Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018
by Kelejan Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Possible elevated raised beds
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 11:13 pm

» Jimmys new SFG beds in development.
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» Gorilla Cart
by Kelejan Yesterday at 10:53 pm

» N&C Midwest - MAY! Spring has sprung!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:29 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» White Mulberry Tree???
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:21 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2018
by Roseinarosecity Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» New to SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:27 pm

» Just starting in NW Conneticut
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:18 pm

» Forum's address change
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:44 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:50 pm

» 2nd year SFG in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:43 pm

» 2018 SFG in Brooks, GA
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» can you identify this insect
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» BlackjackWidow's Rural Gamble
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:05 pm

» Keeping bees
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:59 pm

» On the Road
by ispinwool Yesterday at 12:34 pm

» Lurking newby in Pennsylvania
by ispinwool Yesterday at 8:05 am

» Fourth Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:09 am

» Newbie to SFG Gardening in Florida
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:43 am

» Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California
by trolleydriver 5/26/2018, 10:41 pm

» Just Completed my Garden.....What Should I Plant NOW!
by sanderson 5/26/2018, 4:54 pm

» Situation in Hawaii
by AtlantaMarie 5/26/2018, 7:04 am

» Mr. Booker's Garden -2018
by sanderson 5/25/2018, 3:56 pm

» Magical Mornings in our Gardens
by sanderson 5/25/2018, 3:54 pm

» Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?
by ispinwool 5/25/2018, 2:19 pm

» Powdery Mildew already striking
by Scorpio Rising 5/25/2018, 10:09 am

» Pests...How to keep at bay
by sanderson 5/25/2018, 2:30 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic

Go down

2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  Ginger Blue on 3/28/2018, 10:41 am

Hi All,

The 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit starts today!  FREE online event, featuring 35 world experts on diabetes nutrition.  Click the hotlink below for more info and opportunity to register:

http://www.masteringdiabetes.org/summit/

They also have a great FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/masteringdiabetes.org/

I've signed up for the online sessions.  I'm eager to learn more about the latest advances in diabetes treatment through plant-based nutrition, then use that info to grow goodness in my garden! What a Face
avatar
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 258
Join date : 2016-06-02
Location : New Hampshire, Zone 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  sanderson on 3/28/2018, 4:19 pm

Maybe you can post some bullet highlights as you watch it??? Wink

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 16043
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  AtlantaMarie on 3/30/2018, 7:28 am

Yes, please!
avatar
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4658
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 55
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  sanderson on 3/30/2018, 5:09 pm

Ginger, have you been able to "attend"?

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 16043
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  Ginger Blue on 3/30/2018, 5:38 pm

I have not - not yet, anyway.  Sorry guys; I hate to disappoint, but taking notes and posting bullets just ain't gonna happen.... No
avatar
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 258
Join date : 2016-06-02
Location : New Hampshire, Zone 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  countrynaturals on 3/31/2018, 11:58 am

I registered late and they just ignored me, which is too bad. This really looked interesting and I would have been happy to take notes and post reports.  Sad
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 3384
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  Ginger Blue on 3/31/2018, 9:16 pm

First, I apologize if my previous reply seemed terse, it was not my intent.  Technical difficulties, real estate transactions, family drama, and the upcoming holiday have conspired against me "participating" in the summit as I wanted to.  I have yet to view a single session. Rolling Eyes

Suz, several of the emails I received after registering were automatically routed to my spam folder -- you should check yours, if you haven't already.  I believe all of the sessions are accessible until the last day of the summit.  If you'd like to inquire further, try sending an email to the support folks at: team@masteringdiabetes.org  I love you


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My focus has been so intense and compartmentalized lately, I keep forgetting to say it, so I'll say it whilst I'm thinkin' of it...


Happy Easter everyone!  And happy !
avatar
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 258
Join date : 2016-06-02
Location : New Hampshire, Zone 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  countrynaturals on 4/1/2018, 12:14 pm

@Ginger Blue wrote:First, I apologize if my previous reply seemed terse, it was not my intent.  Technical difficulties, real estate transactions, family drama, and the upcoming holiday have conspired against me "participating" in the summit as I wanted to.  I have yet to view a single session. Rolling Eyes

Suz, several of the emails I received after registering were automatically routed to my spam folder -- you should check yours, if you haven't already.  I believe all of the sessions are accessible until the last day of the summit.  If you'd like to inquire further, try sending an email to the support folks at: team@masteringdiabetes.org  I love you


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My focus has been so intense and compartmentalized lately, I keep forgetting to say it, so I'll say it whilst I'm thinkin' of it...


