Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Toplef10Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 I22gcj10Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Toplef10Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 I22gcj10Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Today at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Today at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California

+28
Luvslions
ispinwool
toledobend
mollyhespra
Yardslave
kygardener
SQWIB
No_Such_Reality
Roseinarosecity
BlackjackWidow
Kelejan
jimmy cee
Scorpio Rising
kamigh
CapeCoddess
Kate888
crankyoldman
PNG_Grandma
has55
camprn
liam1027
Turan
AtlantaMarie
farmersgranddaughter
yolos
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
sanderson
32 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Empty Re: Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California

Post  sanderson 6/7/2019, 12:50 am

CapeCoddess wrote:Looks awesome, Sanderson! When I grow up I want to have a garden like that! in photo number three is that a bucket brigade full of wood chips? If so, where did you get those wood chips?
Thank you. We get the plain wood chips at, of all things, a cement ready-mix business that also carries rocks, pebbles and other materials. The chips are common pine/fire for playground covers.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21556

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Empty Re: Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California

Post  Roseinarosecity 6/7/2019, 6:36 pm

Great job on your garden beds!
Are the night lights solar, battery, or electric plug in?
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/8/2019, 3:03 am

happy hi Hi, Rose. They are electric on a timer. Mel wanted beds close to the house where there is usually a hose for watering and the plants can be easily tended. Little did he know that an electric outlet on the back porch was a bonus. I have had cheap solar lights along the walkway and a few beds as safety points. But, the Christmas lights just cheer up the garden.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/4/2019, 2:01 pm

I have been brief on here, recently, due to harvesting, blanching and freezing, dehydrating, mulching the beds and building the last 2 compost piles!

I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with much of the hard work.  Two things have cheered me up.  First, I'm going to be using E-Z Straw as mulch next year instead of spending hours chopping up bedding straw.  It's a messy job here on the back patio a which means I have to keep cleaning.  Second, and the most important, is that I am transitioning to bagged compost.  No more runs to the Farmers' Market and hours of chopping buckets of spoiling produce.  No more mowing alfalfa hay and bedding straw with fines covering everything.  No more collecting leaves and the mold attacks I experience.  No more runs to the horse area at Fresno State for horse manure.  No more runs to Starbucks for coffee grinds.  I'm really proud of myself for all of the cages and tumblers worth of compost I've made, turned, testing temperatures, etc.   It's such a relief to be able to stop the harder labor and simply enjoy the SFG beds.  I'll be turning 71 soon, and I think I've done or tried everything in the ANSFG book.

Shade cloth up.  Dragon Tongue beans in the left bed, onions and cotton in the right bed.  I'm getting rid of the 1'x4' herb table top bed.  I want/need more space on the patio. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Garden53

We installed panels along the west side for the long vines of winter squash and bird nest gourds. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Garden54

Almost immediately, this appeared!  A hybrid spaghetti squash? Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Winter20

The yellow squash plant bit the dust so there are now white vincas in the small bed. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Garden55

A garden view. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Garden56

Another view. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Garden57

Cleaning up the back patio has been a priority.  I still have a lot to do but I did get everything hosed, much of the tools put away, and the windows and screens washed.  Despite the congestion and clutter still present, I can finally take a wider shot of the BTE tomatoes.  As you can see, the 1'x4' herb beds is just in the way. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Garden58

And, a wider shot of the beds off the patio in the other direction.  Herb bed photo-bombing.Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Garden59

My "Johnson-Su compost bin using rigid leach field/french drain pipes from Lowes.  I thought a large covered storage bin was full of fall leaves but there were only 2 bags worth.  Hence a really short Jj-SuGarlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Compos27

Peppers, Snow Fairy tomatoes and eggplant.  Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Garden63

Snow Fairies taken 6-22.  Producing red tomatoes daily.  This is the tomato from which I must save seeds this summer.  Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Tomato21

Tomato BTE row. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Garden64

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/4/2019, 2:14 pm

Lookin' good, S. My gardens have lots of holes, so I'll be replanting, tomorrow -- still lots of summer left to start new stuff. bounce
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/4/2019, 2:19 pm

Sanderson - you have a lot going on there.  Does this mean when I turn 71 in two years I can stop making compost.

