Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Good morning from CA Toplef10Good morning from CA 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Good morning from CA I22gcj10Good morning from CA 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Good morning from CA Toplef10Good morning from CA 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Good morning from CA I22gcj10Good morning from CA 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Good morning from CA

+4
yolos
sanderson
countrynaturals
Leslie559
8 posters

Go down

Good morning from CA Empty Good morning from CA

Post  Leslie559 8/31/2019, 12:26 pm

I’ve been a lurking member of this group for years but figured it’s time to introduce and learn more. I’ve been a SqFt Gardner for many years and have certainly had my share of successes and failures. I try to maintain a 100% organic garden, which might explain some of the failures, but I continue to plug on. I wasn’t able to have a spring/summer garden this year but am starting to push forward with my fall garden. I did a big clean-up of the garden area, removing a couple of dwarf citrus trees that were planted in raised boxes, that were being eaten away by termites, and the trees were constantly having to be pruned to maintain a less than 6 ft round presence (I believe both trees were mislabeled or they really liked their environment) Looking forward to learning more and stretching out of my comfort zone.
Leslie559
Leslie559

Male Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Good morning from CA Empty Re: Good morning from CA

Post  countrynaturals 8/31/2019, 1:02 pm

Welcome, Leslie, from a fellow zone 9 California gardener. Looking forward to your posts. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/31/2019, 2:02 pm

Leslie, Hi neighbor! happy hi Welcome to the Forum from north Fresno. glad you\'re here

I also try to be pesticide free and it's hard to get stellar crops, what with the red spider mite, plus the heat. Winter crops are so refreshing in this area. What do you grow during the winter?

Photos, we love photos.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Leslie559 8/31/2019, 3:06 pm

Thank you, from Sanger. Oh how I love my Fall/Winter plantings in our hot climate. Love planting my Brassicas, snow peas, radishes & spinach. I’ve tried carrots, without too much success. They seem to take FOREVER, not the 69 days to maturity, like the package says. Maybe my soil is lacking in something for them. I tried Bok Choy, but it was super bitter. I just started some Arugula, but in the past, like my radishes, it is super spicy (hot) so a little goes a long ways....LoL. How about you? What do you grow. I want to try more things this year now that my time is more readily available to tend to, and watch, my garden.
Leslie559
Leslie559

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/31/2019, 4:15 pm

Winter planting and sowing:  snow pea, Strike bush pea, cauliflower, broccoli, toy bok choy varieties, Tendersweet carrots that are ready in the spring, French Breakfast radishes (pull and plant another seed), Rainbow Swiss chard, different kales, leaf lettuces and cilantro (I save the seeds for ground coriander late spring).  I have perennial walking onions that are great for sauteing, and perennial New Zealand spinach.  I cover all but the peas with bridal tulle against the white butterfly. Good morning from CA Garden65
Good morning from CA Sigrid10
Good morning from CA Winter22

Here's the good, the bad and the ugly covering a little over one year.  https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t22075-sanderson-s-urban-sfg-in-fresno-california

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/31/2019, 6:14 pm

I just don't understand how you can plant and grow broccoli now with the temps in the high 90's.  I have been waiting for the temps to stay below 90 but it just isn't happening.  Maybe I am wrong and the temps don't need to be that low when planted.  I know you have sunshade but does it really bring the temps down low enough.  Or maybe you are not planting the broccoli outside now but just sowing it inside. ????????
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/31/2019, 7:42 pm

yolos wrote:I just don't understand how you can plant and grow broccoli now with the temps in the high 90's.  I have been waiting for the temps to stay below 90 but it just isn't happening.  Maybe I am wrong and the temps don't need to be that low when planted.  I know you have sunshade but does it really bring the temps down low enough.  Or maybe you are not planting the broccoli outside now but just sowing it inside. ????????
My new theory is to time it so the weather cools off before the plants are ready to blossom or bolt. I'm going to try it with radishes and lettuce, too. I'm hoping anything that's still in the growth stage can tolerate a little heat. Fingers crossed. idk
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Leslie559 8/31/2019, 8:05 pm

Yolos - I’ve not started planting it’s just what I like to plant in my fall garden. At the moment, I only have some radishes, spinach and arugula starting from seed. I had some old Bibb lettuce seeds, but they’ve not done anything, as I kind of expected. A few more weeks, hopefully, and I’ll start planting.

