Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Comfrey Toplef10Comfrey 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Comfrey I22gcj10Comfrey 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Comfrey Toplef10Comfrey 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Comfrey I22gcj10Comfrey 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Comfrey

+3
sanderson
littlejo
SQWIB
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Comfrey Empty Comfrey

Post  SQWIB 1/3/2018, 10:21 am

I know this thread is for seeds but couldn't find a thread for cuttings

Does anyone have any Comfrey Cuttings they are willing to trade for some seeds?
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Comfrey Empty Comfrey and Snow!

Post  littlejo 1/3/2018, 2:56 pm

I would be happy to send some comfrey (roots of this are best to send) but, I will have to wait til it quits snowing! Yes, its snowing in the Charleston area.
My comfrey was still green and growing yesterday. It does well in frost. I cut leaves and put around plants that may need a little boost, and it makes a very good compost ingredient.
It's supposed to be in the 60's next week, so maybe then.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Comfrey Empty Re: Comfrey

Post  SQWIB 1/3/2018, 3:42 pm

littlejo wrote:I would be happy to send some comfrey (roots of this are best to send) but, I will have to wait til it quits snowing! Yes, its snowing in the Charleston area.
My comfrey was still green and growing yesterday. It does well in frost. I cut leaves and put around plants that may need a little boost, and it makes a very good compost ingredient.
It's supposed to be in the 60's next week, so maybe then.
Jo

Wow, that would be great, Let me know about some type of reimbursement and it's No rush, I guess I can put it under my grow lights till spring. Do you know what cultivar it is. I'm a little nervous bringing in a True Comfrey.
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 1/3/2018, 5:48 pm

I'm not sure of the name, I used to have both but 1 died off. This 1 blooms a lot, but does not propagate by setting seeds, etc. More plants may grow form the roots, but you can always give them away!
1 note: comfrey does not do too good in SFG because it sends it's roots deep to collect nutrients for the leaves(fertilizer)
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  SQWIB 1/5/2018, 4:20 pm

littlejo wrote:I'm not sure of the name, I used to have both but 1 died off. This 1 blooms a lot, but does not propagate by setting seeds, etc. More plants may grow form the roots, but you can always give them away!
1 note: comfrey does not do too good in SFG because it sends it's roots deep to collect nutrients for the leaves(fertilizer)
Jo

Thank-you. This is not for a SFG these will be planted ground level around my yard. I have 4 spots that I want to fill in with something and figured comfrey would be perfect.
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 1/5/2018, 7:24 pm

The comfrey has a pretty blue flower.
Will check on the confrey , my strawberries, and other winter growers as soon as the snow melts, maybe Monday.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/17/2018, 7:29 pm

Someone sent me some comfrey seeds (terrible record keeping) and they have sprouted!  I will plant them in pots.  How big do they get?  Will 2 fit in a 10 or 12" pot.  Or do they each need their own pot?  Thank you in advance. Comfrey Comfre10

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 3/17/2018, 8:17 pm

Sanderson,
I did not send you the seeds, but I'll see if I can answer. Comfrey  has a long taproot after it gets full grown. That makes it able to draw nutrients from deep in ground and put in leaves. I suppose 1 per pot til bigger, then it could be put in ground, it will winter over very well. Mine was still green when it snowed, and already has blossoms on 1.
They grow real fast.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/17/2018, 8:21 pm

Thanks

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SQWIB 6/22/2018, 7:14 am

Shout out to Littlejo for sharing some Comfrey, thanks again, it's now the turtles favorite spot.

Comfrey 41140179080_d22a4de82a_b

Comfrey 42901277332_d4b48ccc37_c
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/22/2018, 12:22 pm

sanderson wrote:Someone sent me some comfrey seeds (terrible record keeping) and they have sprouted!  I will plant them in pots.  How big do they get?  Will 2 fit in a 10 or 12" pot.  Or do they each need their own pot?  Thank you in advance. Comfrey Comfre10

Comfrey grows up to three feet tall.  When starting to grow in the spring, it can be cut right down and the leaves are good for the compost pile with all those nutrients  from deep in the ground. It regrows quickly.  I have had access to a dozen comfrey plants just down the road from me and usually I harvest twice, then let them grow to flower and seed. The plants are on city property, that strip of land fronting houses that the householder has right of way so as to gain access to his/her property. 