Is there a particular reason you need to save the Snow Fairy tomato seeds other than to save money???
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/4/2019, 3:35 pm

Yes, I give you permission to stop composting when you turn 71. Wink

Baker Creek and other seed sites did not offer them this year. BC said they were unable to source them. Sad I got the seeds originally from Audrey, then ordered a pack from BC. They are the first to ripen and last to produce. They are only about 2" in diameter.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/22/2019, 2:50 pm

I can't believe that July 7 was the last time I posted here! Shocked

We have had a few days break in the weather, in the 90"s.  I've been getting up with the sun and working a few hours, then napping during the heat, then a little more work in the evening.  Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Sunris10

One thing I decided is no more composting.  Composting for 6 years has been very rewarding.  But, it is now too hard to enjoy.  I'm just going to buy as many different types of bagged compost as possible.  This is my 13th round of compost in the Lifetime Tumbler, one (1) 33-gallon rolling bin full of its screened compost with a second rolling bin from the last of the hot method compost cage, and 3 types of bagged compost.  There is a good compost made in Sacramento that is no longer available in Fresno.  Next trip up there, I will try to get a couple of bags.  It's made from tomato waste, rice hulls and sawdust composted with nitrogen.  Or I can try Whole Foods next spring.
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Compos33
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Compos31
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Compos32

I removed the walking onions from their beds, amended, and planted re-planted a few bulbs and bulblets.   I advertised for free walking onions on Craig's List and got a taker who lives up in the high foot hills.  She is a row gardener but wanted to try them.   I asked her how many square feet she was giving to the onions and she replied that she has an acre!!   Razz  Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Onion_12
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Onion_13

We installed cattle panel over the west side walkway and the winter squash and birdnest gourd love it.  They help shade the hot west side of the house.  Here are my hybrid spaghetti squash.  I wonder if they will have the spaghetti characteristic and the same flavor. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Squash13

Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Squash12

Cotton is blooming and forming bolls.  Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Cotton21

That's all I have for now.  Oh, I sold 10 hanging basket frames, around 25 of the pots I bought when I first started SFG and the strawberry mini-towers.  At the same time, it was our turn for the Neighborhood Cleanup by the City.  We set out the 1'x4' table top bed, the frame of a former mini green house, and clay pots.  Poof!  The professional scavengers swooped them up. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Herb_b11
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 2019_m10
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 2019_s10Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 2019_p10
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 2019_w10

Slowly, whittling things down to just gardening with fun.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/23/2019, 8:03 am

Wow.... Wish I lived nearby... I woulda scavenged your place too, lol!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/23/2019, 9:18 pm

I get it, sanderson...I am a single woman, and I can’t do heavy lifting stuff.  So it has to be easy.  My kids got me a compost bin this year as my pile just gets overtaken every year by weeds, so I am giving it a try.  I mainly do coffee grounds, leaves, and kitchen offing’s.  We’ll see!  

I only have my 4x4 and repurposed windowboxes, and the 8 containers for hotties (melons and squash) on the south end.  All I need!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8731

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/23/2019, 9:39 pm

Knowing one's limit is half the fun of gardening. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/24/2019, 10:29 am

sanderson wrote:Knowing one's limit is half the fun of gardening. Very Happy
Not when you can't get more than half of it to produce. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 671790 The only thing that saves me is a long growing season, so I have time to recover from my all-too-many mistakes. dangit
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/26/2019, 7:58 am

Suz! NOT mistakes! Learning experiences. It takes time to find what works for YOUR micro-climate in YOUR yard... And what works in your yard may not work in the neighbor's...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/26/2019, 9:26 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Suz!  NOT mistakes!  Learning experiences.  It takes time to find what works for YOUR micro-climate in YOUR yard...  And what works in your yard may not work in the neighbor's...
Thanks, Marie -- I needed that. I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/28/2019, 2:29 pm

I sold the 80-gallon lifetime tumbler to an experienced gardener! The black beast is gone and all I have left is the cubic yard bin. I felt sad seeing the tumbler go, all of 20 seconds. Razz Not doing any more composting at my age is a huge relief. I can't even explain how happy I am. I composted for 6 years and made 13 cubic yards of hot Berkeley compost and 13 tumbler batches, each tumbler batch filling a 33-gallon rolling bin.