Sanderson - I love your set-up. I’ve been wanting to put up pvc frames or a system, with cattle panels, for protecting areas that don’t need pollinators, or maybe even to protect the garden during a freeze.. Maybe that will be my next big project.Good morning from CA 68ee2510
We also have an occasional visitor so it needs to be something he/she won’t get tangled up in. It looks like what you have might work for that. Good morning from CA 68ee2510
Good morning from CA A3fd0d10
Leslie559
Leslie559

Back to top Go down

Post  Leslie559 8/31/2019, 8:06 pm

Yolos - I’ve not started planting it’s just what I like to plant in my fall garden. At the moment, I only have some radishes, spinach and arugula starting from seed. I had some old Bibb lettuce seeds, but they’ve not done anything, as I kind of expected. A few more weeks, hopefully, and I’ll start planting.

Sanderson - I love your set-up. I’ve been wanting to put up pvc frames or a system, with cattle panels, for protecting areas that don’t need pollinators, or maybe even to protect the garden during a freeze.. Maybe that will be my next big project.Good morning from CA 68ee2510
We also have an occasional visitor so it needs to be something he/she won’t get tangled up in. It looks like what you have might work for that.
Good morning from CA A3fd0d10
Leslie559
Leslie559

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/31/2019, 8:32 pm

glad you\'re here From Ohio!  So glad you are uncloaked!  I too have seeds in for radishes, spinach (well, it’s actually a chard kinda thing), turnips, and lettuces.  

Can’t wait to see what you have going on when we are under snow!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 8/31/2019, 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/1/2019, 7:33 am

Hi Leslie. Here's an OFFICIAL welcome from Atlanta, GA. Glad you've come out of the shadows...

You have a beautiful set up!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 9/1/2019, 2:19 pm

Welcome, Leslie!
It's good to hear from a Californian anytime; it gets me going on my garden when I read they are planting, then I get planting, too.

I haven't started any Fall planting, but just yesterday I saw a cilantro seedling on one of me raised beds from last year's plants, or rather this spring's seeds which I didn't harvest.  That's a sign I need to get sowing.

Love your neat garden.

R
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/1/2019, 10:22 pm

Leslie, Is that a wild peacock? Wow!

What do you use as mulch?  From the photo it looks like E-Z Straw.

Yolos, I start my veggies in seed pots, or if I have pulled the summer plants and amended a bed, I will direct sow.  It looks like Wednesday will drop into the 90s so that is my target date.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Leslie559 9/3/2019, 12:47 am

Yes....he is.  He’s lived at the end of our block for about 1 1/2 yrs now.  He spends most of his time nearer the curve, and away from the busier road, but makes an appearance now and again.  There used to be quite a few that lived near a ranch behind us, but the population has dwindled, unfortunately. 

Yes, I believe it’s called EZ Straw.  I found it at Tractor Supply.  With the heat, it seems to help keep the roots cool enough.  Even though the boxes heat up during the day, with the sun, they cool down quickly at night, so I don’t worry about that. 

Good morning from CA 3170584802
Cheers!
Leslie559
Leslie559

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 9/3/2019, 11:17 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
yolos wrote:I just don't understand how you can plant and grow broccoli now with the temps in the high 90's.  I have been waiting for the temps to stay below 90 but it just isn't happening.  Maybe I am wrong and the temps don't need to be that low when planted.  I know you have sunshade but does it really bring the temps down low enough.  Or maybe you are not planting the broccoli outside now but just sowing it inside. ????????
My new theory is to time it so the weather cools off before the plants are ready to blossom or bolt. I'm going to try it with radishes and lettuce, too. I'm hoping anything that's still in the growth stage can tolerate a little heat. Fingers crossed. idk

The big challenge in Cali.  Getting things planted early enough they grow like weeds but now too early that the heat kills them.  Then the spring is the opposite, getting started so they grow big enough before the heat kills them but not so early that they struggle to grow.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down