Happy Easter everyone!  And happy !
I checked one more time and found the welcome email. YEE-HAH! Thanks for the extra push. We have Easter Brunch with the family this morning, but maybe I'll settle down with that seminar tonight, call it my evening's entertainment, and post reports tonight or tomorrow. Thank goodness it's still going on until tomorrow.  Cool
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 3384
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  sanderson on 4/1/2018, 2:37 pm

Ginger, life does seem to get in the way of what we would like to do.

Hope both of you get to watch some of the presentations.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 16043
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  countrynaturals on 4/2/2018, 10:38 am

WOW! I just watched Brenda Davis. She got me so motivated I can't wait to grow and eat more veggies. If the rest of these presentations are as interesting and meaty, I may have to spend the money to upgrade.  Rolling Eyes
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 3384
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  countrynaturals on 4/2/2018, 11:24 am

YEE-HAH! Joel Fuhrman is one of the presenters. He wrote the book that made such a difference in our lives. I may watch him next. Thanks again for posting this webinar, Ginger.

OMIGOSH! I thought it was over today, but it has 2 more days to go, plus a wrap-up on the 5th.  study   happy turtle
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 3384
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  countrynaturals on 4/2/2018, 11:43 am

First takeaway: Go vegan. Animal fat promotes insulin resistance, which is the real underlying cause of Type II diabetes. (Type I is a whole different animal.)
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 3384
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  countrynaturals on 4/2/2018, 1:03 pm

What I want to know is: "What do diabetic vegans eat for breakfast?" This is a serious question. Obviously, the answer isn't bacon & eggs, cereal and milk, bagel with cream cheese, or a Danish. 
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 3384
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  Ginger Blue on 4/2/2018, 7:13 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:What I want to know is: "What do diabetic vegans eat for breakfast?" This is a serious question. Obviously, the answer isn't bacon & eggs, cereal and milk, bagel with cream cheese, or a Danish. 

I'm so glad you're finding the presentations helpful!

Off the top of my head, my answer to your question about breakfast could be a couple of things:

1) a protein smoothy of fresh spinach, kale, mixed berries, carrot, some walnuts or almonds, flax, and pea-based protein powder and water or nut milk (if you're ambitious, you could also include a bit of fresh ginger, turmeric, bee pollen, etc)

2) oatmeal with nut milk

3) a "porridge" of quinoa, flax, sesame seeds, hemp, and buckwheat, nut milk, a dash of cinnamon, some sliced apple and/or raisins, and stevia

The vegan lifestyle isn't easy at first, but isn't as hard to manage as you might think, once you get the hang of it....

What a Face
avatar
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 258
Join date : 2016-06-02
Location : New Hampshire, Zone 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  Turan on 4/2/2018, 7:48 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:First takeaway: Go vegan. Animal fat promotes insulin resistance, which is the real underlying cause of Type II diabetes. (Type I is a whole different animal.)
I need some sort of sourcing on that, because it sounds very false, in fact the opposite is true by what I was taught. Insulin is regulating blood glucose levels, those come from carbohydrates and sugars, not fat of any type or protein.
Maybe I misunderstand you though.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
avatar
Turan

Female Posts : 2475
Join date : 2012-03-29
Location : Gallatin Valley, Montana, Intermountain zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  countrynaturals on 4/3/2018, 10:32 am

@Turan wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:First takeaway: Go vegan. Animal fat promotes insulin resistance, which is the real underlying cause of Type II diabetes. (Type I is a whole different animal.)
I need some sort of sourcing on that, because it sounds very false, in fact the opposite is true by what I was taught.  Insulin is regulating blood glucose levels, those come from carbohydrates and sugars, not fat of any type or protein.  
Maybe I misunderstand you though.
That's what I thought, too. We've given up so much, if cream and cheese have to go too, we won't be happy campers around here.  Sad  

There's so much to wade through on this stuff, and I got such a late start, I'm going to upgrade, so I can go through every bit of it without going on overload. 

For "sourcing" the theme is "insulin resistance" rather than "diabetes." I just did a regular Google search and came up with this: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/305567.php. It is from 2017 and does say to eliminate dairy, especially milk, but it's pretty far down on the list. 

