Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold Toplef10Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold I22gcj10Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold Toplef10Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold I22gcj10Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold

5 posters

Go down

Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold Empty Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold

Post  Banned Member 4/22/2017, 4:06 pm

Nashville has been blessed with abundant liquid sunshine the last 48 hours.  Our rain gauge for the last two days is pushing 5 inches.

Our yard is a muddy mess and held water all morning and early afternoon.  Our drainage ditches are full to the brim and beginning to flood into the side of the street.

Our old garden with the original square foot methods of 12 inches of highly improved soil is floating in water.

But, our raised beds with the Mel's Mix look like sponges.  They never flooded for a second, and I could go out and plant seeds right now and have no problem.  I might could even transplant the peppers and tomatoes.
Banned Member

Male Posts : 144

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold Empty Re: Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold

Post  sanderson 4/23/2017, 2:47 pm

What a testimony!Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold 3170584802

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold Empty Re: Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/23/2017, 3:34 pm

Mel, he was a genius!  Good for you!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

Back to top Go down

Post  Banned Member 4/23/2017, 5:14 pm

It's now 72 hours, and the rain continues.  The radar shows that it is actually wrapping around and coming back for an encore.

The flat part of our backyard is now a couple inches deep in water.  The Mel's Mix in the raised bed is still just wet, and actually not all that wet 6 inches deep.  I transplanted some banana peppers in there this afternoon and actually felt like I needed to water where the roots were, because it was not all that wet down at the bottom.

The SFG old style with 12 inches of improved soil is now more like 2 inches of soil and 10 inches of compost, and it too is not flooding.  In fact, I transplanted tomatoes and peppers into the old garden in the pouring rain this afternoon.

Here is what our yard looked like an hour ago after we approached 7 inches.

Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold April_10

Here is a picture of some of the banana pepper transplants adjacent to some of the previously transplanted tomatoes.  Forgive the quality of the picture.  It was raining cats and dogs, with a windchill of 48.

Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold Raised10

Here is a picture of Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes transplanted in the old garden with the original improved soil-compost from the first book.

Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold Sweet_10

There is another foot in front reserved for winter squash to hopefully deter critters from the tomatoes.

And, here is the oldest square I have.  This square goes back to the very first year that SFG was on PBS TV.  I put the extra two California Wonder Bell Peppers in two of the squares.  This bed is so rich, you can put a yard stick in this ground when dry, and it will drop 26 inches before hitting an impediment.  We tried bio-intensive gardening in this square with very good results in past years.

Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold Cal_wo10

No sign of flooding in any of the squares--old or new.  The DNR can come stock small-mouth bass and blue gill in about 2 more hours if the rain continues.

The only real issue is that the weeds are laughing at me.  The corn is about 2-3 inches high, and that part of the garden was totally weeded before being planted.  I just pulled a piece of Johnson grass out that was not there last week, and it was about 6 inches high.  It just became some good nitrogen for the next batch of compost.

I am going to go enjoy a large mug of rooibois chai tea and then get in bed with the covers and read, imagining that I am in Yuma, AZ.
Banned Member

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/23/2017, 5:40 pm

That is impressive TNG.  As already mentioned it's a real testimony to the strength of SFG methods.  And wow that is a lot of rain.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/23/2017, 6:31 pm

TNG ,
That first square you started do you have any idea what year it was?

I've tried several times to explain to folks on her about how the soil " builds " after many years of cultivation your statement covers most of it in just a few words .

One of my mentors who taught me some gardening in the late 1950's & onwards ,  Uncle Jack had had the same garden since 1937 .
It was a five year bed rotation system , the fifth bed being heavily manured & left fallow for a year .

When he started it the ground was hard yellow & grey surface clay that turned to a sticky gum in wet periods .  In  1960 he showed me that he could easily dig down to nearly four feet deep before he came to clay again .
 I was gob-smacked ,  thinking just how much earth he'd have to moved to get everything that deep over his quarter acre .
So I did my sums on an old cardboard box & asked him to check the figures  .

He bust out laughing , " I didn't dig it that deep young David " he said , " The worms did it by taking rotting manure  down their holes in winter & summer , the deepest I've ever dug it was a single spades depth " .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Banned Member 4/24/2017, 6:44 am

I started that first square in the late summer or early fall of 1981.  I believe this was the first year the SFG program debuted on PBS.

I came home one Saturday afternoon and plopped down on the sofa to channel surf.  I came across the PBS station probably leaving it there to watch the McLaughlin Group later in the day. 

As a math nerd, when I saw the geometric wonders of Mel's gardens, I knew I had to try it myself, even though the growing season was coming to an end.

I went out and dug a 4 x 4 square next to our patio and then went to a garden center to buy things to improve the soil.  I remember overdoing it and having soil that was about 6 inches above the ground, wondering how I would keep it from washing away.

I planted a fall crop of lettuce, swiss chard, and some other cool weather crops.  It was a long winter that year, and when Spring arrived in 1982, I began digging more squares.  Those 1982 squares are gone now, since we added on to our house in 1984, but that 1981 square is still there.

I later dug three long rectangular areas on a chain length fence, 25 x 2, 20 x 2, and 12 x 2, around the three sides of the fence (fourth side is the house).
Banned Member

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/24/2017, 7:57 am

You must be one of the longest serving /surviving original Square Foot gardeners then .

My FIL introduced me to it in the early 1990's , he started it aged 52 yrs old after watching a repeat of the show on Canadian TV , then buying Mel first book in 1987 .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Banned Member 4/24/2017, 9:00 am

Or, it just means I am as old as dirt.  I love gardening, and I used to get a big kick out of engineering principles, so Mel was preaching to the right choir when I tuned in.

To the optimist, the glass is half-full. 
To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty. 
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hooray, Hooray--The rain has gone away.  There are trees down in the neighborhood, and there are creeks that have escaped their banks, but the SFG looks just fine.
Banned Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/24/2017, 4:10 pm

TNGeezer wrote:Or, it just means I am as old as dirt.  I love gardening, and I used to get a big kick out of engineering principles, so Mel was preaching to the right choir when I tuned in.

To the optimist, the glass is half-full. 
To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty. 
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down