Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
lifting / pulling up your garlic ? Toplef10lifting / pulling up your garlic ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

lifting / pulling up your garlic ? I22gcj10lifting / pulling up your garlic ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
lifting / pulling up your garlic ? Toplef10lifting / pulling up your garlic ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

lifting / pulling up your garlic ? I22gcj10lifting / pulling up your garlic ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

lifting / pulling up your garlic ?

4 posters

Go down

lifting / pulling up your garlic ? Empty lifting / pulling up your garlic ?

Post  plantoid 6/28/2019, 7:58 am

It's been a real long cold wet spring this year the start of summer was slow … at least three weeks behind the state of things in the beds over the last 10 years or more . 

This has left me a bit puzzled , for all of my garlic has taken on the red rust leaf disease & the leaves also started to turn yellow not like dried long grass but a light buttery yellow , which is  not a problem in itself as they bulbs will /should  still be OK to store . It's all Stiff Neck garlic including some Elephant garlic .

I poked a finger down round a few  bulbs a week ago and found them quite small , seeing as the stems of the garlic are strong and now showing signs of new green growth I think that there may still be some growing days left for the garlic .

I normally don't harvest it till mid to late July , rather than set about pulling up the whole bed of it I'm thinking of letting it grow as it likes till 14 July onwards .

Any comments or thoughts folks ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

lifting / pulling up your garlic ? Empty Re: lifting / pulling up your garlic ?

Post  Dan in Ct 6/28/2019, 8:37 am

Hi Plantoid, Here in 6A, Ct. It is always the first week in July about three weeks after scapes. I grow German Porcelain, here we call them hard necks as opposed to the soft necks you can find at the supermarket. I grew soft necks one year and they did well but I have gotten use to the size of the cloves of the hard necks plus they are more garlicky. I have found you can almost set your watch by the garlic because planted in mid-October here they are always a day or two within the first week of July. When in doubt use a garden fork and pop one out and take a look at it. I never pull on garlic always lifted with a fork, stores better.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/28/2019, 11:30 am

Thanks Dan , I only use Mel's mix for my 36 inch deep veg beds no mother earth whatsoever . I can push my hand down , straight fingered in a bed that's been undisturbed for a year to about three inches past the good luck rings on my wrist , so as a result I've always been pulling my alliums .(and all my long root crops  including 12 inch long carrots with ease ) 

I never gave it a thought about poor storage either as the last lot were almost 10 months old when the last one was eaten .

This year it might be different for I have twelve bulbs per square foot growing & I've given them two drizzle feeds of fish blood & bone as a top dressing the roots may be a lot more profuse .

So far there hasn't been any scapes at all , but my red onions all took offence and I doubt there is one that didn't produce a flower  ( I pulled them all off as soon as they were discovered ).

It's the  same with my shallot onions but thankfully only one plant per cluster of baby onions produced flowers and size wise they have a long way to grow before they are a decent useable three inch long shallot
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/2/2019, 6:06 pm

Well I bit the bullet and pulled all the garlic in the bed it was starting to lay over . 

I was quite surprised ,  there were five per sq ft not 12 as I think I said earlier , most were a decent size . Now they are laid out of a 1/2" mesh chicken wire drying rack .,   I should have enough for a while .

Next year I'll do two beds and go for 60 of the giant elephant bulbs at harvest time .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/6/2019, 1:43 am

I'm glad your garlic turned out to be okay.  I had to pull mine early this year because the bottom of the bed fell out.  I transplanted half but even those were under-sized.  I'm finding that many are turning soft so the good cloves will become garlic powder. Wink

Last edited by sanderson on 7/7/2019, 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/6/2019, 8:58 am

I was told that when the bottom 3-4 leaves die that’s when the bulb is ready...mid-July for me here.  I plant mine after Halloween.  I do 5/square, but have done 9/square with no deleterious effects....I also grow hardneck variety. Love the scapes!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 7/6/2019, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot the variety!)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 7/6/2019, 9:57 am

The Garlic Farm here from whom I hope to get my garlic to plant this fall will open next weekend, so they will begin harvesting this week. The last couple of years got busy learning and my gardening suffered. I didn't plant any cloves for two years but this year I will fill my raised beds with garlic cloves and also show my daughter how to plant some at her house, she has developed an interest in gardening. I have missed the scapes and the strength of fresh garlic. I will have to plan what to follow the garlic with because I had a horrible experience trying bush beans, never again.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down