Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's in the bottom of your raised bed? - Page 2 Toplef10What's in the bottom of your raised bed? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's in the bottom of your raised bed? - Page 2 I22gcj10What's in the bottom of your raised bed? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's in the bottom of your raised bed? - Page 2 Toplef10What's in the bottom of your raised bed? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's in the bottom of your raised bed? - Page 2 I22gcj10What's in the bottom of your raised bed? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by arussman Today at 6:08 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's in the bottom of your raised bed?

+19
newbeone
herblover
trolleydriver
Cindy G
No_Such_Reality
Sunsanvil
JohnCalvin
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
Turan
yolos
plantoid
mlpii66
ralitaco
Banned Member
BeetlesPerSqFt
CapeCoddess
llama momma
RC3291
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What's in the bottom of your raised bed? - Page 2 Empty RE: Whats in the bottom of your beds?

Post  newbeone 5/6/2017, 1:47 pm

When I moved my beds I used two layers of cardboard under the bed over my lawn grass, then I covered my walkways also with two layers of cardboard then used woodchips down over the cardboard over my lawn grass, on the edges I only have a single layer and the only thing to come thru that is nut grass. The big reason I don't dig in my back yard is I have a large metal electrical box in the corner of my yard it could be a shocking experience, I know the wires are supposed to be buried deep But.   affraid
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

dalepres likes this post

Back to top Go down

What's in the bottom of your raised bed? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's in the bottom of your raised bed?

Post  funnygroundhog 6/21/2020, 5:44 pm

I'm planing to use 2 layers of concrete block to make my raised bed. I have everything I need for my MM in the top 8" layer, but what should go in the bottom 8" as filler? I have heard/seen suggestions of recycling items - glass and plastic. Is that actually a good suggestion? What about sand? I like the cardboard and clippings suggestions posted in this thread but I don't have almost a yard worth of that stuff.
funnygroundhog
funnygroundhog

Back to top Go down

What's in the bottom of your raised bed? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's in the bottom of your raised bed?

Post  OhioGardener 6/21/2020, 6:11 pm

I would not put non-compostable things such as glass, plastic, or tin, in the bottom of the beds. And, sand would probably not be on my list either since it would allow the water to drain out too fast.  If you can get things such as free wood chips, straw, etc., those will slowly decompose and build good fungi-based soil.

All of my beds are 18" high, and I had to fill 12" in each of them so that there was only 6" left to fill with a good soil mixture.  Some of them are filled with topsoil that I bought from the local bulk mulch place, some are filled with wood to make them hugelkultur beds, and some are filled with excess garden soil that I had available. All of them have worked really well, and in all of them the soil or filler in the bottom has gotten richer and better with age - the earthworms have done a tremendous job of carrying nutrients up and down their tunnels.

With all of the beds, I placed a solid piece of half-inch hardware cloth on the ground, covered that with two layers of cardboard, and then put the raised bed on top and filled it. The half-inch hardware cloth is to keep the gophers and moles from burrowing into the bed, and the cardboard was to kill the grass and weeds in the ground so it would not grow into the bed.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4524

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  funnygroundhog 6/21/2020, 7:23 pm

Thanks, as always!
funnygroundhog
funnygroundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/23/2020, 8:20 pm

My beds are 36 inch deep brick built beds so are different to most folks .

A foot of sharp sand over the drainage hole in bottom of each bed , a foot of well rotted manure , then a foot of well made Mels mix .  Topped up with more Mel's mix three times by the time they had fully settled into quality productive beds .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/24/2020, 7:37 pm

I put about a foot of raked leaves in my legacy beds—they are a foot high.  After a year, that deflated; I added some peat and vermiculite (for volume) along with more compost.  Worked beautifully!  Still is!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8719

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 6/25/2020, 7:04 pm

The bottoms of my beds are lined with 1/4" hardware cloth, Mel's mix and gallons of sweat.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

funnygroundhog and dalepres like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/2/2020, 10:59 pm

However, the bottoms of my beds are open to the dirt.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8719

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/3/2020, 6:58 am

FGH, Generally recommended for tall, solid beds are washed sand for the lower part and 6-7" of Mel's Mix on the top.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/4/2020, 6:04 am

Smile  Just had a true thought that goes with this thread. " My feet are at the bottom of my raised bed " it's raised up on six times nine inch " Elephants Feet because I've got a bust up spine  Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/4/2020, 11:54 am

First, the beds are a foot deep to help retain moisture from excess sunlight.  Every year or every other year I remove the bottom half and re-stuff it with old llama manure and straw.  This also brings a nice worm community to the beds.  Then put 6 inches of Mel's mix back over the top.  I find this to be quite a potent mix.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 7/4/2020, 1:07 pm

LM,

I'm still looking for a new source of llama beans here in Central Oregon.  Not to mention mint compost.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/5/2020, 5:19 am

Hi Donna, hope you find some.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 7/5/2020, 1:13 pm

Thanks, LM.

I've found a potential source of mint compost, but it's 2-hour, 45 minute trip from here, and being in a high-risk category or two, travel is pretty much out of the question for now.

I expect that I'll find a local source of llama beans eventually.  Meanwhile, I can't seem to make sufficient compost to feed my SFG properly.  Luckily, I have found a variety of composts that pretty much suffice.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2