Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Surigao City, Philippines Toplef10Hello from Surigao City, Philippines 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Surigao City, Philippines I22gcj10Hello from Surigao City, Philippines 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Surigao City, Philippines Toplef10Hello from Surigao City, Philippines 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Surigao City, Philippines I22gcj10Hello from Surigao City, Philippines 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Today at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Today at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Surigao City, Philippines

+4
Dietryin
Chopper
Retired Member 1
jamesmusslewhite
8 posters

Go down

Hello from Surigao City, Philippines Empty Hello from Surigao City, Philippines

Post  jamesmusslewhite 5/17/2010, 8:11 am

I retired and moved with my family to Surigao City which is on the Northern point of the big Island of Mindanao. Our son was accepted to 1st year Caraga Regional Science High School in Surigao City. It is one of the top High Schools in the Philippines. We have lived in the Us for over 24 years and moved just before my son's 14th birthday. We wanted him to attend school here and learn about the
Pinoy culture. My wife and son are both Dual-citizens, and we wanted to be able to enjoy the last few years before he is off to college. It is a good life here. We are blessed

I am a retired Horticulturist/ Agriculturist, Texas Master Gardener, Master Propagator, and Certified Texas Horticulturist; and have been in this field for over 30 years in the Texas Gulf coast region. I am working with the local Agricultural department in coconut, fruit, and vegetable crop production. To help introduce organic compost, planting and fertilization techniques to the local farmers. I will also help them produce natural fertilizers. This will allow local farmers to increase yields and minimize the fertilizer toxicity of their environment. This will help minimize the impact on the mangroves fish breeding grounds and the depleting coral beds. I also want to help start small facilities for Saltwater and fresh water fish production. To maintain fish stocks to be released back into the ecology, which will help the local fishing communities. Such facilities have been successful replenishing game fish in the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast Regions.

We have a 6-1/2 hector (aprox. 18 acres) coconut and rice farm (1,800 Mature Coconut Trees and 2 hectors Rice and Caladium fields) on Dinagat Island which is 45 minutes by boat from Surigao City. The farm has three different fresh water sources, and is very fertile land. It produces 3 copra harvest and 3 rice harvest a year. We also have Mango, papaya, avocado, jack fruit, banana, calamandin, pineapple, sweet potato, cassava, and guava. There are several other varieties of fruits and vegetables. I am trying to fully convert this farm to total Organic using only organic fertilizers and natural compost, plus I am implementing square foot gardening techniques, but have to convert this over to Square Meter Gardening. I am consulting with the Philippines Agriculture Department here in Surigao Del Norte on the applications of these techniques.. I am well acquainted with Square Foot Gardening, having first seen it in Okinawa in 1984. I have designed, built, and maintained these types of gardens for most of my career.
jamesmusslewhite
jamesmusslewhite

Male Posts : 34

http://www.jamesmusslewhite.freeservers.com

Back to top Go down

Hello from Surigao City, Philippines Empty Re: Hello from Surigao City, Philippines

Post  Retired Member 1 5/17/2010, 9:06 am

Welcome! When you have an opportunity, would you post a pic of your square meter garden? I'd love to see it. I hope you will become a regular here as we surely could use your expertise, and perhaps we can be of assistance to you as well. SFG really is a world-wide community.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Hello from Surigao City, Philippines Empty Re: Hello from Surigao City, Philippines

Post  Chopper 5/17/2010, 1:17 pm

Wow. So what are you using the SFG techniques for - your personal garden? And is this something you are sharing with the people in town?

I imagine bugs can be an issue there. How do you deal with that?

Very interesting and I look forward to hearing more from you and your garden.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesmusslewhite 5/17/2010, 2:53 pm

Chopper,

I am using SFG but having to relate everything to the standard metric system which is used here.I am presently working on an 18 acre garden. I am converting to full organics by utilizing organic compost, manure teas, fresh emulsified fish. I plan to earthworm farm, bee Keep, fish farm, and grow organic livestock. My farm will be the standard.

I get to talk to small groups of farmers and instruct them in crop rotation, proper pruning, deep root fertilization, establishing and maintaining a proper compost pile, soil technology, container growing, propagation techniques , grafts, sprayer safety; that is just a few topics that I cover. On Dinagat Island local officials are trying to establish a control group of test subject farmers, to teach how to convert to organics. If successful the program will expand and implemented in Siargao Island and areas around Surigao City. Surigao City is the "Gateway to Mindanao" I want this program to work; because if it works and spreads, then it could eventually effect millions.
jamesmusslewhite
jamesmusslewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/17/2010, 8:25 pm

Very cool. I am not sure what you can possibly get in the way of info from us, but I am certain we can all learn a lot from you. You have taken on a big project, and an important one. Please keep us informed.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dietryin 5/18/2010, 1:19 am

Welcome Hello from Surigao City, Philippines 61949
Dietryin

Female Posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 5/18/2010, 8:19 am

Fantastic, 18 acres! Square Meter Gardening is the norm for you. How much are you planning on using as an SFG? Sounds like a tremendous project!
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Male Posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesmusslewhite 5/18/2010, 9:30 am

the whole farm. I can use it as a working model, displaying all aspects of proper farming techniques, cultivation, organics, and SFG practices. The farm will show that organics in conjunction with knowledge and solid farming/ gardening practices; can increase the quality and quantity of the crops, while enriching the quality of the farmer's lives. Only through example will the local authorities and farmers see that they too can break away from the excessive dependency of commercial fertilizers and pesticides.

