Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+18
farmersgranddaughter
BlackjackWidow
Scorpio Rising
Yardslave
sanderson
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
Nakajimaa
yolos
AtlantaMarie
No_Such_Reality
Robbomb116
Mellen
has55
BeetlesPerSqFt
CapeCoddess
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Turan
22 posters

Page 16 of 22 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  Yardslave 6/19/2018, 11:14 am

Been entertaining thoughts of cutting off the water on my lawn- water's no longer cheap (or available). This is the last year for my rose beds- 15 plants that aren't too thirsty, but I'd feel better if the water went to the veggies-and not have to use an eyedropper to water the veggies.The water company survey of lawns in the area claim that the average water demand for lawns equals 3 times the same volume as an swimming pool. Last month's water bill went up by $100 by my using .1% more water than the tier level I used last month (this caused the bill to jump to the next tier rate, which equals a bonus round for the water company).
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  countrynaturals 6/19/2018, 12:15 pm

Yardslave wrote:Been entertaining thoughts of cutting off the water on my lawn- water's no longer cheap (or available). This is the last year for my rose beds- 15 plants that aren't too thirsty, but I'd feel better if the water went to the veggies-and not have to use an eyedropper to water the veggies.The water company survey of lawns in the area claim that the average water demand for lawns equals 3 times the same volume as an swimming pool. Last month's water bill went up by $100 by my using .1% more water than the tier level I used last month (this caused the bill to jump to the next tier rate, which equals a bonus round for the water company).
Our water bill is $99 already, and summer hasn't even started, yet. We're probably looking at twice that for July-Sep.  Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/19/2018, 8:08 pm

Catching up on your posts, NoCal & Coastals!  You guys have so many different but similar struggles that we do...it was nice to catch up.  

It is very heartening to read about the drought issues, which continue.  Honestly, I am not a fan of grass.  But yeah, my yard would look really bad without it.  I am the sole taker.  But I can’t imagine having the yard affected like those pics.   I am not sure how I would go?  I might just go full rocks and succulents....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 6/19/2018, 11:31 pm

My front yard looks about thr same.  For me its a combination of white grubs and simply not enough water. 

We have a lot of xeriscaping in the neighborhood and i actually replaced all the grass in the hell strip in the spring of '17 with wood chips and mexican fan grass.  Looks good, but requires a suprising amount of tedious hand weeding even though the strip is on drip.

As for the neighborhood xeriscape, then tend to look 'new ' for 6-12 months, then look good for a year then IMHo start to look a bit ratty.  A combination of overgrown, expired, spread too much.  Or you get the mounds of the tree toppered fountain grasses.  Seems like the gardeners know what to do with fescue lawns, flower beds and roses but dont with xeriscape.

As for rocks and succulents, no.  It basically, turns your yard into a big heat sink.  You can do wood chips and succulents.  Mix with fountain grass, lavender, etc.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/20/2018, 1:57 am

No rocks (heat sink), no cacti (depressing), no huge clumps of grass thingies (  Shocked ).  I'm thinking BTE so things will grow.  Green with flowers.  I've been researching for 2 evenings on approved plants and various designs.  One approved tree has to be included.  Oh, edibles can be incorporated!  Very Happy

Here are 4 photos with comments.  I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  But, if I can't have cool, green(ish) grass, I want color, coolness, drip line, lots of wood chips. Actually, I want Mrs. TD to build flower beds for me. Razz

This one is not bad except for the cacti. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Drough10

Not as bad as Las Vegas, more like AZ.  But still depressing for me.  Big Rock, little rock, hot rocks. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Drough12

Too cluttered.  I think it has barberry bushes which have spines. I also imagine weeding could be an issue over time.  We are on a corner and need to keep an open view for drivers.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Drough11

Depressing Las Vegas -type landscaping.  Just shoot me.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Drough13

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/20/2018, 11:39 am

I agree with your taste on those designs.  I keep imagining brushing against or falling into cactus and yucca.  Ok, that is part of camping in the desert, but not for everyday!  I think I would look at Mediterranean plants; different kinds of Rosemary (prostrate versus upright), various Thymnes, and Lavenders. That would make your 'lawn area' a bee/ pollinator haven.  Pomegranate is on xeriscape lists.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Empty Landscaping

Post  countrynaturals 6/20/2018, 12:39 pm

Sanderson wrote:Depressing Las Vegas -type landscaping.  Just shoot me. 

