Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! Toplef10yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! I22gcj10yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! Toplef10yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! I22gcj10yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing!

+3
countrynaturals
camprn
kefitzpatrick
7 posters

Go down

yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! Empty yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing!

Post  kefitzpatrick 6/24/2016, 1:23 pm

i'm new to SFG and can't figure out why nothing is growing. we mixed our own mel's mix using organic compost. we live in seattle and have been getting tons of rain. sunlight seems to be at least 6 hours though i will do a shade map on next sunny day. even the kale, which i understand can tolerate partial sun, is not growing. should i bother with soil amendments before i do a shade map? help please!

Last edited by sanderson on 6/25/2016, 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Admin merged 2 topics)
kefitzpatrick
kefitzpatrick

Back to top Go down

yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! Empty yard waste compost- can i amend?

Post  kefitzpatrick 6/24/2016, 2:10 pm

just found out my compost was only yard waste compost, no food scraps either. can i amend the soil or do i need to start all over?? thanks!
kefitzpatrick
kefitzpatrick

Back to top Go down

yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! Empty Re: yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing!

Post  camprn 6/24/2016, 2:12 pm

HI Kef, Welcome to the forum. When you say you mad your own mix with organic compost, what kind of compost did you use? Did you use the recommended 5 different kinds? Also, when you measured your sphagnum peat moss, did you fluff it up and then measure it to be 1/3 of your mix? What exactly isn't growing? and what is doing well? In a few days you should be able to post photos to the forum. Photos are always very helpful in trying to figure out what is going on.

You say you've had plenty of sun, but how warm has it actually been in your area?
http://wine.wsu.edu/research-extension/weather/growing-degree-days/

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! Empty Re: yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing!

Post  countrynaturals 6/24/2016, 2:23 pm

I got off to a rough start because I planted summer crops from seed when the night temps were below 70 degrees. I didn't realize how fussy they were about such things. Now I start everything inside and use a heated pad to keep the soil warm enough for them to germinate. After they sprout, cooler nights are okay.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! Empty nothing's growing

Post  kauairosina 6/24/2016, 3:29 pm

We have had a lot of rain this season and some plants are stunted, especially cukes and squashes.  However, the abundance of water has made the kale and beans and tomatoes go crazy.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/24/2016, 3:42 pm

Is this in the bed where nothing is growing well?

I would suggest getting you hands on some well composted manure and top dress your bed with that. You can mix it all up between your plants if they are small, or just wait to mix it in after the growing season. But yes, you need ore nutrients to get to the plant roots.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/24/2016, 10:48 pm

Hey, Fitz! Is everything seeds, or are there transplants too? Tell us more details. Is it just sitting there? Temperatures? Need the deets, babe! yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/25/2016, 3:01 am

camprn wrote:Is this in the bed where nothing is growing well?

I would suggest getting you hands on some well composted manure and top dress your bed with that. You can mix it all up between your plants if they are small, or just wait to mix it in after the growing season. But yes, you need ore nutrients to get to the plant roots.
Ditto.

I like composted manure as one of the composts. For veggie based composts, try Ecoscraps Compost at Home Depot of Whole Foods's veggie-based compost.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

yard waste compost- can i amend? Nothing is growing! Empty yard waste compost- can i amend?

Post  kefitzpatrick 6/25/2016, 3:05 pm

thanks all for the great advice. temps range from high seventies to low 50's i would say. other nearby gardens are taking off and doing great by comparison. no, i did not fluff the peat moss. should i start all over with new mix? i like the idea of adding composted manure. seems to have enough sunlight....
kefitzpatrick
kefitzpatrick

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/25/2016, 3:41 pm

kefitzpatrick wrote:just found out my compost was only yard waste compost, no food scraps either. can i amend the soil or do i need to start all over?? thanks!
 Yard waste ....yours from your own garden  collected yourself without any weed control hormone treatment being put on the grass/weeds  or from the local authority waste recycling plant where you just don't know what it contains ??
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/26/2016, 12:52 am

Kel do.you have the book, or do you understand how too make the proper growing mix?

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  kefitzpatrick 6/26/2016, 4:51 pm

the yard waste is certified organic compost from a local dirt exchange. i do know how to make the mix. what i want to know is if i can just add to the soil or if i need to start over. i also did not "fluff" the peat so it is too peat-heavy with not the right compost. Sad
kefitzpatrick
kefitzpatrick

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/26/2016, 7:10 pm

I started to write to you last night and the computer froze up. When I started in 2013, I made the Mel's Mix wrong, so you aren't the only one. Right now you have a 2:1:1 Mix. I would remove 2" of mix and add/mix in 2" of mixed composted manure and composted veggie-based. Bags of composted manure are available at HD and Lowes. Veggie based Ecoscraps Compost at Home Depot or Whole Foods carries their own veggie based compost. You can also add a bit of kelp meal and worm castings. Some lucky folks live near the oceans and can add sea weed/kelp to their home made compost piles. Some raise red wiggler worms for their castings, either in worm tubes directly in the beds or in Worm Hilton setups. If it gets frustrating getting things to grow even after adding a good amount of other composts, you can use organic fertilizers such as the Espoma line of products until the Mel's Mix has developed a good colony of microorganisms. Again, you aren't the only one who has faced this situation. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  kefitzpatrick 6/27/2016, 12:06 pm

thank you so much for all your advice! got some worm castings and manure based compost and gonna mix in today. thanks again!
kefitzpatrick
kefitzpatrick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down