Getting rid of composting and deciding to go with E-Z Straw for mulch will greatly reduce the number of work hours for both Ken and I.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/28/2019, 4:20 pm

Sounds good, Sanderson!  I have set a goal to quit composting on my 80th birthday, so that gives me a few more years.  I've been composting since 1972, and its kind of gotten to be a habit. Ha!

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4541

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/28/2019, 5:23 pm

But Sanderson you were my composting inspiration!!!

I love making my own compost but it is a lot of work. If I could find a good source fir buying it I would go that route as well  I don't expect that I will find such a source here. I may have to resort to just piling stuff up and letting it compost over a long time without the effort of turning the pile.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/29/2019, 12:59 am

TD, What about making another lasagna coffin? That seemed to work well for you.

OG, I don't really have a choice. The air quality is bad unless it rains. And, every time I work with my composts, I get a deep cough, maybe from the mold or fungi. Anyway, I enjoyed the journey but am hanging up my manure fork.

Next week I will be starting the winter veggies and sowing one bed with Strike or Super Snappy bush peas. I can't believe that I will be removing summer veggies in a month! Shocked

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/29/2019, 9:53 am

sanderson wrote:
Next week I will be starting the winter veggies and sowing one bed with Strike or Super Snappy bush peas.  I can't believe that I will be removing summer veggies in a month! Shocked
Ooo, thanks for the reminder -- gonna start peas, today. happy turtle
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/29/2019, 1:08 pm

Just direct sow.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/31/2019, 4:02 pm

I need to harvest and do some prepping.  Just one problem.  How in the world did my fore mothers do it!

Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 New_ki10
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 New_ki11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/6/2019, 2:54 pm

The compost bin and tumbler have found new homes.  The space looks so empty, but I feel so good about it.  I can't wait until I can get out there to clean up and spread new wood chips.  Also on the plus side, the cage went to a charter school and will be used as part of gardening.  I love you

Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Compos36
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Compos37
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Compos34
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Compos35

On the down side, the aphids just killed the winter squash plants that are right up to the neighbor's yard.  Just an unusually bad year for aphids and red spider mites. Not to mention a couple of brazen roof rats that enjoyed dinner every night.  They would just stare at me.  There's only one now, and I think it has moved away.  

Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Pest_a11
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Pest_a12
Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Pest_r10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/6/2019, 3:19 pm

I feel your pain on the squash. I have one producing Mediterranean cuke and that's it for any kind of vine crop this year.  Sad  No squash, no melons, no zukes, no pumpkins -- just a lot of work for nothing. Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/23/2020, 3:42 am

A new stage of the SFG garden, replacing the 2'x8' table top bed.  It was built fall of 2014, back when we used only 1/2" exterior plywood as the bottoms.  It started to fail last fall and Ken shored it up underneath to get through the winter crops.  With rain expected Sunday night, we started working on this project Friday.  Then Saturday, light rain interfered off and on, and this evening it was finished.  Ken did the heavy work and I did the slow, tedious work. As I write this, it's finally really raining. Very Happy

First step was to remove the drip system, the PVC frames (in the background) and the last of the winter plants. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Table_42

Then, removing the Mel's Mix, bucket by bucket, carefully storing in on clean plastic sheeting. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Table_41

This is literally the hole that Ken shored up from underneath last October. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Table_43

Cutting up the bed was Ken's Job.  Demo job! Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Table_44

Leveling the wood chips and laying down cement board.  I keep telling people that SFG beds can be set on a concrete patio so I thought this would be a good experiment.  Maybe 1/2" cement board (not the Hardy Duraboard) would work for preventing pesky roots, tenacious weeds and moles from coming up through the bottom of on-ground beds?? Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Table_45

Frame in place. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Table_46

Using plumber's tape, I made straps for corner and long side cup holders for the PVC frame. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Table_47

Rolling out the durable weed fabric. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Table_48

Mel's Mix back in, bucket by bucket. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Table_49

Final steps of replacing the drip system, the PVC frame and brand new grids, 2 sections of 2'x4'. Garlic - Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 7 Table_50

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/23/2020, 7:07 am

Wow that looks great. Well done both of you.
cheers happy banana
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next