Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Question about use of coffee grounds  Toplef10Question about use of coffee grounds  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Question about use of coffee grounds  I22gcj10Question about use of coffee grounds  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Question about use of coffee grounds  Toplef10Question about use of coffee grounds  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Question about use of coffee grounds  I22gcj10Question about use of coffee grounds  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Question about use of coffee grounds

+5
countrynaturals
ChasingAnnie
camprn
SwampTroll
amcon2
9 posters

Go down

Question about use of coffee grounds  Empty Question about use of coffee grounds

Post  amcon2 6/13/2017, 3:48 am

I put coffee grounds in my compost pile but also add it around my tomato plants.  We drink a lot of coffee Shocked so there is always grounds on hand. Is there such a thing as adding too much around the plants that it would have a negative effect?
amcon2
amcon2

Back to top Go down

Question about use of coffee grounds  Empty Re: Question about use of coffee grounds

Post  SwampTroll 6/13/2017, 8:39 am

The issue that comes to mind is every time you're putting grounds around the pot is that you're acidifying the soil a bit.  So if done at too high a frequency you could acidify the soil past the point that the tomatoes like it and they could suffer as a result.

Keep in mind that there are folks on here who have more years of experience gardening than I've been alive.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 141

http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Question about use of coffee grounds  Empty Re: Question about use of coffee grounds

Post  camprn 6/13/2017, 10:44 am

amcon2 wrote:I put coffee grounds in my compost pile but also add it around my tomato plants.  We drink a lot of coffee Shocked so there is always grounds on hand. Is there such a thing as adding too much around the plants that it would have a negative effect?

Not really, I use them for mulch as well as in the compost pile.

SwampTroll wrote:The issue that comes to mind is every time you're putting grounds around the pot is that you're acidifying the soil a bit.  
Keep in mind that there are folks on here who have more years of experience gardening than I've been alive.

used coffee grounds have a relatively neutral pH of around 6.5 after coming out of the auto drip coffee maker. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/ingredients/coffee-grounds-gardening.htm <~~~ click

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Question about use of coffee grounds  WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasingAnnie 6/13/2017, 11:00 am

They've tested pH on grounds and found they have very little effect on pH. I get grounds from Starbucks frequently and I add them to my compost (thought of as a green/Nitrogen), I mix it before planting (quick Nitrogen release with a slow Phosphorus and Potassium release), sometimes make tea out of it, and I also use it as mulch for those dreaded slugs. If you YouTube "one yard revolution slug wars" he has a very interesting video on an experiment he made. I love using free sources in my garden.

Best of luck!
Question about use of coffee grounds  3170584802

Save
ChasingAnnie
ChasingAnnie

Female Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Question about use of coffee grounds  Empty Question about use of coffee grounds

Post  amcon2 6/13/2017, 11:12 am

Thanks for the responses.  I did not know that used grounds would have little effect on the ph. You can always learn something new here! I'm going to continue sprinkling those grounds without worry.
amcon2
amcon2

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/13/2017, 11:36 am

amcon2 wrote:I put coffee grounds in my compost pile but also add it around my tomato plants.  We drink a lot of coffee Shocked so there is always grounds on hand. Is there such a thing as adding too much around the plants that it would have a negative effect?
Do you have roses, azaleas, gardenias, blueberries, redwoods, magnolias, rhodies, hydrangeas? They all love coffee, too.  Very Happy
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/28/2019, 8:41 am

I have seen posts on numerous sites that coffee grounds used on the garden can inhibit seed germination, especially seeds such as lettuce.  I have never experienced this, but wonder what others have observed regarding seed germination & coffee grounds.

I lightly spread coffee grounds over the entire raised bed surfaces to deter the neighborhood cats from using them as their bathroom, and that has been very successful. A few weeks ago I planted lettuce & radish seeds among the coffee grounds, and I planted a little heavier than necessary to ensure a good germination of seeds. It appears that every seed I planted germinated, and yesterday I had to thin both the lettuce & radishes so the plants can develop.  Doesn't appear that the coffee grounds affected the germination rate at all.

Anyone done experiments with the effect of coffee grounds on seed germination?

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/28/2019, 12:35 pm

SwampTroll wrote:Keep in mind that there are folks on here who have more years of experience gardening than I've been alive.
I'll trade ya. Twisted Evil
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 4/28/2019, 3:09 pm

Used coffee grounds are also supposedly a good natural snail/slug repellent/pesticide.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/28/2019, 3:35 pm

ChasingAnnie wrote:They've tested pH on grounds and found they have very little effect on pH. I get grounds from Starbucks frequently and I add them to my compost (thought of as a green/Nitrogen), I mix it before planting (quick Nitrogen release with a slow Phosphorus and Potassium release), sometimes make tea out of it
Anyone else find this ironic? Laughing
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/28/2019, 5:59 pm

No_Such_Reality wrote:Used coffee grounds are also supposedly a good natural snail/slug repellent/pesticide.

I've found that to be not true - the slugs crawl right over the grounds to get to what they want to eat. Would be nice if they did, but they don't bother our slgus at all. Diatomaceous Earth stops them, but coffee grounds don't.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 4/28/2019, 7:10 pm

ralitaco wrote:
ChasingAnnie wrote:They've tested pH on grounds and found they have very little effect on pH. I get grounds from Starbucks frequently and I add them to my compost (thought of as a green/Nitrogen), I mix it before planting (quick Nitrogen release with a slow Phosphorus and Potassium release), sometimes make tea out of it
Anyone else find this ironic? Laughing
darn funny! Ralitaco
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down