Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
OhioGardener SFG - Page 3 Toplef10OhioGardener SFG - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

OhioGardener SFG - Page 3 I22gcj10OhioGardener SFG - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
OhioGardener SFG - Page 3 Toplef10OhioGardener SFG - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

OhioGardener SFG - Page 3 I22gcj10OhioGardener SFG - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

OhioGardener SFG

+14
Emily49
plantoid
ralitaco
mollyhespra
AtlantaMarie
CapeCoddess
SQWIB
has55
bluelacedredhead
DorothyG
sanderson
trolleydriver
Scorpio Rising
OhioGardener
18 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

OhioGardener SFG - Page 3 Empty Re: OhioGardener SFG

Post  OhioGardener 5/1/2020, 8:36 am

I am not sure how well it would work, Molly. They aren't designed to be stacked, but they are very sturdy. I think, though, that they could be stacked if a piece of angle iron were bolted to each of the upright posts to provide locked in alignment - the 3' long pieces of angle iron would be located at each of the points I marked with an arrow on the photo on both sides, and fastened with 6 bolts. That should provide adequate stability to secure them together.  Of course, I am an Electronics Engineer, and not a Mechanical Engineer....  Smile 

OhioGardener SFG - Page 3 Raised31

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4519

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/1/2020, 4:45 pm

Thanks, OG! I see what you mean about the angle irons, and that's definitely doable for me...

BUT, I was hoping to be able to over-lap the corrugations (is that a word) so that the MM wouldn't leak out the sides, but the way the supports look, they've got a kind of flat cap built in which would make overlapping impossible. Or am I looking at the pictures wrong?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/1/2020, 6:08 pm

mollyhespra wrote:Thanks, OG!  I see what you mean about the angle irons, and that's definitely doable for me...

BUT, I was hoping to be able to over-lap the corrugations (is that a word) so that the MM wouldn't leak out the sides, but the way the supports look, they've got a kind of flat cap built in which would make overlapping impossible.  Or am I looking at the pictures wrong?

No, you are seeing the pictures correctly. The connector metal does have a cap on it, and it would not be possible for the corrugated metal panels to overlap. But, I don't think that would be much of a problem.

A thought that might be worth considering: If you just need another 8" or so height than the 18" they are, I wonder if you could put down a layer of cement blocks and set the raised bed on top of the blocks?

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/1/2020, 10:26 pm

Yes, I had the same thought about the cement blocks, but DH isn't keen on the idea. He'd rather have the beds ready to go without having to do many modifications. We found another supplier: Birdie's Raised Beds but they're sold out. The Birdie's beds are 3' deep, which is nice but they're also quite pricey. We're thinking of using hugelkulture for the bottom 2' and just fill the last 8" with MM.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/2/2020, 6:09 pm

Do you have companies that roll their own corrugated panels for farm buildings ? It might be financially worth a couple of hours of looking around the internet .

Here in th UK I had such a company roll me 100 shelves with folded edges and  made with a cranked for extra strength bottom shelf and an eight inch upstand at the back 
 Price wise it worked out far cheaper than any off the shelf stuff available .

You can get 3 foot wide corrugated galvanised sheets made to order in such places or even made in coloured plastisol steel sheets  . 
They'd most likely do the cross supports and corners too perhaps even punching the holes in them as the basic  pattern is usually done on a big computer controlled punch bed before it goes over to a computerised  rolling /folding machine .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/3/2020, 8:00 pm

The design of this raised bed would be super easy to build, and it would be very durable. The only thing I would add, would be a center cross member to prevent the bed from bowing out from the weight of the soil. The metal lining would greatly prolong the life of the bed. The corrugated metal siding could be obtained from any building supply company. For someone wanting a higher bed, such a 3', it would only take wider pieces of metal.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

OhioGardener SFG - Page 3 Empty New Arbor Trellis for the Raised Beds

Post  OhioGardener 5/4/2020, 7:53 pm

Took on the project today of replacing the old trellis panels on the raised bed with a new, larger arbor-type trellis made out of cow panels. Three 16' cattle panels arched over the walkway between the beds made an arbor 12.5' long. Now we will be able do vertical gardening on both sides of the arbor.

Made a short video on the transition from the old small trellises to the new arbor-style trellis that is now in place.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

kristinz and Hip2B like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/4/2020, 7:59 pm

Hey, looks GREAT!!! What's the cap on top of your posts?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/4/2020, 8:21 pm

mollyhespra wrote:Hey, looks GREAT!!!  What's the cap on top of your posts?

Thanks!

Those are plastic T-Post caps that are designed for that purpose. They keep us from injuring ourselves on those sharp post tops.  The ones I have are similar to these from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/DARE-PRODUCTS-2927-T-Post-Safety/dp/B000HHSEW2

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/6/2020, 8:55 am

The Tunnel Trellis is finished and waiting for plants to climb on it.  Pole Beans will be planted in about 10 days, and the Cucumbers and Squash be planted the first week of June. Might even plant a Vine Peach or two on one end of the trellis. Can't wait to see plants covering that trellis.

OhioGardener SFG - Page 3 Tunnel10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 5/6/2020, 2:55 pm

very cool! which direction is it running?
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/6/2020, 5:56 pm

Emily49 wrote:very cool! which direction is it running?

