Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower? Toplef10Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower? I22gcj10Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower? Toplef10Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower? I22gcj10Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

5 posters

Go down

Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower? Empty Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:57 pm

I have big, beautiful broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, and Cauliflower plants that aren't producing yet. Is there something I can do with their leaves? Can they be used like cabbage? Cooked? Raw? Mixed in with kale?geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower? Empty Re: Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  CapeCoddess 12/1/2016, 1:07 pm

Yes to all of that!  Smoothies, too.  I grow broccoli and bs just for the leaves since I can't get them to do much else, but they are usually puny.
Lucky you.  Wish I had big beautiful leaves.... Rolling Eyes  Do you have photos so I can drooling ?
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower? Empty Re: Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  plantoid 12/1/2016, 2:36 pm

On the sprout plant only take the bigger older best quality lower outer leaves , don't take them from the crown of the plant or you'll stunt it .
 Good strong healthy Brussels sprouts plants can easily reach three foot six tall ( 1.1 mtr )

When I was a kid in the 1950's Mum & Dad used to cut the sprouts off the stems from the bottom up , starting a few weeks after the first frosts in the 21 x 21 foot square of sprout plants  .

This carried on even in deepest winter through to March ,  just as cabbage greens became very expensive  due to scarcity after winter & when the spring greens hadn't quite reached a decent enough size to take two for the six of us .

So on Saturday afternoons after Dad got home from work , he'd use a big heavy spade to dig two whole sprout plants up and put them in the shade of the shed on the sunless North side .  During the week Mum would take off the remaining sprouts then use the axe to chop off the whole crown for us to have as a dark cabbage . The stripped stalk & roots were then chopped into 6 inch lengths which we fed to our meat rabbits or the chickens . as fresh greens.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 2:58 pm

plantoid wrote:On the sprout plant only take the bigger older best quality lower outer leaves , don't take them from the crown of the plant or you'll stunt it .
 Good strong healthy Brussels sprouts plants can easily reach three foot six tall ( 1.1 mtr )

When I was a kid in the 1950's Mum & Dad used to cut the sprouts off the stems from the bottom up , starting a few weeks after the first frosts in the 21 x 21 foot square of sprout plants  .

This carried on even in deepest winter through to March ,  just as cabbage greens became very expensive  due to scarcity after winter & when the spring greens hadn't quite reached a decent enough size to take two for the six of us .

So on Saturday afternoons after Dad got home from work , he'd use a big heavy spade to dig two whole sprout plants up and put them in the shade of the shed on the sunless North side .  During the week Mum would take off the remaining sprouts then use the axe to chop off the whole crown for us to have as a dark cabbage . The stripped stalk & roots were then chopped into 6 inch lengths which we fed to our meat rabbits or the chickens . as fresh greens.
Wow! I have yet to see an actual sprout or broccoli head but we will definitely be eating leaves, today. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 3:37 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Yes to all of that!  Smoothies, too.  I grow broccoli and bs just for the leaves since I can't get them to do much else, but they are usually puny.
Lucky you.  Wish I had big beautiful leaves.... Rolling Eyes  Do you have photos so I can  drooling ?
CC
YIKES! I don't know if I have broccoli or Brussels Sprouts. I think it's broccoli so I'll plant more Brussels Sprouts, today.  Embarassed

Broccoli?
Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower? Brocco10

Kale
Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower? Kale311

Cauliflower
Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower? Caulif10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 12/1/2016, 3:46 pm

countrynaturals wrote:I have big, beautiful broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, and Cauliflower plants that aren't producing yet. Is there something I can do with their leaves? Can they be used like cabbage? Cooked? Raw? Mixed in with kale?
I have eaten leaves from my broccoli and cauliflower.  I cut them up thinly and saute them without the stem with garlic or onion.  I don't harvest more than 20% from the growing plant.  Other people use the very large leaves for stuffing with a type of ground meat.
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/2/2016, 3:23 am

Yes!  I like the leaves for cabbage rolls.  Plus, in the spring, or when ever they go to seed in each area, the flowers are so sweet and the bees love them.  One for the bees, one for me. . .

CC, I'll take a photo of the broccoli and cauliflower just for you. Wink

CN, lovely brassicas.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:25 pm

Thanks Sanderson! Very Happy

Didn't realize that you could eat the flowers, too. I mean, I've put them in smoothies but never tasted one. Good to know. Wonder if we can eat radish flowers, too, and if they are spicy...?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/2/2016, 5:14 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
plantoid wrote:On the sprout plant only take the bigger older best quality lower outer leaves , don't take them from the crown of the plant or you'll stunt it .

Wow! I have yet to see an actual sprout or broccoli head but we will definitely be eating leaves, today. Cool

Put ,  "  Brussels sprout tops "  into Google the look in Google images .

The best tops are from the tight spiral plants as they are tighter on spread than a plant that all leggy & sparsely populated with Brussels .

If ever you get seeds that give you 3 foot plus stalks let two run to seed  , for theses days most sprouts are commercial strains with short 2 foot long easily harvested by machinery stalks with not much top .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:27 pm

plantoid wrote: If ever you get seeds that give you 3 foot plus stalks let two run to seed  , for theses days most sprouts are commercial strains with short 2 foot long easily harvested by machinery stalks with not much top .
Good idea

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 8:41 pm

Well, I figured out why I haven't been getting any Brussels sprouts plants. My seeds are from 2012. Embarassed
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

Wink

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum