Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS! Toplef10Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS! I22gcj10Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS! Toplef10Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS! I22gcj10Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS!

5 posters

Go down

Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS! Empty Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS!

Post  dstack 2/20/2017, 12:28 pm

Unless you’re a newbie, you’re most likely aware of my years of struggling with root knot nematodes.  I would love to say that my newly discovered organic methods such as compost tea, wood chip mulch, and crab shell (chitin – pronounced kite-in) have eradicated my nemesis, but I can confidently announce that there’s progress!  Since starting my SFG in 2013, I’ve been solarizing every summer. 

Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS! 13641288_10208595618879511_6497234355320356435_o

Yesterday I discovered tomato plant roots all knotted up with nematodes. Sad  The good news is that by this time previous years I would have found RKN damage in all three of my SFG beds months ago!  The other good news is that I’ve discovered that I now have an army of microbes fighting with me. rock on  To borrow a title of a great book: "Teaming with Microbes", I’m not alone in my fight anymore.  In the coming months I’ll be watching to see how effective compost tea and crab shell chitin is in controlling RKN’s. 

Yesterday after pulling out as many of the infected roots I could find, I worked 4 Tbsp of crab meal to each infected square, and drenched it with my 48 hour brew of CT.  I may leave those squares empty for 4 weeks before replanting.  By the end of May if I still have a problem I’ll solarize the bed.  

One more thought, I've read from the beginning of my research that RKN's thrive in poor soil.  Well, I don't think I had a good grasp of what rich soil was.  The RKN's that I have aren't deterred by all the organic matter, which conflicts with all I've read.  And when I read that they don't do well in rich soil, I thought, "I've been fertilizing... I have NPK..."  Plus, I use plenty of organic matter...COMPOST... in my MM!  My hope is that as I keep enriching my MM with CT, worm castings, chitin, wood chip mulch, kelp meal (which I'm making myself now), etc. that I'll eventually eradicate those suckers with the help of my army of microbes.  Very Happy
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS! Empty Re: Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS!

Post  ralitaco 2/21/2017, 11:41 pm

Good to hear that you are making progress. I need to follow what you have done because I realized that is what I have too.

I found this interesting article from NC State...It suggest planting Rapeseed as a cover crop over the winter and turning it in in the spring
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/22/2017, 1:22 am

dstack wrote: . . kelp meal (which I'm making myself now), . . Very Happy
How do you make your own kelp meal. In CA, the seaweed is large, large stems, leaves and fans. I tried grinding it wet. Tried grinding it dried. Nothing worked.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 2/22/2017, 5:54 am

sanderson wrote:
dstack wrote: . .  kelp meal (which I'm making myself now), . . Very Happy
How do you make your own kelp meal.  In CA, the seaweed is large, large stems, leaves and fans.  I tried grinding it wet.  Tried grinding it dried.  Nothing worked.
Sanderson, are you using a blender or a food processor? I use the Ninja cup. Also, are you buying your kelp, or getting it from the beach? I buy my kelp from an Asian market. I rinse mine off  in case there is salt residue.  Here's the video that got me started with this.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 2/22/2017, 6:02 am

ralitaco wrote:Good to hear that you are making progress. I need to follow what you have done because I realized that is what I have too.

I found this interesting article from NC State...It suggest planting Rapeseed as a cover crop over the winter and turning it in in the spring
Ralitaco, I'll may look into trying that. But I'm surprised to read that RKNs don't like brassicas, because whatever strain of RKN I have here likes most of the brassicas I grow too.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/22/2017, 1:48 pm

Thanks. We gathered the seaweed with which I experimented. I used a "tail-less" meat grinder. Very Happy Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS! Kelp_d10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 9/4/2017, 8:16 pm

Well, I think I found why the one tomato wasn't doing well.  Digging to prep a quick set of bush beans.  Pulled this out from the spot the celery was in before it got too hot.  Not sure if these are from the celery or the tomato.  Bad news I pulled some romaine that wasn't forming head due to heat and their roots showed the same bumps.

Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS! Rootkn10
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 9/4/2017, 8:46 pm

No_Such_Reality wrote:Well, I think I found why the one tomato wasn't doing well.  Digging to prep a quick set of bush beans.  Pulled this out from the spot the celery was in before it got too hot.  Not sure if these are from the celery or the tomato.  Bad news I pulled some romaine that wasn't forming head due to heat and their roots showed the same bumps.

Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS! Rootkn10
Looks all too familiar.  I've had root knot on various lettuce plants, so not surprised about the romaine.  It's never nice to find a RKN infection.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 9/4/2017, 8:56 pm

Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, RKN is an endemic problem in OC getting plenty of coverage and attention.

I think I may be planting marigolds this winter.  http://www.ocregister.com/2015/06/10/plant-marigolds-to-stop-root-knot-nematodes/
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 9/4/2017, 9:08 pm

No_Such_Reality wrote:Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, RKN is an endemic problem in OC getting plenty of coverage and attention.

I think I may be planting marigolds this winter.  http://www.ocregister.com/2015/06/10/plant-marigolds-to-stop-root-knot-nematodes/
I recommend French Marigolds. Some varieties of Marigolds will actually HOST some strains of RKNs, and I've seen it happen in my own garden. I was HORRIFIED!  Then came across an article about it that a professor at the University of Florida sent me which explains this. I wrote about this...

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t17141-myths-vs-facts-marigolds-and-root-knot-nematodes
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/6/2017, 1:15 am

Can lettuce with RKN still be eaten?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 9/6/2017, 7:18 am

sanderson wrote:Can lettuce with RKN still be eaten?
Yes. Anything that has been infected with RKNs (unless it's a root crop like carrots) can be eaten.  The plant just cannot reach it's genetic potential, so the health of the plant will be impacted.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/11/2018, 8:33 am

I stumbled on this old post while doing a search for another topic, and found it interesting. Several years ago I had a problem with RKN in my hoop-house garden (this was before raised beds or SFG), and when I talked with the local extension office about it, the guy recommended applying beneficial nematodes to destroy the destructive nematodes - he said it needed two releases, 3 weeks apart.  I ordered some ScanMask Beneficial Nematodes, stripped the garden of all plants, and sprayed on the beneficial nematodes.  Three weeks later I got the second batch and applied them.  That fall I planted the normal fall crops, and never saw another RKN damaged plant. The carrots were beautiful.

Has anyone else tried Beneficial Nematodes to control RKN?

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down