Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
OVER Fertilizing Toplef10OVER Fertilizing 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

OVER Fertilizing I22gcj10OVER Fertilizing 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
OVER Fertilizing Toplef10OVER Fertilizing 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

OVER Fertilizing I22gcj10OVER Fertilizing 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

OVER Fertilizing

+8
SQWIB
jimmy cee
JohnKelly
Roseinarosecity
Turan
MrBooker
sanderson
sfg4uKim
12 posters

Go down

OVER Fertilizing Empty OVER Fertilizing

Post  sfg4uKim 7/1/2018, 5:02 am

Here's a gentle reminder . . . STOP OVER FERTILIZING YOUR VEGETABLES! I've seen too many posts in other places about people getting great green growth and no tomatoes.

For the love of all that is holy, STOP adding fertilizer until you know that you have a deficiency in something. Then, choose the RIGHT fertilizer. If you're soil is good in nitrogen, adding a fertilizer with too much nitrogen will result in lovely, green, bushy tomato plants without any tomatoes!

STOP OVER FERTILIZING YOUR VEGETABLES

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

OVER Fertilizing WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

OVER Fertilizing Empty Re: OVER Fertilizing

Post  sanderson 7/1/2018, 8:50 am

Amen. If multiple sources of compost (or home made) are used to make the Mel's Mix, and replenished each time one plants, fertilizer should not be needed.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 7/1/2018, 12:48 pm

sfg4uKim wrote:Here's a gentle reminder . . . STOP OVER FERTILIZING YOUR VEGETABLES! I've seen too many posts in other places about people getting great green growth and no tomatoes.

For the love of all that is holy, STOP adding fertilizer until you know that you have a deficiency in something. Then, choose the RIGHT fertilizer. If you're soil is good in nitrogen, adding a fertilizer with too much nitrogen will result in lovely, green, bushy tomato plants without any tomatoes!

STOP OVER FERTILIZING YOUR VEGETABLES
Correct:  Here's a good website:
http://grabngrowsoil.com/understanding-npk-fertilizers/
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/1/2018, 1:20 pm

"OVER" in this context is a very subtle amount dependent on many factors. It is dependent on, among many other things, what vegy is in that spot.  Yes, to giving extra nitrogen to leafy greens if they seem to need it, even to tomatoes early in the season when you want them to grow.  No, do not make a nitrogen rich compost mixture to grow tomatoes or potatoes in and expect other than lots of green growth and few fruits or tubers, but that would be perfect for chard or lettuce or kale.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 7/1/2018, 7:56 pm

Turan wrote:"OVER" in this context is a very subtle amount dependent on many factors. It is dependent on, among many other things, what vegy is in that spot.  Yes, to giving extra nitrogen to leafy greens if they seem to need it, even to tomatoes early in the season when you want them to grow.  No, do not make a nitrogen rich compost mixture to grow tomatoes or potatoes in and expect other than lots of green growth and few fruits or tubers, but that would be perfect for chard or lettuce or kale.

This is so true.  This year, I sought help with my under performing corn over the past few years and discovered that side-dressing means fertilize the corn as it is growing every two weeks with an organic fertilizer until it starts to silk.  I would have thought that it was over-fertilizing but corn is heavy feeder throughout its growing cycle.
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnKelly 7/3/2018, 1:54 am

My lemon tree agrees with you!
JohnKelly
JohnKelly

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 7/3/2018, 11:22 pm

Much more needs to be mentioned regarding fertilizers...what are fertilizers. assuming most folks would say 5..10..20...the figures most think of when doing fertilizers...
Here are the facts as I read them in Teaming with Microbes and Teaming with Nutrients.
Commercial fertilizers turn your garden into a lifeless piece of dirt. The destroy all living microbes in the soil food web.
Doing this makes your garden dependent on commercial fertilizers.
Fertilizers that do not trickle down past the rhizosphere ( plants root ends ) leach out into the ground, out into creeks, rivers, and ultimately the oceans.
Compost properly made is made up of gazillions of microbes that want to hang around your roots. When doing this they feed roots, aerate soil and make everything happy.It is the microbes that feed your plant roots. taking nutrients from growing medium and sending to roots.. You cannot add to much compost. adding more compost just adds more microbes and the more microbes the better it is for plants. I haven't used a fertilizer in my 4 years of SFG. .
Read these 2 books and your minds will be awed at info provided...

OVER Fertilizing Microb10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnKelly 7/3/2018, 11:43 pm

Jimmy, I tended to follow advice similar to that contained in the following videos,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aimiaZZqrQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcrxX_mK994

Last edited by IrishDigger on 7/3/2018, 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added URL)
JohnKelly
JohnKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/4/2018, 4:06 am

It's been 3 years since I fertilized my orange tree. I put compost. around it and covered with wood chips.  When the leaves fall or I prune it, I just leave the stuff there.  The microbes book changed my way of non-SFG gardening.  Thanks Jimmy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  SQWIB 7/4/2018, 9:07 am

Fertilizers don't destroy microbes my understanding of commercial fertilizers is that they do work but it's not sustainable long term. 
There's a saying, "What's good for the Father's isn't good for the Sons"

Lets see if I can get this right...  What happens is the microbe populations explode and less humus is left in the soil, this in turn makes the soil less capable of holding nitrogen and other nutrients that would otherwise be slowly released over time, this adds to the leaching problem.