I agree!

We never gave landscaping a thought at our current place. It's just a cottage in the woods, with redwoods, oleanders, and lava rocks in front. From the street, you can hardly tell there's a house here at all.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Oldhou10
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Oldhou11
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Oldhou12
Our new place is something else entirely -- stay tuned!  Shocked
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Empty Drought Landscaping

Post  countrynaturals 6/20/2018, 1:29 pm

AARRGGHH!!!!! I'm glad I decided to split these posts, cuz I just wiggled the laptop and LOST THE WHOLE THING!  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 671790 

Okay, new property landscaping take 2:

Here is the circular drive, with the sad island in the middle.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Circle11

Here are 2 shots of the front of the house. We have plenty of hose connections and sprinkler systems, but can't afford to use them.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Yard111
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Yard211

I think I'll make another post for the back. I'm just a teeny bit paranoid after losing the last post.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Empty cactus

Post  countrynaturals 6/20/2018, 1:38 pm

Here is the cactus garden. It has to go!
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Cactus11

Here is why I still think rocks are the way to go. This sweet, little ground cover flower seems to do best when it's sandwiched between 2 rocks.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Rocksf11

Here's the back slope. We're watering the roses and shrubs, but all the dead stuff in between looks awful.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Back10

The pool is gorgeous, but I don't have a clue what to do with the rest.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Pool10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/20/2018, 1:55 pm

CN,  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 60389  Waiting.

Turan, Here's some more on the list.  I'm afraid all of the back yard bees will stay in the front yard! California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 2636062189

Dusty miller, bee balm, cat mint, Mexican sage, poppy (early spring), lupine, yarrow, bearded iris, carnation family, lilac, rose, phlox, ornamental onion and society garlic, snap dragon, alyssum, chrysanthemum, plumbago, freeway daisy, pansy, verbena, agapanthus.  Then there are the trees, of which one is required for the CA rebate.

CN. thanks for the photos. All my brain can think of is clear the dead stuff, use those rocks as borders / retaining walls for a zillion tons of wood chips. There was aa study by a fire department in either Or or WA that tested different ground covers/mulch for burn properties. Surprisingly, plain wood chips did well.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/20/2018, 2:37 pm

sanderson wrote:... Actually, I want Mrs. TD to build flower beds for me.  Razz

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Drough13

When should we expect to receive our airline tickets?
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/20/2018, 4:10 pm

Sanderson wrote:CN. thanks for the photos. All my brain can think of is clear the dead stuff, use those rocks as borders / retaining walls for a zillion tons of wood chips. There was aa study by a fire department in either Or or WA that tested different ground covers/mulch for burn properties. Surprisingly, plain wood chips did well.

The problem is that the wood chips we get free are ugly.  I'm sure I can get pretty store-bought mulch, but it's expensive (for as much as we'd need). Rocks are still the winner, but so labor-intensive it could take years to get it all done. Ah well, it's a process.  Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/20/2018, 4:29 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
sanderson wrote:... Actually, I want Mrs. TD to build flower beds for me.  Razz

When should we expect to receive our airline tickets?
Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/20/2018, 4:32 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
Sanderson wrote:CN. thanks for the photos. All my brain can think of is clear the dead stuff, use those rocks as borders / retaining walls for a zillion tons of wood chips. There was aa study by a fire department in either Or or WA that tested different ground covers/mulch for burn properties. Surprisingly, plain wood chips did well.

