Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Toplef10Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 I22gcj10Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Toplef10Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 I22gcj10Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 11:55 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California

+28
Luvslions
ispinwool
toledobend
mollyhespra
Yardslave
kygardener
SQWIB
No_Such_Reality
Roseinarosecity
BlackjackWidow
Kelejan
jimmy cee
Scorpio Rising
kamigh
CapeCoddess
Kate888
crankyoldman
PNG_Grandma
has55
camprn
liam1027
Turan
AtlantaMarie
farmersgranddaughter
yolos
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
sanderson
32 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Empty Re: Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California

Post  sanderson 6/6/2018, 1:52 pm

Reflect the heat and keep the soil dark and cool.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21555

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Empty Re: Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California

Post  countrynaturals 6/6/2018, 8:25 pm

sanderson wrote:Reflect the heat and keep the soil dark and cool.
So, wouldn't those mylar thingies work better?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/6/2018, 9:48 pm

S, your garden is lookin great.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/7/2018, 8:24 pm

The mylar would work I'm sure. The aluminum seems to work just right, blocking the light but not insulating against the warmth, if that makes sense. geek

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 6/8/2018, 4:13 pm

Sanderson, you have a great garden with a variety of setups! Nice work.
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/8/2018, 9:47 pm

Thank you, Rose.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/8/2018, 10:25 pm

I just came across your garden paradise.. I love it.  to me everything looks neatly placed and nicely constructed..
I could sit there and drink coffee and dream all day...do you do that ? I find dreaming so relaxing..
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/9/2018, 3:25 am

Jimmy, I actually don't have anywhere to sit down. But I do stroll with my coffee reading , thinking of things I could do, should do, and wish I could do. thinking

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackjackWidow 6/9/2018, 11:53 am

jimmy cee wrote:I just came across your garden paradise.. I love it.  to me everything looks neatly placed and nicely constructed..
I could sit there and drink coffee and dream all day...do you do that ? I find dreaming so relaxing..
+1
BlackjackWidow
BlackjackWidow

Female Posts : 173

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/14/2018, 5:31 pm

sanderson wrote:After receiving 3"of rain recently, the weather has been in the 70s and 80s.  My seedlings are small but they are now outdoors, at least until the rain next weekend.  I have had trouble with my iPhone emailing photos to the PC, so I haven't been able to post any photos until today. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Seedli19

I'm in the process of amending the beds with homemade compost.  First I remove the wood grids or serpentine strings and the driplines.  Then dump in buckets of compost and roughly turning it under.  Replace the grid work and driplines.  The following photos are a 2' x 7' bed being amended and converted for summer.

It looked like this during the winter.  (Photo is actually a similar 2' x 8' bed.)  Yikes!  The ground looked so ugly before the wood chips were spread. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Winter15

Here is the 2' x 7' bed being amended and the PVC winter frames being swapped out for the tall overhead summer frames.  Compost has been added and the serpentine string restrung and the drip lines replaced in the bed. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Table_15

I store sets of frames in heavy plastic sleeves, cut to size.  The bottom is sealed using the seal-a-meal.  The tall poles are still in the bag in this photo and the winter gable frames will, in turn, be knocked apart and stored in the bag until October. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Table_16

Meanwhile, I started a new batch in the Lifetime Composter on March 26, using leaves, soaked alfalfa pellets, and veggies.  It was filled up to the top after this photo was taken. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Compos14

On day 2, March 27, it had shrunk quite a bit so I topped it off with more leaves, soaked alfalfa pellets, and gasp! expired canned food and packages!  Tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, oranges, cream of mushroom and celery soup, grains, canned cherries, beef broth, etc.!  Days 3, 4, 5 and 6 the temps reached 131*F, 148*F, 160*F and 160*F.  I have been turning it once a day to provide fresh oxygen and to let off some steam.  It was filled to the top ate this photo was taken. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Compos16

Day 6 after another turning and probe thermometer replaced. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Compos15

Last photo, I promise.  Last order from Baker Creek arrived. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Seeds_10
Hi Sanderson, I am interested in your lifetime tumbler. quality and sturdyness are my biggest concerns. Can you comment ? Thanks.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/14/2018, 10:37 pm

I just responded in the other thread! Very Happy  I love it for so many reasons. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Compos11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/23/2018, 5:14 am

We have hit the summer solstice and the temps have hit the 100*F mark plus a few times.  From here on out it will be just plain hot with a few days of relief in the 90s.  As the weather changes, so do my plants.  Once fresh green, they no longer look like something out of Better Homes and Gardens. Sad   You could call this the early summer uglies, which will just get worse over the next 3 months.  I'm posting these photos to show newbies that not all gardens look beautiful,.  If they give you produce, they are "beautiful".

Cantaloupe and sweet melon planted 1/square in a 2'x4' bed with lots of trellising.  The lateral vines have escaped their cage! Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Cantal10

Hales cantaloupe.  I have some mesh produce bags that I will slip over the melons in case Rocky, a rat or the 'possum wants a snack. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Cantal11

Sweet Melon, new for me. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Melon_10

Cantaloupe left bed and Winter squash right bed. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 West_s10

The cutest little watermelon with lots of fuzz in the winter squash bed. It may or may not be pollinated enough. Time will tell. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Waterm10

Winter squash. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Winter10

Winter squash. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Winter11

Cucumbers taking a beating in the heat.  Still getting good Munchers, enough for one a day. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Cucumb10

The Blue lake bush beans have been producing well.  Leaves are yellowing and falling off and it looks a little wild right now.  As long as it produces I'm happy. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Bean_b10

Pepper box.  Not many peppers this year made it from seedling to planting.  So I added 2 Snow Fairy compact tomators and 2 Japanese Millionaire eggplants. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Pepper10

