Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+18
farmersgranddaughter
BlackjackWidow
Scorpio Rising
Yardslave
sanderson
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
Nakajimaa
yolos
AtlantaMarie
No_Such_Reality
Robbomb116
Mellen
has55
BeetlesPerSqFt
CapeCoddess
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Turan
22 posters

Page 5 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 22  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  CapeCoddess 8/17/2017, 1:39 pm

Cute! Maybe those cherub lookalikes are from seeds that went into the compost after meal. Are they volunteers?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  countrynaturals 8/17/2017, 2:40 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Cute! Maybe those cherub lookalikes are from seeds that went into the compost after meal.  Are they volunteers?
Nope, planted on purpose, but then they got confused and developed an identity crisis, poor things. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/22/2017, 12:10 pm

Replanted corn. Mulched sweet potatoes. Fought aphids in the asparagus beans. Picked first true "mess" of asparagus beans -- having them for dinner. cheers Gonna mulch the melons next with wood chips under the fruit. By then it will be hot, but I won't care because I'll be on the couch for the rest of the day. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/23/2017, 8:23 pm

I'm starting to get excited about the coming fall garden.  A clean slate is so much fun to work with.  Remove the plants, amend with compost and start setting out the purple cauliflower, broccoli, and other winter veggies!  And, forget where I planted what and mix up the labels!  The bridal tulle was one of the few things I washed and put up this spring, and I will not delay a day like I did last fall. I did get some green caterpillars that were quickly dispatched. I have already removed the corn, torn down all of the Blue Lake pole beans and cleaned their two 1x3 boxes.  The cantaloupe are next.  One of the heat waves knocked the moisture out of the leaves and they never recovered.  The Muncher and Pickling cucumbers whenever they quit producing the nicest harvest I have had in 5 years.  Tomatoes, peppers and the eggplant will be the last.  Sweet potatoes won't be harvested until at least October if not November.  Red potatoes when ever they are ready.  A clean slate is fun.

I have 5 gallons of prepped frozen tomatoes for canning.  The tomato jungle got a good pruning to the point I found ripe tomatoes that I couldn't even see before.  The poor freezer is full of mostly tomatoes, frozen veggies from winter and this summer, and frozen orange juice from late winter. The cookies sheet holds 11 Seal-a-Meal baggies of 2017 mixed red, yellow and orange sliced bell peppers for winter cooking. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 Freeze10

I won't be starting any seedlings until mid September, after a trip up the northern coastline of CA which is more like Oregon than CA, with a stop at the Heirloom Exposition in Santa Rosa. Expect a couple of photos!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/24/2017, 10:33 am

WOW! You make me tired, S. sawing logs
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/24/2017, 10:51 am

Sanderson, it's very exciting to hear & see how well you garden is doing this year. Seems like all the work you've done and everything you've learned has finally come together with big rewards.
cheers
Well done!
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/24/2017, 11:37 am

CN, I make me tired!

CC, thanks

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 8/25/2017, 12:11 am

Congrats!  That's some nice production.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 8/25/2017, 11:14 am

That freezer load puts mine to shame. Good work!
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/25/2017, 11:26 am

Yardslave wrote:That freezer load puts mine to shame. Good work!
Mine rarely make it to the fridge (except for chilling cukes). Nothing ever makes it to the freezer. Maybe next year. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/25/2017, 11:44 am

Absolutely fantastic sanderson!!!

I'm jealous that you can start a Fall/Winter garden and get even more goodies from your SFG.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/26/2017, 12:57 am

Ever write a reply, complete with photos, and forget to send or save draft? Shocked  So here goes another try.

I emptied Tumbler batch #3 this evening after 21 days and I am very happy.  It smells good and the only lumps are actual horse pucks that didn't break up.  Only 101*F at 6:30*F.  Tumbler batch #4 will be built tomorrow after Ken mows the new bedding straw and I cut up five 5-gallon buckets of tonight's haul of culls from the Farmers' Market.  I've already done the Starbuck's puck dance.   happy banana  Expected 104*F tomorrow.   pale  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 Compos17
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 Compos19

Compare to lumpy #2 after 35 days. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 Compos18

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/29/2017, 3:45 am

"Staying Alive" is my theme song right now, both for me and for the plants.  110*F today with the following temps for the first days in Sept.  And, here it is midnight and only down to 91*F. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 Drough16

Look what Suz (Country Naturals) gets the first 6 days of Sept. affraid  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 Drough17

Cantaloupe plants are dead, beans ripped out, tomatoes set a lot of fruit the last few "cool" days and will now just rest until sometime in late Sept when they should have a major revival.  The Muncher cucumbers just keep on producing!  bounce Unbelievable that we have had garden cucumbers all summer instead of store bought.

