Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Your favorite blackberries or raspberries? Toplef10Your favorite blackberries or raspberries? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Your favorite blackberries or raspberries? I22gcj10Your favorite blackberries or raspberries? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Your favorite blackberries or raspberries? Toplef10Your favorite blackberries or raspberries? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Your favorite blackberries or raspberries? I22gcj10Your favorite blackberries or raspberries? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Your favorite blackberries or raspberries?

+2
donnainzone5
dixie
6 posters

Go down

Your favorite blackberries or raspberries? Empty Your favorite blackberries or raspberries?

Post  dixie 2/20/2018, 8:51 pm

What are your favorite blackberries or raspberries for our zone?
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Your favorite blackberries or raspberries? Empty Re: Your favorite blackberries or raspberries?

Post  donnainzone5 2/20/2018, 9:30 pm

What is your zone? 7?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Your favorite blackberries or raspberries? Empty Re: Your favorite blackberries or raspberries?

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/21/2018, 7:07 am

Dixie, I believe you are in Mid-South, zone 7.

I've been debating on both for quite a while, but haven't taken the plunge yet. Part of that debate for MY garden is heirloom vs. modern (& thorn-less) varieties. (I concentrate on heirlooms.)

You might want to contact your local Extension Service office to see what they recommend.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 2/23/2018, 5:51 pm

I am in zone 7a, and I grew "Heritage" raspberries for a while.    The planting instructions said to remove all wild raspberries within 500-feet, and it also said that raspberries don't like wet conditions.   Well, there are wild raspberries on the adjacent public land, so I wasn't going to remove them.   And the only open place I had left in my backyard was adjacent to a drainage ditch.  I took my chances and had great harvests for a few years, but the plants eventually  got diseased.   But if I ever move, I will definitely plant raspberries again!   (and do it the right way)
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 2/26/2018, 12:12 pm

Thanks, y'all.  I posted in MidSouth, but didn't even think about adding zone 7, sorry.   I grew thornless blackberries once & they were huge and plentiful, but the seeds were a definite problem.  They gradually died out, though they were planted according to instructions.  I also planted raspberries, but I put them too far from the house so they didn't get proper watering, so they are gone too.  We are redoing our garden this year & I've got a good spot for them, but still haven't decided what to do about berries.
dixie
dixie

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/27/2018, 5:23 am

Dixie, how did the thornless ones taste? And what kind of disease resistance did they have?

I keep running back & forth between raspberries, blackberries, loganberries & boysenberries. I know I can't have all of them.... Not enough space. But thornless would be a huge benefit!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  farmersgranddaughter 2/27/2018, 8:51 am

My father has planted thornless varieties Apache and Arapaho.  Apache blackberries are HUGE.

I'm planting blackberries this year.  I decided to go with Prime-Ark Freedom.  It's a thornless primocane variety.  I chose this variety because a) I'm impatient and want fruit the first year; b) I don't like thorns; c) I've read that the berries and large and tasty; and d) it was developed by the University of Arkansas which is 20 miles from where I live so it should grow well here.

I plan to plant raspberries next year.  At my previous house, I had planted a thornless variety of raspberries that I purchased from Gurney's.  We moved the following year so I'm not sure how well they produced, but we did get some fruit the first year.
farmersgranddaughter
farmersgranddaughter

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 2/27/2018, 5:27 pm

AtlantaMarie, I made cobblers and jelly that had very good flavor, but the large seeds were bothersome. The seeds were much larger than heritage type blackberries.   No disease problems that I remember seeing.  They were HUGE, and may have been Apache, as that name sounds familiar.    I ordered 2 mulberry plants from Baker Creek.  I plan on keeping them in tubs so hopefully they won't be too much of a nuisance.
dixie
dixie

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/17/2019, 10:46 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:You might want to contact your local Extension Service office to see what they recommend.
Well, DUH! I'm in the same situation, trying to decide what variety to plant -- never thought about calling our local ag folks for advice. Rolling Eyes  Thanks, Marie. I'm zone 9b, btw.

Our wild blackberries are small but tasty and the deer leave them alone. If we went with a thornless variety, would the deer figure it out? thinking
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down