I will strive to design and implement these practices over the whole of the 18 acre farm; so as to obtain the proper organic certifications, for all fruits, vegetables, and livestock. I promise I will take photos, and videos of my steps during this process and will share them with your members.
jamesmusslewhite
jamesmusslewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesmusslewhite 11/25/2011, 3:07 am

Sorry that I have not been around for a while. We had to wait for a concrete two-lane road to cut through the upper side of our farm property on Dinagat Island, plus they needed to cut some of our hill property back to help avoid landslides and a dangerously sharp curve in the new road. We are now down to only 12-1/2 acres but had some serious land excavation done on the road side property in exchange. It was a fair trade and the Dinagat Island road engineers and road construction crews were very professional, and the land work done for exchange for our lost property; seems more than a fair exchange for the new upgrade to my property.

We are getting settled in for the yearly Typhoon seasons' rain, and it will then seem like it rains almost nonstop until mid March. That's because it does.

I will be pushing on with an organics and "Square-foot/ square-meter" gardening program. I hope to break ground by April, this will allow the soils to sit and be properly cultivated. The compost will then be applied before next school cycle. I give Caraga Regional Gov. Sol Matugas full credit for having inspired me to do this for her. She understood that Caraga is the most improvised Region in the Philippines, and that such programs could help young Filipinos to learn produce a more enrich and diverse crop while having to potential to greatly increase a small farms' yearly crop production. And that the students Course Studies then would filter out into the heavily agrarian societies of the Provinces. Have presently about 20 little agricultural projects on the fire right now, but it will all have to wait until March. You don't mess with mother nature here on the edge of the ecosystem. Very Happy

I will post some Pics. Sorry have to run....
jamesmusslewhite
jamesmusslewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/25/2011, 9:33 am

Welcome back. Your name came up just last weekend, as we have a forum member now who has a house in the Philippines and friends who are quite active gardeners there. I look forward to seeing your pictures.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 11/26/2011, 10:58 am

Hi James,

Welcome back. I have friends in Palawan who have been trying to garden. The soil in Puerto Princesa City is worthless, but up in the mountains near the native village the grandmother has 3 farms that grow bananas, coconut, and coffee.

My friends had good success with kale, chard and basil. Some limited success with beans and lettuce. All the tomato plants died or didn't flower.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesmusslewhite 11/26/2011, 6:42 pm

Vegetables here are a problem, tomatoes especially. This Spring I am going to setup a raised-bed poly-covered mico-greenhouse 12x50 foot and 7-8 foot at the peak. It will be constructed by building two 50 x4-1/2 foot raised beds, side by side, from hollow block at a height of 1-1/2 to 2 foot in height. Then I will use 4"x4" poles layed sideways on the top outer two sides the full 50 foot length. I then at a depth of 2-1/2"-3" drive 60d galvanize pole spike nails at 2 foot intervals. These act as supports for the green house ribs. Take 20 foot standard PVC 3/4" water pipe and bow and stick the PVC pipe over the 60d spikes every 2 feet. This is important" you must run a 50 foot strip of chicken wire down the length on top of the crown of the PVC ribs. This is so thin wire can be used to twist each rib in place at 2 foot intervals. This to prevent ribs from separating and causing heavy water collection on the covering poly which can cause damage, collapse, inconvenience, and repair expenses. then store bought 20x100 foot 6 mil rolled poly plastic works great as a greenhouse covering. This will help me grow delicate vegetation and tomatoes even through the heavy 4 month rain season.

I will build up my soils through organic composting and will properly sterilize the soils used in the tomato house, I want to see if by restriction of human access, soil sterilization, and tight sound controls and procedures; if it is possible to grow varieties of tomatoes common in the States. There is a blight here that decimates all but only a few small-fruit tomatoe varities that are usally grown here by local farms. I miss the "Beef Steak" and "Big Boy" varieties when cooking or having sandwiches. Here they can grow an Avocado the size of a softball but a tomato only the size of a golf ball.
jamesmusslewhite
jamesmusslewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/27/2011, 7:51 am

I wish you success in your tomato project and of course success in every aspect of what you are trying to do.

I hope you do have a little time to keep us updated, as I find it fascinating. It will do so much for the local people.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down