Unfortunately for me, the hose that is above the property has been sold and the new occupant is stripping all the wild vegetation on this land and is going to make it well-groomed and pretty. so there will go "my" comfrey.  I must go and check on the wild part of my garden and see if the comfrey I planted there has survived.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 6/22/2018, 8:21 pm

I'm intrigued to try comfry but a bit cautious given my recent experience with borage. I wanted borage.  Tried to grow borage. I failed.  Then...  Borage grew.  I let it grow. Into a big bold plant four feet high and six feet in diameter.

I took seeds and transpalneted where I wanted them, they're growing. Ive also been pulling borage out of my SFG every week.  And pulling from by the compost.  And pulling it from the lawn.  And pulling it every where I walked when carrying the cuttings to the compost or going to make the cuts.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/12/2018, 5:22 pm

No_Such_Reality wrote:I'm intrigued to try comfry but a bit cautious given my recent experience with borage. I wanted borage.  Tried to grow borage. I failed.  Then...  Borage grew.  I let it grow. Into a big bold plant four feet high and six feet in diameter.

I have had similar experience with Comfrey that you describe with its cousin, Borage.  I have it growing in a fence row of what used to be a pasture for cattle we raised. It has spread several feet on each side of the fence, and is controlled only by regular mowing. The good thing about it, though, is that it is great for Compost Starter and for making Comfrey Tea fertilizer which the peppers and tomatoes love. I originally thought that if I kept it cut down so that it did not go to seed it would not spread. Not so, it spreads by root very fast. Another benefit of it, though, is that the deer can't stand it and won't jump over the fence into our garden area as long as that comfrey is there. Very Happy

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/17/2019, 1:58 pm

I am looking for some Russian Comfrey Bocking 14 root pieces. The flowers from the Russian Comfrey are supposed to be sterile and will not spread like Common Comfrey does.  I want to start a batch of them along the property line in the front yard as both decorative plants, and for the leaves to use in compost.  I found several sites that sell the crown and roots, but they all seem pretty expensive.

Anyone have Russian Comfrey Bocking 14 plants to verify they do not spread wildly?  If so, would you be willing to share some root pieces.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/17/2019, 3:40 pm

I commented on this thread over a year ago (the page previous to this, and as it was too early in the year I lost the opportunity to take some roots. they were beautiful plants and as I said, I harvested then twice before letting them go to seed. It was some years before I found out, via this forum, that they were Russian Comfrey.  they were handsome plants, and after cutting to ground lever after the harvesting, they recovered well and grew very quickly.  They have lots of goodness in them.

The Duplex being built above them are getting to the finishing stage, but alas all the forecourt (that actually belongs to the city, was dug up several feet deep to give a level entrance to the two garages.  All the topsoil  was take away so I am sure there will be no more Comfrey. Last year at the Farmers' Market one stallholder was selling ointment that contained comfrey but I was not able to give her any roots that she wanted.

Missed opportunity for me.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/18/2019, 6:07 pm

OhioGardener wrote:I am looking for some Russian Comfrey Bocking 14 root pieces. The flowers from the Russian Comfrey are supposed to be sterile and will not spread like Common Comfrey does.  I want to start a batch of them along the property line in the front yard as both decorative plants, and for the leaves to use in compost.  I found several sites that sell the crown and roots, but they all seem pretty expensive.

Anyone have Russian Comfrey Bocking 14 plants to verify they do not spread wildly?  If so, would you be willing to share some root pieces.
I seem to remember that  Bocking 14  was defined  by the Henry  Double Day foundation, due to being the 14 sample they were trialing .. can't remember where the name Bocking came from but it might be the name of the place where the institute  was situated .

It is not invasive and does flower , our plants... 3 foot apart  gave forth sort of half lilcac to blue colours giving around 150 flowers per plant each being about three quarters an inch across by three quarters deep . 
I tried to grow some of their seeds but none took . Propagating a chip of root from near the crown the size of a thumb nail with a growth node onit is the easiest  way to get it to reproduce .  
 Slips keep well in damp peat or well damp  paper towels in a heat sealed food bag in a small strong carton for almost a week in the postal system  & will still grow so long as they haven't been exposed to excessive heat .  I know that because that's how I got mine from a friend up in Scotland .

Honey bees love them so do most nectar drinking insects , butterflies  & moths  as it has a long flowering season . 

Till last year we had nine plants along out front garden wall . They reached about 3 foot tall with a spread of the same size . ( I purposely weed killed them when I killed off the old lawn for re- seeding in September last year ) .

