Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? Toplef10Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? I22gcj10Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? Toplef10Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? I22gcj10Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet?

+7
BeetlesPerSqFt
sanderson
NAR56
Scorpio Rising
SQWIB
Mikesgardn
sfg4uKim
11 posters

Go down

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? Empty Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet?

Post  sfg4uKim 1/29/2018, 5:12 pm

I know this post is a little early, but I'll probably be busy on the 1st getting ready for a SFG talk for a garden club.

Wanted to know if anyone has started seeds indoors yet. If so, what? How are you doing it?

A couple days ago I started rosemary and stevia in plastic egg cartons. I thickly seeded a bunch of different lettuces, greens and broccoli in a 10" x 20" seed flat, covered with a clear dome and sitting on a warming mat.

Today I started: basil, flat-leaf and curly parsley, 2 cabbages, cardoons, a few different leaf lettuces, black seed, kale and arugula which is in a seed flat, covered and on the warming mat. I also started turmeric in a pot and on the seed mat.

As things sprout, I put the seed flats onto a shoe tower where I've removed every other shelf. I can also tilt flower pots on the tower. It's on wheels and sits in front of a South-facing glass door. When the grandkids come over, it's quickly moved to the spare bedroom out of their way. It's also easy to pull away from the window and turn around to water.

I've been having trouble posting pictures, so here's a link to the shoe tower: SHOE TOWER

If you're on Facebook, you can see a photo at: SHOE TOWER WITH SEED TRAYS

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? Empty Re: Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet?

Post  Mikesgardn 1/29/2018, 9:29 pm

I don't start my own seedlings indoors.  With a working wife, and a small house, I don't have the time or space to do it.   I direct seed outside what will grow here in Maryland.  For those veggies that can't be grown from seed outside in MD,  I am lucky to have a nice green house a couple miles away that does it for me!  Franks Produce and Greenhouse, Elkridge, MD.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? Empty Re: Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 1/30/2018, 11:10 pm

Not early, right on time... I'm supposed to bring the light stand up from the basement today so I can start the onions and leeks this week. But there's obstacles ...and I'm feeling whiny.  

Indoors: I have a wire shelf with T5 hanging fluorescent lights on a timer, and a JumpStart T5 light system on the top shelf. I've been putting it in front of the bathtub/show in the guest bath. It's awkward, but I have CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) anyhow. I'll start the onions and leeks in 128-cell trays with clear plastic dome covers, using commercial seed starting mix. I use the 36-cell trays or 9-cell packs to start my lettuces, endive, radiccchio, arugula, herbs, and beets, depending on how long they'll be inside for (the slugs and such get em before they have a chance when I direct sow several of those.) I use 4 to 6-cell packs for starting the 1-per-square brassicas, and the peppers, eggplants, and tomatoes. Those usually get transplanted up once or twice before going out. I used toilet paper tubes for the okra and parsley root last year. It worked ok for the okra, but the parsley root seemed stunted. I haven't figured out a method I like for nasturtiums - they have very adventurous roots. I use the jiffy pods (and the plastic lid) for the seeds that seem to, in my experience, need high humidity: celeriac, ground cherries, and tomatillos. I have an LED light string set up to provide bottom heat.

Outdoors: I direct sow my mustard, radishes, and carrots. I did some winter sowing last year, with plastic and/or Agfabric over zebra-grass hoops. I may do that again this year - it depends on the weather and my enthusiasm. I'm going to try to direct winter sow some of my flower/wild seeds this year, i.e. milk jug cloche over the planted seeds. I haven't planned that yet, but I should have fewer to worry about since some of the perennials and re-seeding annuals were successful last year and I can cross them off the list.  I germinate (just so there's visible root) my peas, favas, beans and spinach indoors before sowing/planting. Undecided on how to do cukes/squash/melons this year.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  SQWIB 1/31/2018, 8:43 am

I planted Maypops January 12th in 4" pots
Cabbage, Broccoli, Rosemary and Artichokes will be started this weekend.

Rosemary will be broadcast seeded into a 5" pot, cabbage and broccoli will most likely go in the smaller cell packs
Artichokes will go three seeds in 4" pots, will be attempting "Imperial Star" and "Globe" Artichokes.

Nothing else scheduled till the 17th

January 12th, Maypop seeds were soaked in two different liquids for 3 days, one was water and the other orange juice.
4 seeds of each were transferred to 4" pots with standard potting soil and set on a germination heat mat with a humidity dome @ 78°

• January 24th more Maypops were direct sowed outdoors and 6 or so were placed in soil under refrigeration.

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? 26098643088_d54a7b73de_b

• Got one sprout January 27th and it was removed from the germination tray.

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? 39939438922_46b52f474a_b

• A fan was set to cycle three times a day averaging 20 minutes each time. This is the 29th.

