Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Time flies when you are having fun Toplef10Time flies when you are having fun 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Time flies when you are having fun I22gcj10Time flies when you are having fun 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Time flies when you are having fun Toplef10Time flies when you are having fun 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Time flies when you are having fun I22gcj10Time flies when you are having fun 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Time flies when you are having fun

3 posters

Go down

Time flies when you are having fun Empty Time flies when you are having fun

Post  dixie 8/22/2017, 12:57 pm

I just checked my profile and I have been on the SFG 7 years!  I've learned a lot, mostly from the forum, and made a lot of changes.  I was really gung ho & wanted MORE.  So instead of 4 x 4 boxes, I had 4 x 12 or 16, whatever length lumber comes in.  There was no way to reach the middle plantings, so I essentially wasted that first season.  Hubby cut those into 3 x 6's, which worked much better.

Since I grow a lot of tomatoes and I live in a hot humid area and prefer heirlooms which are not bred for blight resistance, I now have 16 1 x 6's and 3 3 x 6's. 

For me, advantages of 1 x 6 are many:

Tomatoes:  The 1 x 6's allow plenty of air circulation for the tomatoes.  I have a hose clamp centered at the ends of each box for PVC pipe.  I have PVC frames for the tomatoes and taller frames for squash and cukes.  With the hose clamps, they are movable for crop rotation.  They are also used for carrots, beets or whatever I need to move to a new spot for the year.  Below, the tomato supports are in front, Tromboncino squash with cattle panel support in the back.
Time flies when you are having fun Trombo12

Bush Beans:  It's too humid for beans spaced closer than 2 rows at the outer edges of the bed, 6 per square.  Otherwise, once they get ready to bear, the leaves have already started to mold & rot in the center & by the second & third picking the beans have started to rot.

3 x 6's are for bush squash, turnips, cabbage, onions & leeks.  I also use them for seed beds.

We bought a roll of cattle panel fencing & formed it to fit inside the boxes to keep the cats out when plants are small.  The cattle panel is sturdy enough to keep its shape & remove for storage.  It works to keep out rabbits & turtles too.

One year we bought porch screening to cover the cages for cabbage, but the screen was too dense & didn't let in enough light.  It didn't go to waste, now I have a screened porch on my Pink Paradise studio.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Time flies when you are having fun Empty Re: Time flies when you are having fun

Post  trolleydriver 8/22/2017, 2:05 pm

dixie wrote:I just checked my profile and I have been on the SFG 7 years!  I've learned a lot, mostly from the forum, and made a lot of changes.  I was really gung ho & wanted MORE.  So instead of 4 x 4 boxes, I had 4 x 12 or 16, whatever length lumber comes in.  There was no way to reach the middle plantings, so I essentially wasted that first season.  Hubby cut those into 3 x 6's, which worked much better.

Since I grow a lot of tomatoes and I live in a hot humid area and prefer heirlooms which are not bred for blight resistance, I now have 16 1 x 6's and 3 3 x 6's. 

For me, advantages of 1 x 6 are many:

Tomatoes:  The 1 x 6's allow plenty of air circulation for the tomatoes.  I have a hose clamp centered at the ends of each box for PVC pipe.  I have PVC frames for the tomatoes and taller frames for squash and cukes.  With the hose clamps, they are movable for crop rotation.  They are also used for carrots, beets or whatever I need to move to a new spot for the year.  Below, the tomato supports are in front, Tromboncino squash with cattle panel support in the back.
Time flies when you are having fun Trombo12

Bush Beans:  It's too humid for beans spaced closer than 2 rows at the outer edges of the bed, 6 per square.  Otherwise, once they get ready to bear, the leaves have already started to mold & rot in the center & by the second & third picking the beans have started to rot.

3 x 6's are for bush squash, turnips, cabbage, onions & leeks.  I also use them for seed beds.

We bought a roll of cattle panel fencing & formed it to fit inside the boxes to keep the cats out when plants are small.  The cattle panel is sturdy enough to keep its shape & remove for storage.  It works to keep out rabbits & turtles too.

One year we bought porch screening to cover the cages for cabbage, but the screen was too dense & didn't let in enough light.  It didn't go to waste, now I have a screened porch on my Pink Paradise studio.
Excellent Dixie.  Thanks for sharing.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/23/2017, 8:42 pm

dixie wrote:. .  I had 4 x 12 or 16, whatever length lumber comes in.  There was no way to reach the middle plantings, so I essentially wasted that first season.  Hubby cut those into 3 x 6's, which worked much better.  . . Since I grow a lot of tomatoes and I live in a hot humid area and prefer heirlooms which are not bred for blight resistance, I now have 16 1 x 6's and 3 3 x 6's.
. . .  I have a hose clamp centered at the ends of each box for PVC pipe.  I have PVC frames for the tomatoes and taller frames for squash and cukes.  With the hose clamps, they are movable for crop rotation. . . 
I totally agree that skinny beds are so much easier.  Most of mine are 2'.  The hose clamp is brilliant!!!!!!!  I have been using plumber's tape for the few boxes without interior corner "cup holders" for the 1/2" PVC trellises, but the hose clamps would work even better.  Thank you for the great idea.  Do you simply screw the back of it to the box?  A close up photo of an empty one would be great.  Thanks

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 8/24/2017, 10:56 am

Sanderson, here is a close up.  We got the clamps at lowes in either the electrical or plumbing section.  Just get the size that fits your pipe.  They are screwed to the outside of the box.  Use 2 clamps for stability.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AMERICAN-VALVE-4-Pack-to-1-1-2-in-dia-Galvanized-2-Hole-Pipe-Strap/3223553

Time flies when you are having fun Trombo13                     Time flies when you are having fun Pvc_su11          Time flies when you are having fun Pipe_c11   Time flies when you are having fun Garden10Time flies when you are having fun Squash10

Save

Last edited by dixie on 8/24/2017, 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add text)
dixie
dixie

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/25/2017, 1:40 am

Thank for the photos, Dixie.  I use those on for out-of-the-box trellises. Time flies when you are having fun Trelli11

For most of the beds, I made "cup holders" from 1" PVC, secured with plumber's tape. Time flies when you are having fun Table_14

You said hose clamp at first and I thought they would be great.  Just loosen the screw and slip out the EMT.  This is what I thought you meant.  Razz  https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8560674/00668

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 8/25/2017, 9:58 am

Yeah, I realized I used the wrong term.  Sorry for the confusion.
dixie
dixie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down