I'm not sure that Russian variety you mention is quite the same thing & I'm too lazy to read " The history of Comfrey"  that I have on my Kindle to find out as it has several hundred pages to plough through find out . Embarassed
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/21/2019, 4:02 am

I'm glad this post was bumped to remind me to start some comfrey seeds. The seeds I received last year were viable but life got in the way from nurturing the starts.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/28/2019, 2:53 pm

A friend sent me 5 little pieces of Comfrey Bocking 14 roots, each one was about 1" long and didn't look like anything that would grow. He assured me they would grow, but it might take them a while to get started. Since our ground is too dry and hard to plant anything this time of year, I decided to start them in pots and then transplant them outdoors this fall when the rain starts again.

And, grow they did! I put them about 2" deep in 6" pots filled with the same potting soil I use to start seeds in the spring, and kept them watered.  Now, just over a month later I have 5 healthy looking plants. They already have roots coming out the bottom of the pots, so not sure if they can wait until fall for transplanting.

The Bocking 14, as noted in posts above, has sterile seeds, and does not become invasive like the original Comfrey.  The rate at which these plants are growing, next summer I will probably be able to share root cuttings from them.

Comfrey Comfre10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/31/2019, 11:25 am

OG, I think myself that when roots start coming trhough the bottom of the pot they should go into the next larger pot to continue the good work.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/1/2019, 6:15 pm

Up date on the Bocking 14.

For a couple of years I've been cutting it back every three or four weeks , dropping the cut into the compositing bins 

Late last year I used some of this compost that was made several years ago to enrich some veg beds as well as the flower beds . I also used some supposedly quality organic soil enhancer with mixed manures 

This morning I have discovered that there must have been viable seeds or parts with root nodes in the compost or the enhancer for I've got a couple of dozen baby comfrey two inches to six inches tall in several of my raised beds  including two of the raise veg beds  

I'm going to weed kill them off tomorrow if it stays dry for I daren't risk pulling them out and leaving viable bits behind in the beds for it to emerge with a vengeance in future years  or when I'm on holiday
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/2/2019, 9:00 am

Very interesting, Plantoid.  Since Comfrey Bocking 14 is sterile, and doesn't spread by seed, I wonder how they started in the beds?  One thing I learned about Comfrey is that when I use the leaves for mulch I make sure I don't include the stems. If the leaves & stems are cut off near the plant and then laid on the soil for mulch, the end of the stems will sprout roots and start growing a new plant.  But, if I remove the stem before laying the leaf on the soil for mulch, they don't start roots.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/2/2019, 12:53 pm

That's interesting OhioG, no doubt it applies to other plants.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/4/2019, 2:52 pm

Ohio gardener  , Thanks for the insight about leaf stem propagation .

I think the seeds came in with the " bagged compost"  for there hasn't been any of my comfrey leaves put directly in/on the beds ..they always went into the Dalek composters as part of the varied materials mix for a good compost . The resulting compost was not used for thee or more years 

Dave
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/4/2019, 5:27 pm

Today I cut the Comfrey and mulched the tomato plants with the cut leaves. Next year I need to double the number of Comfrey plants I have so that there will be more mulch & compost available.

Comfrey Comfre12

Comfrey Comfre11

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/12/2019, 9:12 pm

OhioGardener wrote:A friend sent me 5 little pieces of Comfrey Bocking 14 roots, each one was about 1" long and didn't look like anything that would grow. He assured me they would grow, but it might take them a while to get started. Since our ground is too dry and hard to plant anything this time of year, I decided to start them in pots and then transplant them outdoors this fall when the rain starts again.

And, grow they did! I put them about 2" deep in 6" pots filled with the same potting soil I use to start seeds in the spring, and kept them watered.  Now, just over a month later I have 5 healthy looking plants. They already have roots coming out the bottom of the pots, so not sure if they can wait until fall for transplanting.

The Bocking 14, as noted in posts above, has sterile seeds, and does not become invasive like the original Comfrey.  The rate at which these plants are growing, next summer I will probably be able to share root cuttings from them.

Comfrey Comfre10

An update to the above post - Since the plants were getting too big for the 6" pots the Comfrey root cuttings were in, I decided to go ahead and plant them in their permanent location in spite of the very dry spell we have been having. I amended the Ohio clay soil with some compost, and then transplanted them into the soil. They don't seem to have minded the dry soil conditions, and have more than doubled in size since they were planted on the 2nd of August. They should be well established to survive the winter months.

Comfrey Comfre13

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next