Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fall Garden? Toplef10Fall Garden? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fall Garden? I22gcj10Fall Garden? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fall Garden? Toplef10Fall Garden? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fall Garden? I22gcj10Fall Garden? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Fall Garden?

+9
CapeCoddess
yolos
mschaef
MrBooker
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
herblover
BeetlesPerSqFt
newbeone
13 posters

Go down

Fall Garden? Empty Fall Garden?

Post  newbeone 5/2/2017, 2:39 pm

Has anyone started thinking about a Fall Garden? Ok! I know it's not even Summer yet but all of my peas and greens are gone now and it's getting hot down here I just checked 4" down I got a reading of 77* under shade cloth and 2" of straw, so I'm making out my seed order and drawing out the layout of my fall garden.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Fall Garden? Empty Re: Fall Garden?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/2/2017, 4:49 pm

When I plan in the winter, my map has both spring and fall on it. That way I know what fall transplants I have to start before the spring plant is harvested. But you've reminded me I only have a short time left on a free shipping offer, and there were at least some fall kohlrabi seeds I wanted.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 5/3/2017, 10:37 am

My succession planting schedule goes through the whole season, from early spring through fall.  No thinking to be done except varieties.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/3/2017, 1:12 pm

herblover wrote:My succession planting schedule goes through the whole season, from early spring through fall.  No thinking to be done except varieties.
You folks are so well organized. I'm struggling with decisions as to what to plant and where for my Spring planting period. For succession planting I'm trying to figure out what to put in the empty garlic squares after the garlic is harvested.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/3/2017, 5:26 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
herblover wrote:My succession planting schedule goes through the whole season, from early spring through fall.  No thinking to be done except varieties.
You folks are so well organized. I'm struggling with decisions as to what to plant and where for my Spring planting period. For succession planting I'm trying to figure out what to put in the empty garlic squares after the garlic is harvested.
After my garlic I have planned, variously: Rocket, last round of bush Beans, Lettuce, Mustard, an Asian brassica, and my second attempt at (short) fall peas (last year wasn't successful, but I'm not ready to give up quite yet.)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/3/2017, 7:53 pm

newbeone wrote:Has anyone started thinking about a Fall Garden? Ok! I know it's not even Summer yet but all of my peas and greens are gone now and it's getting hot down here I just checked 4" down I got a reading of 77* under shade cloth and 2" of straw, so I'm making out my seed order and drawing out the layout of my fall garden.
Absolutely! My fall/winter garden is far superior to my summer garden, so I'm always on the lookout for more things to plant for over-wintering. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/3/2017, 8:10 pm

Potatoes are the first item on my new list for planting this fall. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 5/4/2017, 3:25 am

countrynaturals wrote:
newbeone wrote:Has anyone started thinking about a Fall Garden? Ok! I know it's not even Summer yet but all of my peas and greens are gone now and it's getting hot down here I just checked 4" down I got a reading of 77* under shade cloth and 2" of straw, so I'm making out my seed order and drawing out the layout of my fall garden.
Absolutely! My fall/winter garden is far superior to my summer garden, so I'm always on the lookout for more things to plant for over-wintering. geek
CN... If you like cabbage, you may want to check out "January King" cabbage. It is said to withstand 18 degree weather.  I grew some last fall for the first time in the hoop house and it did really well.  You'll have to watch your spacing though. They grow really BIG.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/4/2017, 8:59 am

MrBooker wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:
CN... If you like cabbage, you may want to check out "January King" cabbage. It is said to withstand 18 degree weather.  I grew some last fall for the first time in the hoop house and it did really well.  You'll have to watch your spacing though. They grow really BIG.
Love cabbage. I will put January King as the next item on my fall seed list. thanks
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/4/2017, 9:50 pm

I've ordered these varieties for fall:
Zentaur Fodder Beet, Superschmelz Kohlrabi, Brune D'Hiver Lettuce, Landis Winter Lettuce, Petrowski Turnip, Saffron, Pusa Jamuni Radish, and Oxheart Carrot.

I already have seeds for Joan Rutabega, half a dozen other cold-tolerant lettuces, Evans’ Star Winter Arugula, Winter Bloomsdale and Butterflay Spinach, and 4 other fall radishes.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 5/5/2017, 8:12 am

Like others have mention I just wing it. Since I am never too sure how long I will be in one place, love being a military, I just go by what I have on hand at the time. When I make my seed order I normally order everything I want for my garden weather spring/ fall or summer. But now you guys have me thinking about what to start for a fall garden and figuring out when to start the seeds inside.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/5/2017, 10:08 am

I haven't even ordered all seeds for summer much less fall.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/5/2017, 10:52 am

Lettuce, lettuce and more lettuce.  Garlic on Halloween. Also I'm waiting on the spring pac choi to bolt & go to seed so I can plant them for fall. And maybe I'll give spinach another try.  I like to plant daikon for the roots in the fall whereas in the spring I plant it for the pods and seeds.  I'm giving up on fall sugar snap peas...there just isn't enough time in my neck of the woods.