I built another "pile: in the Lifetime tumbler on Saturday and this morning it reached 160*F.  From now on I will tumble and air out for a bit every day until it gets down to 140-150*F.  We are leaving for a mini vacation on Sept 5 and I want the temps down before we leave.

I ground up the dried cayenne peppers and have new strings drying.  Anyone doing this, remember to scrub your hands and face after grinding hot peppers before rubbing your eyes.  Wink   Harvest to date of sorphum is a tad over one cup.  All said and done, there should be 1 pint of dried/chaffed seeds from this year's experiment.  I wonder if the birds would like the seeds still stuck on the tassels. ??

Sept 5 we should be in Petaluma (just down the road from the Heirloom Exposition in Santa Rosa) so a visit to Baker Creek's Seed Bank is in order. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/29/2017, 10:35 am

Sad Just to make things worse up here, the wind shifted, so now we're breathing and seeing smokey air from the fires up north. Mad Worst summer we've ever had, but the plants are still hanging in there. Shocked Like you, S, we've been eating home-grown cukes all summer. Amazing! Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 8/29/2017, 11:35 am

My cukes died of powdery mildew. The butternuts are putting up alternating fights, one gets wiped out and then revives while the other becomes the target and gets wiped out.

The San Marzano tomatoes have done nothing.  Big plants, little fruit set and the fruit that does set gets picked off by opossums before it ripens.

The over wintered Peppers did nothing this year.  The garden has been having a horrible year.  My one success point seems to be some delicious fuji apples.

With a 97 forecast and what we call humidity, I'm not going to be getting much done.  I need to finish up the retaining wall on the garden bed and then fill.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 8/29/2017, 11:51 am

The most productive thing in the garden this season has been the Have-a-heart trap. So far, I've trapped 18 rats, 5 bunnies, 3 opossums, and 2 voles in my veggie garden. I think the toll should be higher, but the neighbor's cats are also feasting on the rat trapps when they are not using my beds as latrines.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/30/2017, 2:44 am

Shocked Yep, it seems Californians are having a rough summer, one way or another.

YS, Do you think you have so many critters is because of last year's fire + this spring's rain = abundant food and over polpulation, followed by drought and short food supply? They are invading your space for food, water and shelter?

NSR, You are supposed to be in a lovely gardening environment. Sad

CN, heat and smoke, just lovely, NOT

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/30/2017, 9:07 am

S said, "We are leaving for a mini vacation on Sept 5 and I want the temps down before we leave."

thinking

Oh yes, I sense another virtual flyover may be needed. 

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 Default_avion
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 8/30/2017, 11:41 am

S, 
Yes, it seems like we are in one of those feast-or-famine cycles. The fires caused lots of animals to move to safer spots (like my area). and take advantage of  the abundant supply of native vegetation and lots of water. They feasted, reproduced, and stayed until they ate everything nearby, then began invading everyone's gardens. Seems like it's a seven year cycle.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/30/2017, 12:02 pm

trolleydriver wrote:S said, "We are leaving for a mini vacation on Sept 5 and I want the temps down before we leave."
Not gonna happen. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/30/2017, 3:57 pm

We will stay loose regarding the mini-vacation after spending Sept 6 at the Heirloom Exposition in Santa Rosa.  There are several fires up 101 North.  Our original plan was 101 North from Santa Rosa to Eureka.  Day trip to Crescent City and back to Eureka.  Return home from Eureka via H-299, Then shoot south on I-5 to Fresno.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 Default_avion Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/30/2017, 5:57 pm

sanderson wrote:We will stay loose regarding the mini-vacation after spending Sept 6 at the Heirloom Exposition in Santa Rosa.  There are several fires up 101 North.  Our original plan was 101 North from Santa Rosa to Eureka.  Day trip to Crescent City and back to Eureka.  Return home from Eureka via H-299, Then shoot south on I-5 to Fresno.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 Default_avion  Very Happy
Beautiful country and fun places to go. Good luck with the weather and the fires.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/30/2017, 7:52 pm

Have fun!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/1/2017, 2:37 pm

Not veggies but a couple of hot weather flowers.  Close cousin Celosia self seeding out front covered with small butterflies and other flying critters.  They will soon produce hot pink cocks' combs.  Even the white vinca is surviving this horrible summer. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 Flower10

I turned around to go back into the house and here are healthy vincas! California - What are you doing this month? - Page 5 Flower11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/2/2017, 11:21 am

Nice flowers, S. I didn't know vinca came in white. They are sure good little soldiers -- survive just about anything. Very Happy
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 22  Next