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? 39939431842_e0826d862c_b

• This is my setup (pics from last year)

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? 24084185965_1832e81e5b_b

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? 32951343615_fe0bb31b38_b

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? 33344513561_030463ebb4_b
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/1/2018, 12:12 am

Mikesgardn wrote:I don't start my own seedlings indoors.  With a working wife, and a small house, I don't have the time or space to do it.   I direct seed outside what will grow here in Maryland.  For those veggies that can't be grown from seed outside in MD,  I am lucky to have a nice green house a couple miles away that does it for me!  Franks Produce and Greenhouse, Elkridge, MD.
You are lucky, Mike!  I agree completely!  I do Seeds indoors, but also use my local nursery for stuff too!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 2/2/2018, 3:39 pm

I plan to start some Tomatoes and Jalapenos this weekend. The rest of my spring garden, I will purchase plants from my local nursery.

I am so ready for Spring!

Ryan
NAR56
NAR56

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/4/2018, 2:58 pm

Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 2/23/2018, 12:22 am

I got my onions/shallots/leeks/scallions, my first brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts), and my celeriac/celery started this past weekend. A few of the brassicas came up today. It's always so fun watching new seedlings appear! bounce  My replacement Aerogarden basils are visible today, too - fingers crossed, I killed off the thrips and they'll keep growing.

Today I set up milk-jug winter sowing of blue flag iris and cardinal flower (to transplant out by the creek.)
This weekend I should start my parsley and cocona -- maybe some direct winter sowing (i.e. milk jug cloches) of flowers and greens, and fridge-cold-stratification of some of the other flower seeds (milkweed!)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 3/5/2018, 4:09 pm

I started growing indoors on February 1, 2018 in cell packs the following vegetables:
  Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and Cabbage.

On March 4, 2018 I transplanted all of the above to pots.
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  skidmoca 3/6/2018, 8:20 pm

Hi!  This is my first year trying SFG.  In the past I've played with tomatoes and peppers, which I always bought already started.  I've planted peas from seed for several years.  Today I started broccoli, red pepper, zinnia, scabiosa and dianthus seeds.  I have a tray with peat pods and a lid, with a warming mat.  Fingers crossed!
skidmoca
skidmoca

Female Posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/6/2018, 8:26 pm

skidmoca wrote:Hi!  This is my first year trying SFG.  In the past I've played with tomatoes and peppers, which I always bought already started.  I've planted peas from seed for several years.  Today I started broccoli, red pepper, zinnia, scabiosa and dianthus seeds.  I have a tray with peat pods and a lid, with a warming mat.  Fingers crossed!
Good for you!  Do you have a light source, when they germinate?  South facing window is great, east not bad...

What kind of pepper are you growing?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  skidmoca 3/11/2018, 6:11 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
skidmoca wrote:Hi!  This is my first year trying SFG.  In the past I've played with tomatoes and peppers, which I always bought already started.  I've planted peas from seed for several years.  Today I started broccoli, red pepper, zinnia, scabiosa and dianthus seeds.  I have a tray with peat pods and a lid, with a warming mat.  Fingers crossed!
Good for you!  Do you have a light source, when they germinate?  South facing window is great, east not bad...

What kind of pepper are you growing?
Hi, not sure what specific kind, just red bell peppers.  Your question raises a questions I have.  My seeds are in a room with lots of windows and is southwest facing, but I got a grow light, just a small one.  Some broccoli seeds have germinated, but not the peppers.  Should I keep the lid on for the seeds and the light on for the plants?  I've opened the vents because there is condensation and I worry about their being too much moisture.  I could attach a picture of my little set up.

Thanks!
skidmoca
skidmoca

Back to top Go down

Post  farmersgranddaughter 3/11/2018, 11:28 pm

skidmoca, I placed 6-cell trays on a heat mat and set the thermostat to 78 degrees F.  Peppers sprouted in one week.  I kept the lids on for a couple of days even though there was a lot of condensation but offset them to circulate some air.

I then took the trays off the heat mat and removed the lids, placing the trays on a shelving unit in a south facing window.  I taped aluminum foil on the back side of the shelving unit (farthest from windows) to better reflect the sunlight (I crinkled the foil and then flattened it to create facets for a more reflective surface).  Before I added aluminum foil, the plants were getting a bit leggy because they were reading toward the sunlight. 

I've been taking the trays outside for about 30 minutes each week to get them accustomed to sunlight.  I understand that the wind strengthens the trunk of the plant.  After they set their first set of true leaves, I fed them with diluted liquid fertilizer (1/4 strength) which I'll continue to do every 10 days.  Temperatures here in Arkansas have been in the 40-50 degree range.

Best wishes!
farmersgranddaughter
farmersgranddaughter

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  skidmoca 3/12/2018, 8:39 pm

farmersgranddaughter wrote:skidmoca, I placed 6-cell trays on a heat mat and set the thermostat to 78 degrees F.  Peppers sprouted in one week.  I kept the lids on for a couple of days even though there was a lot of condensation but offset them to circulate some air.