Other than that, most of my spring and summer crops will still be growing well in to fall.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Fall Garden? Empty RE: Fall Garden

Post  newbeone 5/5/2017, 12:39 pm

What difference a day makes I remember when I lived up in zone 4 summer was the time you garden, Winter what ever you planted either died or went hibernation here I can garden through most of the winter with a little protection, I started my seeds in January, But summer everything dies or goes into hibernation and I go for the A/C.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/6/2017, 2:24 am

Yes, hot summers can be brutal on man, beast and our gardens in hot, dry climates. Sun shade, thick mulch, water needed until fall when the bumper crops come in. Then before we know, it's time for the winter garden! Jan and Feb are the only restful months, only having to harvest for dinner! Very Happy Then, March, it's time to start indoor seedlings, and blanch and freeze all those bumper cole crops.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  reynajrainwater 9/19/2017, 11:49 pm

Fall Garden? <a href=Fall Garden? Img_1410" />The beginning of my fall garden. Beans, summer squash, cantaloupe, eggplant, peppers, & tomatoes. I've been keeping it under shade cloth for the last 2 months.
reynajrainwater
reynajrainwater

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/20/2017, 10:06 am

reynajrainwater wrote:Fall Garden? <a href=Fall Garden? Img_1410" />The beginning of my fall garden. Beans, summer squash, cantaloupe, eggplant, peppers, & tomatoes. I've been keeping it under shade cloth for the last 2 months.

Nice!
okay
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/20/2017, 11:17 am

newbeone wrote:What difference a day makes I remember when I lived up in zone 4 summer was the time you garden, Winter what ever you planted either died or went hibernation here I can garden through most of the winter with a little protection, I started my seeds in January, But summer everything dies or goes into hibernation and I go for the A/C.
That's me exactly.  Fall Garden? 3170584802
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/20/2017, 12:44 pm

Here are a few of mine, but they're all for next year. I hope that's okay for this thread, since I'm planting in the fall. Razz

First batch of carrots off to a great start. I'm planting a different variety every week and trying to keep track of how they do. This one is "Short & Sweet."
Fall Garden? Fall-c11

Daikon Radishes. Thanks to TD? for the plastic cup idea. I never got a single one last planting, thanks to my herd of rollie pollies and slugs.
Fall Garden? Fall-d10

Kale! I love you I've doubled my space in the Salad Bar for this wonderful Dwarf Curly Russian? kale. It grows for me all year long. We use it in all of our soups, as a side dish, and as a treat for our rabbit.
Fall Garden? Fall-k10

Sweet 100 tomato. For the next few weeks I'll bring it in and take it out so it can benefit from our perfect days but not be subjected to our cold nights. After daylight savings time go off, It will come in the house and have grow lights and a southern exposure window for the winter. (I'm doing the same with Sun Gold -- wish me luck geek).
Fall Garden? Fall-t10

Here are the rest of my fall starts, including broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, celery, & Pak Choy (from bottom to top).
Fall Garden? Fall-s10

I will probably replant all of the above right on through til the end of October, then move all operations inside for the winter. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 9/20/2017, 4:16 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Here are a few of mine, but they're all for next year. I hope that's okay for this thread, since I'm planting in the fall. Razz

First batch of carrots off to a great start. I'm planting a different variety every week and trying to keep track of how they do. This one is "Short & Sweet."
Fall Garden? Fall-c11

Daikon Radishes. Thanks to TD? for the plastic cup idea. I never got a single one last planting, thanks to my herd of rollie pollies and slugs.
Fall Garden? Fall-d10

Kale! I love you I've doubled my space in the Salad Bar for this wonderful Dwarf Curly Russian? kale. It grows for me all year long. We use it in all of our soups, as a side dish, and as a treat for our rabbit.
Fall Garden? Fall-k10

Sweet 100 tomato. For the next few weeks I'll bring it in and take it out so it can benefit from our perfect days but not be subjected to our cold nights. After daylight savings time go off, It will come in the house and have grow lights and a southern exposure window for the winter. (I'm doing the same with Sun Gold -- wish me luck geek).
Fall Garden? Fall-t10

Here are the rest of my fall starts, including broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, celery, & Pak Choy (from bottom to top).
Fall Garden? Fall-s10

I will probably replant all of the above right on through til the end of October, then move all operations inside for the winter. Cool
I'm very interested in your indoor tomato idea.  Do you know where I can find information on here or good information elsewhere about this?  Sweet 100 are cherry tomatoes correct??
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/20/2017, 5:45 pm

brianj555 wrote:

I'm very interested in your indoor tomato idea.  Do you know where I can find information on here or good information elsewhere about this?  Sweet 100 are cherry tomatoes correct??
"Good information" is scarce because it isn't easy to actually grow veggies inside in the winter. Sad I have only been successful with cherry tomatoes, which these are, and then only when they were started and already producing outside before I brought them in. I have a nice, big south facing window where I garden in the winter. I use grow lights. This year I'm going to try those full-spectrum LED grow lights, but I have yet to find any testimonials from successful gardeners -- only sales pitches from companies selling them. Rolling Eyes

We had a great thread going on this subject, which I will try to find for you. I am determined to grow veggies in the house and greenhouse over the winter, but the odds are definitely against me. Sad

Here's one thread, but I think there's another. I'll keep looking.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18101-grow-lights

Here's the other one.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18576-led-grow-lights-any-advice
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/20/2017, 6:52 pm

Looking good, Reyna and CN!!!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/21/2017, 3:28 am

Fall gardening for me is setting out plants for the winter/spring garden. I am so behind due to life getting in the way, that I haven't even started them, much less have them ready for transplanting by October 1st. Shocked

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/24/2017, 10:57 am

sanderson wrote:Fall gardening for me is setting out plants for the winter/spring garden.  I am so behind due to life getting in the way, that I haven't even started them, much less have them ready for transplanting by October 1st. Shocked
I hate it when life gets in the way of gardening. Fall Garden? 671790 The great part about living where we do is that we still have plenty of time left to get it all done and enjoy our beautiful fall (2nd spring) weather. Fall Garden? 274447
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/24/2017, 4:46 pm

The great thing about California is that we can garden year around.   Summer and winter gardens.  Very Happy

The bad thing about California is that we can garden year around.  No break.   Shocked  I have my seed trays outdoors, hoping they sprout.  Finally some glorious weather, and I am well enough to gently start the summer clean up.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down