The problem is that the wood chips we get free are ugly.  I'm sure I can get pretty store-bought mulch, but it's expensive (for as much as we'd need). Rocks are still the winner, but so labor-intensive it could take years to get it all done. Ah well, it's a process.  Rolling Eyes
What we did was use ugly first and then top those with pretty chips.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/20/2018, 6:57 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
Here is why I still think rocks are the way to go. This sweet, little ground cover flower seems to do best when it's sandwiched between 2 rocks.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Rocksf11

I was worried about the morning glory there so I went looking to see if it is an invasive.  Nope, looks like the native! http://www.formlainc.com/resources/morning-glory-vs-morning-glory/

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/20/2018, 8:08 pm

Thank you for doing the research Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Empty Morning Glory

Post  countrynaturals 6/21/2018, 12:47 pm

Turan wrote:I was worried about the morning glory there so I went looking to see if it is an invasive.  Nope, looks like the native! http://www.formlainc.com/resources/morning-glory-vs-morning-glory/
Morning Glory was the first thing I thought of, too, but this little guy doesn't have heart-shaped leaves. Then I followed your link, did a search on that variety, and Voila! Calystegia macrostegia leaves are shaped like spearheads, so I trekked back over there with my trusty shooter and verified that we do indeed have California Morning Glories.  thanks , Turan, for setting me straight.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Mornin10

I know what you mean about regular Morning Glories being invasive. In Oregon, they could take down a full-grown blackberry bush without even breaking a sweat.  affraid BTW, these are little bitty guys -- less than half the size of regular Morning Glories.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/21/2018, 1:27 pm

From wikipedia "Calystegia species are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including Bedellia somnulentella (recorded on C. sepium) and Small Angle Shades."

I know that will make you happy, Suz.  Laughing

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/21/2018, 3:04 pm

Turan wrote:From wikipedia "Calystegia species are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including Bedellia somnulentella (recorded on C. sepium) and Small Angle Shades."

I know that will make you happy, Suz.  Laughing
happy turtle
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/21/2018, 3:46 pm

bounce I know who is a happy camper!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/24/2018, 10:16 pm

Raging wildfires. We can see the smoke from 2 of them from our back porch.  Sad  Luckily the wind isn't blowing our way, but summers, here, are getting scarier every year.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/25/2018, 2:59 am

I saw the 2 around Redding on the CAL Fire site. We had brown skies to the north east and I assumed there was a fire in the Valley. Fourth of July is almost here and I expect a few more fire any time now. Shocked

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/28/2018, 3:50 am

I have harvested 3 beautiful yellow squash this summer.  A first for me after 5+ years of SFG. I lightly butter sauteed these 2 for dinner tonight and they were especially mild and slightly sweet. That one eggplant has a long zipper down the inside of the curl. I'm thinking I will bread and saute and freeze the eggplants. The Japanese Millionaire eggplants are like zucchini for some folks. I'm hoping to do some food prepping and freezing tomorrow, including mincing and drying as much of the garlic that I can stand prepping. The hot breezes will dry them fast. I'll post a photo tomorrow. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Harves10

There are 4 cantaloupe growing nicely plus 5 sweet melons. There are more in the melon bed but I have to wait to see if they are properly pollinated. There are 2 little sugar watermelons. The beans continue to produce. The leaves are drying on the bush varieties but little leaves are sprouting at the nodes. The cotton plants are 3" tall, except for the 2 that I had to reseed. The Silver Queen corn is 4-5' tall now. Lots of green tomatoes with 2 early Better Boy tomatoes starting to blush. They have a little BER but that's norm for me with the first tomatoes. Embarassed

CN, I see you have a couple days of 107 and 108*F coming up. What a Face

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackjackWidow 6/28/2018, 10:33 am

Congrats on your yellow squash! I don't want to jinx anything, but zucchini and yellow squash are two that I always seem to do well with here, as long as I can keep the darn SVB away. I absolutely love eggplant, but have never had any success with them and just gave up after three years.

Why have the squash been challenging for you? Or is just that you haven't grown any yellow squash before?
BlackjackWidow
BlackjackWidow

Female Posts : 173

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/28/2018, 12:26 pm

The summer squash never thrived. thinking Aphids, leaf-footed bugs, powdery mildew? We don't have SVB so that is not one of the problems. The leaves dried up, the fruit didn't set. I tried staking vertically and caging. This year one yellow and one zucchini got their own little SFG bed with Mel's Mix. The zucchini leaves dried up but the yellow squash is still alive.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 22 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next