I then took the trays off the heat mat and removed the lids, placing the trays on a shelving unit in a south facing window.  I taped aluminum foil on the back side of the shelving unit (farthest from windows) to better reflect the sunlight (I crinkled the foil and then flattened it to create facets for a more reflective surface).  Before I added aluminum foil, the plants were getting a bit leggy because they were reading toward the sunlight. 

I've been taking the trays outside for about 30 minutes each week to get them accustomed to sunlight.  I understand that the wind strengthens the trunk of the plant.  After they set their first set of true leaves, I fed them with diluted liquid fertilizer (1/4 strength) which I'll continue to do every 10 days.  Temperatures here in Arkansas have been in the 40-50 degree range.

Best wishes!
I think your tip about 6-cell trays is good.  The tray I have holds around 36 pellets and doesn't really fit well in the bottom tray.  I think that I may cut it so that I can plant seeds with similar germination time in a smaller tray so that it can be removed.  At what point do you replant seedlings to a bigger pot, or don't you do that?  I'm going to start a few lima bean seeds tonight along with some green beans and green onions (scallions).  Hoping to do some succession planting with them.  Not sure of the spelling but think you know what I mean.

cs
skidmoca
skidmoca

Back to top Go down

Post  farmersgranddaughter 3/12/2018, 9:41 pm

skidmoca, I'll transplant the pepper plants after they have two sets of true leaves (in addition to the set they developed when they sprouted).  I planted two seeds per cell and cut the stem of the weakest plant, leaving one plant per cell.  I'll transplant them into styrofoam cups or Solo cups (depending on what I have on hand), making holes in the bottoms of the cups so that I can continue to water from the bottom.  I should be able to keep the seedlings in the cups until I'm ready to transplant them into the SFG beds.

I'll seed squash, zucchini, cantaloupe, and watermelon indoors in a week or two.  I'm going to direct sow peas, radishes, spinach, lettuce, and bunching onions next week.  I'm not sure about the weather, so may have to put a covering over the SFG bed if we get another cold wave.

I haven't considered starting lima or green beans indoors.  I'd like to know how that turns out. 

Happy gardening!
farmersgranddaughter
farmersgranddaughter

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? Empty Re: Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? New post farmersgranddaughter Today a

Post  skidmoca 3/12/2018, 9:59 pm

farmersgranddaughter wrote:skidmoca, I'll transplant the pepper plants after they have two sets of true leaves (in addition to the set they developed when they sprouted).  I planted two seeds per cell and cut the stem of the weakest plant, leaving one plant per cell.  I'll transplant them into styrofoam cups or Solo cups (depending on what I have on hand), making holes in the bottoms of the cups so that I can continue to water from the bottom.  I should be able to keep the seedlings in the cups until I'm ready to transplant them into the SFG beds.

I'll seed squash, zucchini, cantaloupe, and watermelon indoors in a week or two.  I'm going to direct sow peas, radishes, spinach, lettuce, and bunching onions next week.  I'm not sure about the weather, so may have to put a covering over the SFG bed if we get another cold wave.

I haven't considered starting lima or green beans indoors.  I'd like to know how that turns out. 

Happy gardening!
No sign of pepper seeds germinating yet, will be a week tomorrow.  But there is still time!  I'm also planning to start canteloupe seeds in a couple of weeks.  Want to grow zucchini too but haven't decided on seed or purchase plant.  Plan to buy tomato plants.  Also plan to direct sow peas and lettuce.  I started half of what I want in green beans so that I can spread out the harvest.  Nice to meet you, I see we are the same age.  Peas - that what got me started with planting vegetables.  I started planting them when my kids were little so that they could pick them and eat them in the garden.  My parents didn't have a vegetable garden that I remember.

Here's to spring!
skidmoca
skidmoca

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/12/2018, 10:08 pm

It varies...gotta wait it out.  I have things that haven’t germinated.  To me?  That is “someone” saying DONT GROW THIS.

Point taken.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? Empty Broccoli

Post  floyd1440 3/26/2018, 7:03 pm

When should I plant my transplants outside. I live in Zone 6. Broccoli
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 3/26/2018, 7:07 pm

floyd1440 wrote:When should I plant my transplants outside. I live in Zone 6. Broccoli

If you look at the planting charts in the back of the ANSFG books it shows that you can plant transplants outdoors about 5 weeks before your last frost date.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 3/26/2018, 7:08 pm

YAY! I was about to give up on my culantro (not cilantro) seeds - it's been about 3 weeks since I planted them and used a heating mat which was suggested.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 3/26/2018, 10:24 pm

Thanks. Using the block method they came up and have their second set of leaves
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down