Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Goat manure "compost Toplef10Goat manure "compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Goat manure "compost I22gcj10Goat manure "compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Goat manure "compost Toplef10Goat manure "compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Goat manure "compost I22gcj10Goat manure "compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Goat manure "compost

4 posters

Go down

Goat manure "compost Empty Goat manure "compost

Post  christinetarifa 11/13/2018, 3:05 am

Hi again from Spain with more poop related questions  Laughing
I went to the local garden store a couple of weeks ago and asked for goat manure compost, since I'm under the impression it is the best quality manure compost. Weird enough, although there's lots of goats around here in the countryside, the shops don't sell their compost. Might have to go to the farmers directly and ask ...

Anyway, one store did have some and I bought it but when I opened the bag it wasn't really compost but little pellets with a strong odor. I think there's different stages of compost and the longer it 'matures' the less it smells? I really wanted to get my garden going so I just added 4 or 5 shovels of these pellets to Mel's mix and mixed it all up as supposed to. I planted my seeds and they're growing now (still quite warm here in southern Spain). But every day I am wondering if the goat poop pellets are really just that, goat poop, not compost, and whether this is more a fertilizer than compost, and whether the amount I added is too much ... and what will happen if it is too much ...???
Any ideas???
christinetarifa
christinetarifa

Back to top Go down

Goat manure "compost Empty Re: Goat manure "compost

Post  sanderson 11/13/2018, 4:24 am

It sounds like the bags contain goat poop instead of composted goat poop. Raw poop contains food borne illness / intestinal microbes. Personally, at this point I would NOT eat a raw root veggie without cooking it well to kill the microbes. That would include carrots, beets, radishes, etc. The "fruit" from a fruiting plant, such as tomatoes or squash, should be safe to eat raw as long as it doesn't come in contact with the bedding soil. In a year or so, the manure should be composted (broken down by good microbes) to eat the root crops raw.

Depending on the farm animal it's from, raw poop may be "hot", releasing nutrients fast and burning the plants, or "cold" and slowly release the nutrients. Goat is on the hot side so watch the plants to see if they are affected. Maybe you didn't add too much and the plants will thrive. Very Happy It's safer to allow the manures to compost well before adding to the general garden. Maybe contact the company and ask how old the goat pellets/poop are.

I use horse manure as part of my compost pile and the temperatures reach 160*F (71*C) so the manure is pasteurized and cooled before added to the SFG beds. This is your first year and you will learn soooo much! Keep reading and experimenting and one day, you will find yourself offering suggestions and help. sunny

https://ucanr.edu/sites/Tuolumne_County_Master_Gardeners/files/172936.pdf

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  christinetarifa 11/13/2018, 5:48 am

Wow, thank you!! I didn't know any of that, you're right, it's a learning curve and I do enjoy it ... minus the fact that I've ruined my soil and now can't eat the root veg ...  Embarassed What about leafy greens, they grow above ground but the low leaves are still getting in contact with the soil... I'm thinking if I submerge the produce (leafy's and root veg) in a solution of water with added vinegar it would kill any possible microbes??
christinetarifa
christinetarifa

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/13/2018, 9:09 am

FWIW, Goat Manure is probably one of the cleanest of animal manures - they are not only vegetarians and don't consume anything that have bad pathogens, but they are one of the pickiest eating animals. Back in a former life, I raised dairy goats and every fall I cleaned the barn and spread it on the vegetable garden & tilled it into the garden. By spring, it was totally decomposed and could not be detected in the soil. And, a good thing about their pelletized manure is that it will not burn plants like cow, chicken, etc., will.

Having said that, I would not recommend using any non-composted manure on the vegetable garden, unless it was tilled into the soil the fall before, so that the nutrients in it would be immediately available to plants. Since moving from the in-ground garden to raised beds, I only use fully composted manure as Sanderson said.

The unfortunate thing about bagged manure you buy is that you have absolutely no idea where or how that manure was created, processed, or handled.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4524

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 11/14/2018, 9:14 am

I will have to agree with much of what OhioGardener has said but will add my for what it is worth. Compost when finished and cured should have no recognizable ingredients and should smell earthy. Learn to trust your eyes and nose before adding it to your mix or soil. When in doubt aerate, more bad microbes exist in the anaerobic or at the border between aerobic and anaerobic then in well aerated mixes or soils.

I have heard rabbit feces sans urine along with llama and alpaca can used almost immediately, although I have no personal experience with these. Poultry manure should be composted and used with caution. This manure I have had experience with and like Brylcreem, a little dab will do ya.  Any manure that has urine and feces combined with very little bedding material should be used with caution. Any animal that ruminates should have less viable seeds in its manure. A good sign in any animal manure pile is one that has earthworms in it. I myself get composted horse manure that is teeming with earthworms, Lumbricus rubellus. I also have several indoor worm bins to turn kitchen scraps into an ingredient that makes my seed germinating mix, superior.

A hot compost pile not done properly and within parameters will kill many if not all of the needed microbiology, putting the pile back to ground zero and missing much of its microbiological diversity. A cold compost pile takes longer but the end result will be a microbial rich soil amendment without any of the risk. The farther north you head in the US the larger the initial compost pile has to be to get to the temperatures needed to maintain a hot compost pile.

Here is a link to a study using goat manure in a hydroponic study.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320784941_The_influence_of_organic_manure_formulated_from_goat_manure_on_growth_and_yield_of_tomato_Lycopersicum_esculentum

Nothing is better for ones mix/soil and the environment than well made compost and I would be surprised if we aren't all in agreement.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down