Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Old Beds Toplef10Old Beds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Old Beds I22gcj10Old Beds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Old Beds Toplef10Old Beds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Old Beds I22gcj10Old Beds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 12:01 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 12:23 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 10:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 2:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 1:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 11:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 4:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 6:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 8:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 1:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 9:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 9:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 2:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 2:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 3:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 11:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 6:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 9:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 7:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 6:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 4:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 12:19 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/19/2024, 12:22 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 1:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 7:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 9:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 5:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Old Beds

+3
Judy McConnell
Zmoore
ct23yankee
7 posters

Go down

Old Beds Empty Old Beds

Post  ct23yankee 9/6/2016, 8:58 am

I have two raised 4x8 beds.  This is the third year I've gardened in them--without Mel's Mix.  I originally filled them with Miracle Grow organic garden soil, adding a little new soil each year. How can I adjust the current soil to conform to Mel's Mix in preparation for next year's garden?

Years 1 and 2 were good.  This year the bugs arrived with a vengeance.  I recently purchased All New Square Foot Gardening and realize I have a lot to learn.
ct23yankee
ct23yankee

Back to top Go down

Old Beds Empty Re: Old Beds

Post  Zmoore 9/6/2016, 10:59 am

My 2 cents.
This is a tough one for many reasons.  The "hard line" answer would be throw it out and replace with MM if your're trying to get MM Smile  
I looked up Miracle Grow organic garden soil to see if I could figure out what is in it, but all I could find is things like "this product contains at least one of the following: forest products, peat humus, OR compost...".  That's not very helpful.

"Compost, peat, and manure" seem to be popular general reference to ingredients, again not very helpful.  

My 2 cents says, count it as a peat and compost component of MM and with nothing really to go on I'd say 50-50.  Mel's Mix is supposed to be equal parts Compost (5 blend), Peat, and Vermiculite (coarse).  Assuming a 6" deep bed, I'd say mix 2" of what you have (counting it as 1" of peat and 1" compost), then add 1" of peat, 1" of compost, and 2" of vermiculite.  

That's going to leave you with the bulk of the material you have left over, 4" per bed based on my assumptions or roughly 10.5 cubic feet per bed.  You wouldn't happen to have a compost pile would you?  You could blend the left over into a compost heap and then cycle it back into the gardens as compost replacement/refurbishment in the future.

That's almost like starting from scratch and just making pure MM anyway.
Option #2 with the focus of trying to save money or what you've already "invested".  Vermiculite would be my guess for the material you're most lacking based on what I saw for Miracle Grow components.  The second thing I think that would be off (relatively speaking from the aspect of "be like Mel") is a blended compost.  I suspect your compost component is a manure and "forest product" (leaf, wood?) blend.  
So, again assuming 6" depth.  Use 3" of what you have, add 2" of vermiculite, and add an inch of new compost.  Try to find compost that does not have manure or wood base to help increase your "blend".  An inch of compost is only about 2.5 cubic feet over a 4x8 bed.  You can get compost bags of about 1.5 c.f. maybe even 1 c.f.  So, you may be able to get a mix of something in that 1".
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 9/6/2016, 11:13 am

ZMoore - I like your response and will use one of your suggestions for my pre-MM beds (2).
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  ct23yankee 9/6/2016, 11:57 am

ZMoore, thank you so much for your prompt reply.  I'm very grateful for such clear and concise options.  I was so glad to hear that what we have may still be salvageable.  Will certainly give it a try!
ct23yankee
ct23yankee

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/6/2016, 3:04 pm

Hi CT23Yankee! Welcome from Atlanta, GA!

I have to agree w/ ZMoore. Just keep in mind that you can amend slowly. That might be better on the bank account...

You might also look at Jimmy Cee's experiments in microbes. Jimmy - where did you post those?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/6/2016, 5:23 pm

Yankee,  Welcome to the Forum from California!   glad you\'re here

What to add and how much depends.  How deep are your beds?  How deep is the remaining fill?  Do you have weed fabric underneath the fill?  If not, a bit of dirt may have been pulled up into the fill each time you pull spent plants.  Can you post a photo or two of the fill and boxes?

Here are my 2 cents:  There is plenty of peat already, so you don't have to worry about that.  If you have 3-6" of fill and plenty of head room, add a minimum of 1" of vermiculite ( if you did not put weed fabric down) and 2" of mixed composts, stuff that is free of any form of peat and wood.  Wood (forest products) are often used in making commercial compost but the wood should be broken down.  You can screen the bagged composts to remove remaining wood pieces using 1/4" hardware cloth.  "Search" screen or screening for more info.  If you Search compost, there are 300 threads available.  That's probably because Compost is the more important part of MM.  Manure compost, worm castings/vermi-compost, seaweed / kelp, crab / lobster compost, mushroom compost, veggie-based compost, leaf mold, etc.

Here's the microbes thread.  Great reading, especially for winter.  Gets one all excited for spring.  https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t20218-microbes-you-gotta-see-this-one?highlight=microbes

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/6/2016, 11:06 pm

Hey!  Welcome Yankee!  

I am not a math person, but I would be amending with vermiculite and compost.  Really good compost.  And lots.  And start a compost pile! LOL!  

Because your Miracle Gro beds are 2 years out, they are exhausted nutrient-wise.  My guess is (and having used this myself in many containers) this stuff is a one season situation.  After that, you have to help it out.  

So can you take some up close pics of the mix still in there?  Optional.  But might help the more scientific amongst us!  

Again, glad you found us!  Post often!  Check out the regional forums to see where you fit in weather wise!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/7/2016, 1:07 am

glad you\'re here  yankee happy hi 

from Kelejan :canada: in British Columbia

Good to know that you need to know more.  Many of us start with Miracle Grow due to lack of knowledge and the effects of advertising.

I am amazed at some of our gardeners who knew little about gardening to start with and now are producing lots of lovely food.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down