North-South. This picture is looking at it from the South, facing North.

OhioGardener SFG - Page 3 Tunnel11

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/8/2020, 10:48 am

I have two more tomato plants than I have room for in the beds dedicated for the tomatoes, and I am thinking about planting them on the end of the new tunnel trellis between the two beds. I am wondering if I tie the tomatoes to the trellis if they will grow up and over the arbor. Anyone grow tomatoes on an arbor?  Will this work?

OhioGardener SFG - Page 3 Arbor_10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  PVPind 5/8/2020, 11:27 am

I'm supposed to go order my metal roofing for doing beds like these today. The plan is 2/ 4' x 6' and 2/ 12' x 4' all 36" tall. I'm going to do the outside frame in treated lumber. The quote I got for the precut metal roofing from an Amish roofing supply company locally was just under $400. So I'm guessing the whole job will cost around $600-$700 for the beds. Thankfully I make soils so that's not an issue. But with the weather, I just keep putting it off. Thanks for the motivation. Your gardens look great.
PVPind
PVPind

Male Posts : 165

http://www.pvpind.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/8/2020, 11:58 am

That sounds great, PVP!  Be sure to post pictures of them, and your entire setup.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/13/2020, 3:37 pm

Hi, PVP. happy hi

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  PVPind 5/13/2020, 3:58 pm

Hi sanderson, ordered the metal yesterday, going to pick it up and the lumber Friday and build them Saturday and Sunday. Fill them next week and put the walkways in. Hopefully, I'll have some pictures soon.
PVPind
PVPind

Male Posts : 165

http://www.pvpind.com

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/16/2020, 12:15 pm

OG, That's a awesome arbor. Fantastic looking!!!
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  bigtoad 5/16/2020, 4:59 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
sanderson wrote:Happy story about the zucchini. Very Happy Is it now past the squash borer time so these have a chance?

Yes, it is past time for the squash borer now.  Normally if we plant the squash & cucumber after July 1st we do not have any problem with the borer.  This year, though, I tried a new experiment, and it failed.  I usually direct sow the seeds around the first week of July, and they usually do really good.  But, this year, I decided to start the seeds indoors and transplant them in the garden in early July, thinking I would get a head start on getting squash and cucumbers to pick. Unfortunately, the extra time we get waiting on the seeds to germinate in the ground wasn't there, and the squash bugs were ready for the plants as soon as they went in the ground. So, we'll write that experiment off to experience.

As Will Rogers said, "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Sooo glad I ran across this.  I was planning on trying this same experiment this year.  I've been planting squash seeds around July 1st the last couple of years to avoid the borer in Indiana.  I had the same thought about starting some indoors to get a jump on it, but I will definitely just be patient!
bigtoad
bigtoad

Male Posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/16/2020, 6:39 pm

has55 wrote:OG, That's a awesome arbor. Fantastic looking!!!

Thanks!  I can't wait to see it covered with beans, cucumbers, and squash. The only thing planted on it right now is two tomatoes on one end, one Yellow Brandywine and one Rutgers.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/16/2020, 7:00 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
has55 wrote:OG, That's a awesome arbor. Fantastic looking!!!

Thanks!  I can't wait to see it covered with beans, cucumbers, and squash. The only thing planted on it right now is two tomatoes on one end, one Yellow Brandywine and one Rutgers.
please send pictures.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/16/2020, 8:16 pm

OG, I'm planning on training my tomatoes up a cattle panel arbor this year, too. I added two panels to the far end of two beds so we'll see how it goes. I routinely train my indeterminate toms up a single line, so this shouldn't be any different. I'm also going to try to have the willpower to top them early-mid august. FF for me is early Sept, so maybe this way I'll get more ripe tomatoes, and I figure it will contain the height to the cattle panel.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/18/2020, 12:33 pm

OhioGardener wrote:The design of this raised bed would be super easy to build, and it would be very durable. The only thing I would add, would be a center cross member to prevent the bed from bowing out from the weight of the soil. The metal lining would greatly prolong the life of the bed. The corrugated metal siding could be obtained from any building supply company. For someone wanting a higher bed, such a 3', it would only take wider pieces of metal.

Putting a pair of stainless steel 1/4 inch wire ropes  on turnbuckles or a Spanish hoist of twisted wires locked in pace with a steel rod  through the sheets at 8 inches from the top & bottom  across the mid width would allow  an easier way of preventing the middle length of the sheets from bulging so long as the outer ends are wrapped round  some sort of strong tube or bar /rod  & the cut ends pushed back through the holes so it protrudes back through the holes into in the MM 
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/18/2020, 11:01 pm

Hey, OG! I just pulled the trigger on a few of your fancy beds!!! I'm so excited!!! They were out of stock until yesterday so I snagged me a few before they sell out again. Woot!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/19/2020, 2:15 pm

Great to hear, Molly! I was surprised this weekend when a neighbor called and asked me to walk over to his house, said he had something he wanted to show me. As soon as we walked around the side of his house I saw the new beds he had already set up, and planted with some of the garden plants. He said he couldn't believe how productive and easy to care for my beds were, and decided he needed some of his own. He now has two of the Fresa 4-section beds. He partially filled the beds with topsoil, and then moved the soil from his old wooden raised beds into the new metal beds.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next