Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . . Toplef10Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . . 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . . I22gcj10Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . . 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . . Toplef10Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . . 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . . I22gcj10Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . . 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . .

+2
Shoda
Judge Kemp
6 posters

Go down

Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . . Empty Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . .

Post  Judge Kemp 5/11/2010, 1:17 pm

OK, so I have a couple of 4x4s with my salad veggies (lettuces, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, radishes, onion, kohlrabi and snap peas). Two cuke squares will take a couple of radish spots next week. The other radish spots will get more radishes, carrots and maybe another dose of lettuces.

I just built my last 4x4 and put in a couple of bell peppers, three tomatoes and one brussel sprout. I also put two tomatoes in the salad veggies box.

So, of 16 squares, I\'ve got 6 filled. I\'m putting trellis on the East and North, so can fit 7 climbers. I\'ll put in one more tomato.

Will one brussel sprout give me enough to make it worthwhile or should I go with two? I\'m thinking I\'ll add one more tomato, two melons and maybe one more snap pea. That takes up my trellis space.

In my landscaping boxes, I\'ve got one of sweetcorn, I\'ll have four zucchini and I\'ve got an herb garden already.

So, what is left for my summer box? I\'ll have 6 squares left to plant. I don\'t need more squash (zucchini only for this family) and don\'t eat beans.Assuming I put in a jalapeno and another brussel sprout, that still leaves me with four empty squares!

I am in Zone 5A, Central Iowa.

Last edited by Judge Kemp on 5/11/2010, 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Judge Kemp

Male Posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . . Empty Re: Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . .

Post  Shoda 5/11/2010, 1:19 pm

What zone are you in or what region? It might help us with suggestions!
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . . Empty Re: Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . .

Post  Judge Kemp 5/11/2010, 1:21 pm

Thanks for noting that I missed my zone in the message. I just updated it to show 5A, Central Iowa. I really need to update my profile!
Judge Kemp

Back to top Go down

Post  AFLfan 5/11/2010, 1:27 pm

Maybe eggplant?
AFLfan

Male Posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady 5/11/2010, 1:35 pm

Strawberries? Although it might be too late for those since they're already setting fruit.
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/11/2010, 1:36 pm

Okra!!!! (That is my solution to all or any empty boxes right now) Or blackeyed peas if you like them. I know one brussel sprout plant would not be enough for me. Do you have room on the trellis for melons? Can you even grow melons that far north? Perhaps a baby watermelon or cantaloupe? How about herbs? Oh, it I only had your problem -- all 184 of my squares are full or being taken over by squash.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 5/11/2010, 2:19 pm

We are in California and love to plant basil. The fresh basil leaves are wonderful with sliced tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Maybe a square of some seasonal herb that will eventually die out but will be a nice addition to those summer recipes?
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Gasp! I'm struggling to fill my summer box . . . Empty Herbs?

Post  auntiemommy 5/11/2010, 3:10 pm

Some herbs? Basil, rosemary, parsley all get used a bunch here.

A different type of tomato or pepper plant? I plant cherry tomatoes, sweet 100 tomatoes, roma tomatoes and a couple larger ones. I do two types of sweet bell peppers and a jalepeno pepper.

Pumpkins, watermelon, cantaloupe for the trellis?
A second planting of peas, sugar snap peas or pea pods?
auntiemommy
auntiemommy

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  Judge Kemp 5/11/2010, 4:17 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I do have strawberries in one of my raised beds, though they didn't come up so I'll have to replant.

Melons and peas will be on the trellis for sure, but this year I am keeping it to my 6 different tomato plants--no more for once!

I've got so many raised beds that sit at the base of my retaining wall that I've done a variant of SFG in for years without knowing it was SFG. I decided to plant those mostly with the perennials like strawberries, asparagus, raspberries and my herb garden (may expand that a little). I also added Sweet Corn and zucchini in those this year.

Eggplant is out! I lived in a vegetarian co-op for a year in College and ate eggplant almost every day in every possible dish. No more eggplant!

I'm heading off right now to the FFA Greenhouse for some plants. I'll let everyone know what I came up with! Thanks again for your suggestions. (I'm definitely picking up a couple more brussel sprouts and may try one okra, so that'll take a few more squares).
Judge Kemp

Back to top Go down

Post  Judge Kemp 5/11/2010, 10:16 pm

Well, I picked up several plants at the FFA Greenhouse. High school kids run the whole show--it is great and if anyone lives around Des Moines, I recommend it.

I ended up with:

• "red grape" tomato for my last tomato spot.
  • cantaloupes for two squares
  • pepperoncini peppers
  • pumpkin--for a bag of soil I plan to try and plant it in next to the house.
  • brussel sprouts for a couple of squares
  • red lettuce (one plant to replace some die-offs)
  • swiss chard (one plant to replace one that never came up)
  • Thai Basil
I also bought several perennials for the front, including some flowering herbs.
Judge Kemp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down