I think I'll go watch Joel Fuhrman now, and see if he can clear things up.  Rolling Eyes
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 3384
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  countrynaturals on 4/3/2018, 10:36 am

@Ginger Blue wrote:The vegan lifestyle isn't easy at first, but isn't as hard to manage as you might think, once you get the hang of it....

Are you vegan? Did that "fix" your blood sugar?
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 3384
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  Ginger Blue on 4/3/2018, 1:14 pm

I'm not vegan now, but I have gone stretches in the past, including most of the time I reversed my T2 diabetes.  I enjoy meat and dairy too much to give it up forever... Cool

The "beans and greens" diet can be surprising satisfying. My point in the previous post was that if you choose to commit to the vegan lifestyle, it may be difficult at first, but becomes easier (not necessarily effortless), as you go.

Being married now, with a teenage daughter, making lifestyle and diet changes is much more difficult for me this time around.  I have a long way to go.  As it is, I occasionally include vegan or vegetarian dishes in our meal rotation, but I'd really like to get to the point that we're vegan most of the time.  For me it's a lot easier said than done, but I haven't given up, yet.

If all goes to plan, we'll close on our new property next month and I can get to gardening, again. I can hardly wait! What a Face bounce
avatar
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 258
Join date : 2016-06-02
Location : New Hampshire, Zone 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  Turan on 4/3/2018, 1:15 pm

Suz, I hope you figure it out, for yourself and for the rest of us listening.

This spring I am taking a chemistry class for non science majors at the local university. It is taught by an older professor who is passionate about biochemistry and nutrition. He is involved in research on diabetes among other stuff. Besides our text book he had us read a book by Dr Lustig. The book is written in an infuriating style (at least to me) but he is careful to show the peer reviewed sources for his work. Dr Lustig came to the university and gave several lectures, which I attended. One of his points was that 20% of obese people do not have T2D, and 40% of normal weight have T2D, there are more thin people with T2D. This describes me, fat but healthy, and my DH, thin but pre-diabetic. Here is a lecture by him, it is really interesting about all this. He is very anti sugar. https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/type-2-diabetes/79338-robert-lustig-metabolic-syndrome/

I met a woman who works with my professor, her DH is T2diabetic and has reversed it, or manages it, via a ketogenic diet. Meat, fat, vegetables, but very strict on any carbohydrates. A ketogenic diet uses a non insulin dependant path so you may be just side stepping the insulin resistance. I am curious about this.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
avatar
Turan

Female Posts : 2475
Join date : 2012-03-29
Location : Gallatin Valley, Montana, Intermountain zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  countrynaturals on 4/3/2018, 2:09 pm

Laughing
@Turan wrote:Suz, I hope you figure it out, for yourself and for the rest of us listening.

This spring I am taking a chemistry class for non science majors at the local university.  It is taught by an older professor who is passionate about biochemistry and nutrition.  He is involved in research on diabetes among other stuff. Besides our text book he had us read a book by Dr Lustig.  The book is written in an infuriating style (at least to me) but he is careful to show the peer reviewed sources for his work.  Dr Lustig came to the university and gave several lectures, which I attended.  One of his points was that 20% of obese people do not have T2D, and 40% of normal weight have T2D, there are more thin people with T2D.  This describes me, fat but healthy, and my DH, thin but pre-diabetic.  Here is a lecture by him, it is really interesting about all this. He is very anti sugar. https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/type-2-diabetes/79338-robert-lustig-metabolic-syndrome/

I met a woman who works with my professor, her DH is T2diabetic and has reversed it, or manages it, via a ketogenic diet.  Meat, fat, vegetables, but very strict on any carbohydrates.  A ketogenic diet uses a non insulin dependant path so you may be just side stepping the insulin resistance.  I am curious about this.
Lustig is not part of this group, so it will be interesting to compare his approach to theirs.

Fuhrman said something that was a real eye-opener. He says flat out that eating animal products will shorten our lives. Period! He says that preditors are programmed to die sooner if they eat too much meat, to keep the numbers in balance between predators and prey. He says it also alters our genes so future generations will die sooner, for the same reason. 

He has a new book out called Fast Food Genocide, that says urbanites are poisoning their bodies, brains, and genes with fast food, contributing to dementia, dimished thought processes, autism, and even carrying over into social behaviors. This has nothing to do with diabetes, but it's very scary.  affraid
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 3384
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Mastering Diabetes Summit, March 28-April 4

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


Post new topic   Reply to topic
 
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum