needed have had a crash helmet and arm and knee pads to protect myself.

On a more cheerful note, Spring is on the way and should start thinking of seed planting.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/6/2020, 6:11 pm

@Kelejan wrote:
On a more cheerful note, Spring is on the way and should start thinking of seed planting.
I just got my stache of catalogs out this past weekend, love to go over them and make lists.  I need to get rid of some old seeds and things I don’t like... bounce
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7297

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/6/2020, 6:25 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@Kelejan wrote:
I just got my stache of catalogs out this past weekend, love to go over them and make lists.  I need to get rid of some old seeds and things I don’t like... bounce

Lovely thing to do when the snow keeps falling, Scorpio, and you have to stay indoors.
This time next year I intend to have grow lights etc so that I can start seeds indoors or grow sprouts.

Today we have continuous snow.  I cleared the driveway and used  some kitty litter to make it safe to walk on.  Then I noticed about ten wild turkeys on my driveway pecking at something and found it was the litter.  I then read list of the contents of the litter and found that it was grain based. Turkeys do leave a lot of poo behind. Shocked
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 1/6/2020, 9:46 pm

Happy New Year KJ

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
trolleydriver
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5190

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/7/2020, 12:35 am

@trolleydriver wrote:Happy New Year KJ

Thank you TD.  You will be in my prayers. I love you
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/16/2020, 12:56 am

Nine days since I checked in and nothing much has happened except snow, driving snow, wet snow, icy snow and so it goes on.

The snow is gently falling at this time, 9:44pm my time in Briitsh Columbia, and we are promised heavy snow tonight and heavy snow tomorrow morning.

After several being confined to home, I had to go out this morning.  Dressed up in layered clothing, wore a balaclava under my hat to find that the temperature had gone from windchill -19C to a bearable actual -5C as the wind had dropped.  By the time I reached my destination I was uncomfortably hot.  On returning I ditched the  balaclava and one layer of clothing and returned home to clear the snow from the driveway for the umpteenth time.

Tonight we have a weather warning of heavy and blowing snow  continuing into the morning so it seems I will be missing a lunch date as my ride  told me that her road is the last to be cleared.  We will finalise in the morning.

I have just caught up on the Eagle cam thread in time to find that it is over as the lone chick has not survived. Sad 

So much sadness in the world at this time that my gripe about the snow pales in comparison.
BIG hug I wish we had a hug that does not have such a happy face.

Last edited by Kelejan on 1/16/2020, 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : The usual typos :-) that I find after posting.)
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/21/2020, 10:43 am

This morning, for the second day in a row  do not have to shovel snow from my driveway.  I have little reason to gripe when I see what is going on in the east of Canada, especially in St. Johns where they are overwhelmed by snow as there is nowhere they can put it. At least the army has been called in to help them.

I sometimes  wonder how they get on with gardening as I am sure that some must grow veggies and flowers.

I am waiting for spring so that I can tidy up my garden and then sort out tools etc., plus compost piles etc as I am sure that whoever buys my little house will demolish it and build a duplex on it. Knowing what happens when builders get hold of it they will strip the topsoil and dump it and get down to bare rock.  If I sell it to someone who is going to live in it, I will leave everything behind and hope they use it. If they intend to build then I will try to give away any compost or topsoil from my square foot beds. Also containers and so much other stuff that  seems to gather when one is a gardener,

When I get to England my brother has promised me that he will do all he can to help me get a garden established so I will be starting from scratch with his help. Living with his family, I will have more time and energy to enjoy gardening again. Starting a new compost pile with the knowledge I have now and also knowing not to take on too much as where ever we end up in England, everything will be new. I really do not expect to be able to do any gardening this year but it certainly is going to be interesting.  I will also have more help with sending pictures to this forum as there will be younger members living nearby and they know all about computers etc.

By this time of the month I think we have an extra hour of daylight but  do not really appreciate it until I wake up in the morning and it is no longer dark.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/21/2020, 11:04 am

A belated
CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020 396615 Gord from Ontario CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020 61949
from Kelejan in British Columbia
CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020 445227 

I am your Canadian Host (for the time being)
and this morning I caught up with some reading of the Forum, and there we have another Canadian to add to the few Canadian gardeners.

My I suggest that you keep the first thread of yours and make it your own, like Trolley drive does? then over the years you can track your progress with regard to SF Gardening. I wish I had down the same as TD as he is now in his fifth year.

Canada is such a large country and so we do not have the smaller regions that the U.S. has.  Also our gardening seasons are non-existent for a large part of the year.
Once March comes the Canadian thread will revert to month instead of three-monthly as most of that seems to be about snow and cold weather and dark nights.

The winter clothing of your chickens made me laugh.

CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020 Empty
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 1/24/2020, 7:34 pm

@Kelejan wrote:. . . When I get to England my brother has promised me that he will do all he can to help me get a garden established so I will be starting from scratch with his help. Living with his family, I will have more time and energy to enjoy gardening again. . . . I will also have more help with sending pictures to this forum as there will be younger members living nearby and they know all about computers etc. . .
Yeah! Looking forward to your photos, KJ.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 18661

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/24/2020, 9:03 pm

Yes, Sanderson, I really am looking forward to new adventures. I still have a lot of work to get done, it seems never ending.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum