Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar? Toplef10Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar? I22gcj10Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar? Toplef10Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar? I22gcj10Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

3 posters

Go down

Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar? Empty Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

Post  Zap 10/4/2016, 1:44 pm

Hello,

I'm interested in getting opinions about raised bed gardens, specifically whether anyone has any information and/or opinions about building RBG's from cedar and and preferences on choosing Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

I'm interested in all aspects of the "whys"

Thanks!
Zap
Zap

Back to top Go down

Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar? Empty Re: Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

Post  sanderson 10/4/2016, 5:37 pm

Hi, Zap. Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here Did you read our existing threads on Cedar? Just enter in the Search box. It seems the EWC should be less expensive for you than the WRC. I think most of us use the cheapest wood, usually pine or fir, for our beds. All woods will eventually rot and need replacing. Sad

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar? Empty Re: Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

Post  plantoid 10/5/2016, 4:29 pm

Zap wrote:Hello,

I'm interested in getting opinions about raised bed gardens, specifically whether anyone has any information and/or opinions about building RBG's from cedar and and preferences on choosing Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

Thanks!
 I used to have a lot of 30 year old Western red cedar beehives ( 76 of them ) they sat on stands on the ground made of the same wood . The feet of the stands was well weathered but serviceable on most of them . The wood was not treated with a preservative .
The oldest white cedar wood hives ( 24 of them ) I had were around 16 years old & ready for the bonfire , stands lasted seven or so years before having to be burnt as they had rotted away on the legs at ground contact  in almost every case & that was with them being treated with a bee friendly wood preservative .

I have seen many a 25 year old glasshouse made on WRC wood frame work untreated from the date the were made .

White  Pine on the other hand was at the end of it's life by year 12 or so , again the wood was treated with an undercoated and a gloss paint top coat before the glazing was added .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Zap 10/5/2016, 4:39 pm

plantoid wrote:
Zap wrote:Hello,

Thanks!
 I used to have a lot of 30 year old Western red cedar beehives ( 76 of them ) they sat on stands on the ground made of the same wood . The feet of the stands was well weathered but serviceable on most of them . The wood was not treated with a preservative .
The oldest white cedar wood hives ( 24 of them ) I had were around 16 years old & ready for the bonfire , stands lasted seven or so years before having to be burnt as they had rotted away on the legs at ground contact  in almost every case & that was with them being treated with a bee friendly wood preservative .

I have seen many a 25 year old glasshouse made on WRC wood frame work untreated from the date the were made .

White  Pine on the other hand was at the end of it's life by year 12 or so , again the wood was treated with an undercoated and a gloss paint top coat before the glazing was added .
Did you mean White "Pine" or "Cedar"?  They're not the same thing.
Zap
Zap

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/5/2016, 6:18 pm

I was told those non WRC  hives were White Cedar .

Untreated pine wouldn't have lasted much past seven years as the wood's  cells do not contain any sensible amounts of resins and they are quite open form/spongy .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Zap 10/6/2016, 8:28 am

plantoid wrote:I was told those non WRC  hives were White Cedar .

Untreated pine wouldn't have lasted much past seven years as the wood's  cells do not contain any sensible amounts of resins and they are quite open form/spongy .
Your post said  "white pine" in one place, so I wanted to verify that you simply misspoke.  I wouldn't expect pine to last that long either.
Zap
Zap

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down