Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 Toplef10Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 I22gcj10Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 Toplef10Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 I22gcj10Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting.

+9
OhioGardener
yolos
Kelejan
AtlantaMarie
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
RJARPCGP
countrynaturals
mollyhespra
13 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 Empty Re: Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting.

Post  mollyhespra 8/9/2019, 8:49 pm

Thanks, Suz. Another 4x2 area cleared. Still more to go!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 Empty Re: Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting.

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/9/2019, 9:04 pm

Woo-Hoo! Go Molly! (And if you have nothing else to do, you can come down here to MY garden..... ;-) )
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/9/2019, 9:08 pm

mollyhespra wrote:Yes, that's an awesome plan,  Kelejan! You go girl!

Oh, and P.S.: did you happen to notice the black rectangular thing in the earlier pictures?  It's an old "step" from when "step aerobics" was the rage.  It's just the right height to sit at and be able to weed at ground level. I found it at a thrift shop.  Something to consider for your back?
I have one of those step-thingy things so that's a good idea to use it for a seat. Not too low or too high and broad enough to be comfortable to sit on. Very Happy Or I can put a pad on it and kneel on it.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/9/2019, 9:23 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Woo-Hoo!  Go Molly!  (And if you have nothing else to do, you can come down here to MY garden.....  ;-)  )

Lol, thanks (but no thanks) for the invite! Wink
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/9/2019, 9:27 pm

Kelejan wrote:
I have one of those step-thingy things so that's a good idea to use it for a seat. Not too low or too high and broad enough to be comfortable to sit on. Very Happy Or I can put a pad on it and kneel on it.

Hey, good idea about adding a pad, though I'm not sure I'd use it for kneeling. Might be at an awkward height. But sitting! Great idea to sit on! Thanks! Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 3170584802
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/10/2019, 1:15 am

mollyhespra wrote:
Kelejan wrote:

Hey, good idea about adding a pad, though I'm not sure I'd use it for kneeling.  Might be at an awkward height. But sitting! Great idea to sit on! Thanks! Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 3170584802
Mine is a three-layer so I could use the top layer as a single layer.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/10/2019, 6:28 am

mollyhespra wrote:
AtlantaMarie wrote:Woo-Hoo!  Go Molly!  (And if you have nothing else to do, you can come down here to MY garden.....  ;-)  )

Lol, thanks (but no thanks) for the invite! Wink

Dang! (insert snapping fingers here...)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/10/2019, 2:49 pm

Half-day update: Saturday the 10th of August.

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 20190815

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 20190816

DH felt up to coming outside and helped out for a half hour pulling up the taller, larger weeds between the beds while I kept making progress with the hand-weeding of the ground-level plants.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/10/2019, 3:59 pm

I was able to spend a total of two hours weeding; four sessions of half an hour each.

Now the weathermen and women are proving their forecast of storms and rain reaching  us today, as I see the dark clouds down the valley obscuring the mountains and the wind is blowing i my direction so it is only a matter of time so I kept going until I had had enough even though there is still time to pull a few more of those danged weeds. But I feel satisfied that I ahve made quite a bit of progress, and after my five weeks away in England, I have finally meshed into our Pcific time slot.  Everyone kept telling it it is harder to travel back to British Columbia than it is go to England, I do believe they are right.

The wind is picking and the apples are falling from the tree in droves so tomorrow there will be another pick-up session.  Some of them are now edible so I will be able to process them so not all of them will be lost.  I really must cut the crown out of that tree so that the rest are more accessible for next year.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/10/2019, 5:35 pm

Good job, Kelejan!  A little at a time adds up!

We're getting some rain now, and some fierce little micro bursts of wind,  so I too am throwing in the trowel for today.

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 20190817

That's some horseradish you see in the bed there with some Jerusalem artichokes behind them. I planted those knowing they'd take over that bed, so maybe I'll just mulch them really well and leave them be.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/10/2019, 5:46 pm

Oh, and I found a little surprise among the weeds...

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 20190818

A little Robin's egg that must have failed to hatch.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/10/2019, 7:38 pm

mollyhespra wrote:Oh, and I found a little surprise among the weeds...

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 20190818

A little Robin's egg that must have failed to hatch.
Sad
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/10/2019, 9:08 pm

Yes, made me feel sad, too. The Robins are smart, though. When an egg fails to hatch they drop it far from their nest so as to not give their real location away.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/11/2019, 10:04 am

I love robins!  I had a family of them on my downspout under the eave by my pool this summer, they all fledged❤.  Your garden is lookin good, Molly!  Keep on truckin’!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/12/2019, 2:01 pm

Thanks, SR. We've had multiple generations of Robins off and on nesting on the beams of our open porch. We love watching as the babies get bigger and bigger and finally fly off one day.

As to my weeding progress. This is what the main aisle looks like after about 2 hours this AM. Now the sun has claimed the area and anyway I have work-work to do, so that's enough for one day.

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 20190819

mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/12/2019, 2:25 pm

And a before/after of the work so far:

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 20190822

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 20190820
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/12/2019, 2:55 pm

I can see some improvement, Molly.  Just keep going like I am. I have the advantage that mowing my overgrown lawn gives it great boost; now I am nibbling at the beds themselves here and there. And picking up those darned apples.

One thing about winter, it does take the vegetation down so that I can easily cut the stalks. The best time being before spring.  My worst part now is the back that people cannot see and I am the only one that knows what is back there that is trying to take over the house. Sad
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP 8/12/2019, 7:10 pm

mollyhespra wrote:And a before/after of the work so far:

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 20190822

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 20190820
On the second one, I see echinacea purpurea!
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Male Posts : 352

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/12/2019, 8:59 pm

Kelejan wrote:I can see some improvement, Molly.  Just keep going like I am. I have the advantage that mowing my overgrown lawn gives it great boost; now I am nibbling at the beds themselves here and there. And picking up those darned apples.

One thing about winter, it does take the vegetation down so that I can easily cut the stalks. The best time being before spring.  My worst part now is the back that people cannot see and I am the only one that knows what is back there that is trying to take over the house. Sad

Thanks,  Kelejan.  I'm feeling better about getting the garden tamed before the snow flies.   It helps to be able to see the aisles again.  Very encouraging.  

Turns out  that the first bit that I did at the entrance was the hardest to pull. The aisles are turning out much easier so far.  

The taller weeds get pulled first,  which loosens the mulch underneath,  then the smaller plants get yanked.   Since the aisles haven't seen any foot traffic for 3 summers, the mulch is fairly loose which makes pulling the weedy undergrowth easier.  

The exception to the above is a patch of blackberries which has invaded not only the aisle but also the far end of the sfg bed next to it.   Some of the canes are as thick as my pinky finger.  I took the clippers to it but couldn't hand pull the roots out. I'll need to get some serious leverage to pry them up. I'd like to get as much of the roots out as I can to discourage regrowth.

But back to you. Are you feeling better at all about what you've accomplished?  It sounded like you were making great strides!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/12/2019, 9:04 pm

RJARPCGP wrote:
On the second one, I see echinacea purpurea!

Good eye, RJ. Yes, the poor things were hidden by the taller weeds. I bet they're happier now that they can get more sun!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/12/2019, 10:11 pm

mollyhespra wrote:

The exception to the above is a patch of blackberries which has invaded not only the aisle but also the far end of the sfg bed next to it.   Some of the canes are as thick as my pinky finger.  I took the clippers to it but couldn't hand pull the roots out. I'll need to get some serious leverage to pry them up. I'd like to get as much of the roots out as I can to discourage regrowth.

This is what I use when I have a very tough weed or a weed with stickers.
Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. - Page 2 Channellock-all-trades-tongue-groove-pliers-440-64_1000
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/12/2019, 10:38 pm

mollyhespra wrote:
Kelejan wrote:I can see some improvement, Molly.  Just keep going like I am. I have the advantage that mowing my overgrown lawn gives it great boost; now I am nibbling at the beds themselves here and there. And picking up those darned apples.
Thanks,  Kelejan.  I'm feeling better about getting the garden tamed before the snow flies.   It helps to be able to see the aisles again.  Very encouraging.  
- - - - - - -

But back to you. Are you feeling better at all about what you've accomplished?  It sounded like you were making great strides!

Yes, I am feeling better, just wish I could go on longer but I am realising there are limitations as the years go by.

Thanks for the encouragement. okay
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/17/2019, 2:48 am

Congrats to both of you, KJ and Molly. One weed at a time, one lawn at a time.

Yolos, niffy trick!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/17/2019, 8:19 am

mollyhespra wrote:The exception to the above is a patch of blackberries which has invaded not only the aisle but also the far end of the sfg bed next to it.   Some of the canes are as thick as my pinky finger.  I took the clippers to it but couldn't hand pull the roots out. I'll need to get some serious leverage to pry them up. I'd like to get as much of the roots out as I can to discourage regrowth.

Those things are nearly impossible to stop!  Our neighbor allows them to grow wild in his back 40, and the roots of them have come across into our property.  I tried keeping them mowed off, but they kept encroaching inward onto our pasture area.  I finally resorted to using brush killer to control them as soon as I see them on our side of the fence.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/17/2019, 10:52 am

OhioGardener wrote:
mollyhespra wrote:The exception to the above is a patch of blackberries which has invaded not only the aisle but also the far end of the sfg bed next to it.   Some of the canes are as thick as my pinky finger.  I took the clippers to it but couldn't hand pull the roots out. I'll need to get some serious leverage to pry them up. I'd like to get as much of the roots out as I can to discourage regrowth.

Those things are nearly impossible to stop!  Our neighbor allows them to grow wild in his back 40, and the roots of them have come across into our property.  I tried keeping them mowed off, but they kept encroaching inward onto our pasture area.  I finally resorted to using brush killer to control them as soon as I see them on our side of the fence.
We have a nice patch of them in our pool area. I'm determined to tame them, rather than try to kill them, which is probably a battle I would lose, anyway.

I saw a neat video on Youtube about weaving baskets from blackberry cane. I may try getting crafty with those puppies this winter. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next