Indeterminate tomatoes and flowers with the wrap of trellis netting.  I really like the netting idea as it buys me time to get out and sort through the stems and unwanted suckers. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Tomato11

Tomato row in the BTE and 5-gallon buckets.  I finally wrapped the buckets with their aluminum foil protection. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Bte_to10

The corn planting was not a great success.  The trellis netting seems to be holding them upright at this stage.  I really, really need to have some horizontal "stops" in case there is a big gust of wind. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Corn_610

First cotton seedling to sprout, shown next to the only soy bean to sprout out of 72 beans! Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Cotton10

The cotton bed held the winter garlic.  I tried soy beans but they were a bust.  So 8 cotton seeds are planted here.  The bed immediately behind has the Dragon Tongue beans, which are producing nicely.  I put little wire fences around the perimeter but the bean plants have other plans. Camouflaged are the 2 totes with sweet potatoes vines showing.  In the background are BTE tomatoes.Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Cotton11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackjackWidow 6/23/2018, 8:54 am

sanderson wrote: I'm posting these photos to show newbies that not all gardens look beautiful,.  If they give you produce, they are "beautiful".

That is the best quote I've seen in a while, and gives me hope.  thanks
BlackjackWidow
BlackjackWidow

Female Posts : 173

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/23/2018, 11:24 am

You have a lot of things going on there.  Hope you get a good harvest before the heat shuts some things down.  Lots and lots of trellises but they allow a lot of veggies to grow in a small area.  Congrats.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/23/2018, 3:08 pm

BlackjackWidow wrote:
sanderson wrote: I'm posting these photos to show newbies that not all gardens look beautiful,.  If they give you produce, they are "beautiful".

That is the best quote I've seen in a while, and gives me hope.  thanks
Thank you. That was the intent.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/23/2018, 3:54 pm

I missed 2 photos.  The Blue Lake pole beans on a double trellis and the dedicated flower bed right out the back door. The beans topped the trellis and came back down and back up. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Bean_b11

Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Flower10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/23/2018, 3:56 pm

sanderson wrote:I missed 2 photos.  The Blue Lake pole beans on a double trellis and the dedicated flower bed right out the back door. The beans topped the trellis and came back down and back up. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Bean_b11

Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Flower10
Wow Sanderson, your garden looks great.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 6/24/2018, 12:22 am

sanderson wrote: The Blue Lake pole beans on a double trellis and the dedicated flower bed right out the back door. The beans topped the trellis and came back down and back up.

WOW, the beans look great!  What is the original length of the bean trellis?
Are your PVC's shaped like houses for tenting to protect from your 100 F days?
R
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/24/2018, 2:18 am

Rose, I will measure tomorrow. Probably 6' from the top of the Mel's Mix.

The PVC house frames work great for hail or rain storms with 4 mil plastic sheeting. In the winter they are covered with bridal tulle to protect the brassicas and kales, etc. against the white butterfly. If a storm comes up, I have a box of pre-cut and labeled plastic to quickly throw over the frames and tullle.

The trellised ones can be covered with sun shade. Sun shade for the house frames is actually suspended over head on paracord runners. Photos maybe tomorrow as we are in the 100s now.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/23/2018, 2:54 am

Update on the garden after 1 1/2 months of +100*F degrees.  Some of the beds are being cleared, mostly due to spider mites.  The lawn is mostly yellow with some new varieties of weeds and grass from the leaves from a neighbor last fall.  Ken mowed the leaves last fall on the lawn and oh my goodness, what a collection of unwanted weeds and grasses!!  Shocked

SE corner  8-21-18.  Taken before the dying Dragon tongues were pulled in the evening.  The cotton and sweet potatoes are doing well.  The tomatoes are just starting to have a few flowers.  Since nothing will grow in the 1' x 4' table top, I'm thinking it may be a good garden tool box with a lid.  thinking   Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Garden16

South 8-21-18.  Cotton, flower bed on the right and some trampled purslane. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Garden18

SW 8-21-18.  Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Garden17

West 8-21-18.  Summer and winter squash are gone now. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Garden19

Amended dirt strip. Taken 8-9-18 - 2 extra pickling cucumbers that are doing surprisingly well in the heat.  They get shade starting about 1 PM. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 4 Bte_ex10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/23/2018, 8:28 am

Everything looks great, even with the horrible temps & drought!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 8/23/2018, 5:31 pm

August and early September in SoCal aren't my friends for gardening. While our weather isn't as hot typically as Fresno, we have higher overnight humidity.  Hence it tends to be PM mania time.

I always struggle this time of year with the debate of tearing out plants, trimming plants and hoping they rebound or letting it go.  My tomatoes look like they're about done. The leaves are speckled. PM is on the squash like mad.  And I can't seem to get green bush beans to germinate.  Don't know if its too hot or something eating the shoots off immediately.  

All the while my garden as a good undergrowth of 'weeds'.  Borage. :-), some grass, three or four other california weedy things.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 8/23/2018, 10:25 pm

Really beautiful work Sanderson. Very refreshing to see.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/24/2018, 1:05 am

No_Such_Reality wrote:August and early September in SoCal aren't my friends for gardening. . .
I always struggle this time of year with the debate of tearing out plants, trimming plants and hoping they rebound or letting it go. 
I understand about wanting to rip out the plants at this time of the summer. The pink eye purple hull beans are doing great, but all of the "green" beans are done. Squashes, also. I would have removed the 6 remaining cantaloupe plants if not for the three fruits growing.

Thanks, Jimmy and AM

Jimmy, can you look at "Compost Tea Recipe" and give a comment on what I bought? Thanks.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/25/2018, 12:01 pm

jimmy cee wrote:Really beautiful work Sanderson. Very refreshing to see.
+1
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next