With that said, I agree that using fertilizers can and will have a negative impact if not used correctly.. I do not use fertilizers other than in a few of my potted plants and water lilies, other than a nasty bit of milorganite I use in my flower beds to finish up the bag   Shocked
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnKelly 7/4/2018, 9:26 pm

I hear what you folks are saying, I know of a couple of fellow gardeners who have lemon trees, they just leave them unattended with grass and weeds growing around the base and they have a great crop of lemons; whereas I am fussing around mine like a mother hen with very little produce. Rolling Eyes
JohnKelly
JohnKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/4/2018, 9:59 pm

Years ago, I tried 2 things: 1, I planted a lawn from seed, and 2, I planted what I hoped would be a cash crop of loofahs. I didn't have any dirt, so I used straight horse manure. I had the most beautiful, huge, leafy loofah plants, but no loofahs, and the lawn just failed. Now I know better, but those were a couple of hard lessons to learn. At least my "fertilizer" was free.  Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/4/2018, 10:07 pm

I will be honest...I am a little concerned about my pole beans..Blauhilde from Bakers, has been a great producer for 2 years...Plants are up and growing on the trellis.  No blooms...not one.  No blooms.

Cukes next door just getting started.  I did side dress with blood and bone meal.  I pretty much always do!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 7/4/2018, 10:13 pm

sanderson wrote:It's been 3 years since I fertilized my orange tree. I put compost. around it and covered with wood chips.  When the leaves fall or I prune it, I just leave the stuff there.  The microbes book changed my way of non-SFG gardening.  Thanks Jimmy
An interesting man was Justis Von Liebig of Germany, 1800s....he is considered the father of modern day agriculture, his law of the return is very interesting. It states that any plant left along will supply nutrients to itself to carry on. Consider how our forests thrive. This is exactly what happens out there in the woods.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/4/2018, 10:17 pm

jimmy cee wrote:
sanderson wrote:It's been 3 years since I fertilized my orange tree. I put compost. around it and covered with wood chips.  When the leaves fall or I prune it, I just leave the stuff there.  The microbes book changed my way of non-SFG gardening.  Thanks Jimmy
An interesting man was Justis Von Liebig of Germany, 1800s....he is considered the father of modern day agriculture, his law of the return is very interesting. It states that any plant left along will supply nutrients to itself to carry on. Consider how our forests thrive. This is exactly what happens out there in the woods.
I love you
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  SQWIB 7/4/2018, 11:18 pm

For all of the above things mentioned, that is why I have adopted the "put back more than you take out".
I let weeds grow, I let everything grow then I pull or cut back and PLACE BACK IN THE GARDEN
nothing is removed!
I have a 5' prickly lettuce weed growing In one bed that my brother said, "why haven't you pulled that"
. I told him it wasn't done doing its job... Once it goes to seed, I will cut it back and lay it where it's been cut.
I'm sure this thing has a 14-18" tap root by now and is pulling up all kindsa goodies from the soil
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  suseine 7/5/2018, 10:54 am

I agree that over-fertilizing will tell the tomato plant to produce more leaves instead of blossoms and tomato fruits.
suseine
suseine

Back to top Go down

Post  kygardener 7/9/2018, 5:44 am

I have seen fish emulsion, garden-tone, tomato -tone, and blood & bone meal suggested by posters here.  Do these also do damage to the microbes or are they different than the fertilizers referred to in this post?
kygardener

Female Posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Post  SQWIB 7/9/2018, 9:48 am

kygardener wrote:I have seen fish emulsion, garden-tone, tomato -tone, and blood & bone meal suggested by posters here.  Do these also do damage to the microbes or are they different than the fertilizers referred to in this post?

No, used correctly they do not harm the soil food web, however, over used they MAY destroy/harm the soil biodiversity.

I dont want to take this out of context but the following is from an article pertaining to Synthetic Fertilizers.

"Fertilizer application begins the destruction of soil biodiversity by diminishing the role of nitrogen-fixing bacteria and amplifying the role of everything that feeds on nitrogen. These feeders then speed up the decomposition of organic matter and humus. As organic matter decreases, the physical structure of soil changes. With less pore space and less of their sponge-like qualities, soils are less efficient at storing water and air. More irrigation is needed. Water leeches through soils, draining away nutrients that no longer have an effective substrate on which to cling. With less available oxygen the growth of soil microbiology slows, and the intricate ecosystem of biological exchanges breaks down".

I would think that over fertilizing even with an organic fertilizer would contribute to the same problem as above? I'm not sure, but that is why I do not fertilize anything but my potted plants and pond plants and on rare occasion some of my flowers.

Synthetic vs. Organic Fertilizers
by Jerry Gach

Organic Fertilizers are materials derived from plant and animal parts or residues. Examples are, Blood Meal, Compost, Bat Guano, Manure, Seaweed, and Worm Castings.

Synthetic Fertilizers are “Man made” inorganic compounds - usually derived from by-products of the petroleum industry. Examples are Ammonium Nitrate, Ammonium Phosphate, Superphosphate, and Potassium Sulfate.

More on that here.
Synthetic vs. Organic Fertilizers

I know this info was more than you asked for but figured it may be helpful to others.
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/9/2018, 2:48 pm

Thanks SQWIB, I found your post very informative.  
I followed it up by doing a google search asking about Miracle grow in compost piles.  I was surprised to find anecdotal reports of using it and other synthetic high N fertilizers in compost piles with too much browns.  Anecdotally those piles then rapidly heat up, which means the microbiome is happy and thriving.  There are also warnings that too much will hurt because of the high salt content, but dilute amounts doesn't hurt worms.  All of which supports the idea of the biome becoming nitrogen eating heavy versus nitrogen storing heavy.  And that is a dynamic I have not thought about in a hot compost pile.

We are digressing from Kay's original post which was not worrying about soil health, just about plant fruit production being depressed while leave and stalk growth is promoted in an high nitrogen environment.  But this is an important tangent to look at.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down