Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trellising zucchini and summer squash Toplef10Trellising zucchini and summer squash 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trellising zucchini and summer squash I22gcj10Trellising zucchini and summer squash 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trellising zucchini and summer squash Toplef10Trellising zucchini and summer squash 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trellising zucchini and summer squash I22gcj10Trellising zucchini and summer squash 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Trellising zucchini and summer squash

+8
sanderson
CapeCoddess
AtlantaMarie
CitizenKate
Scorpio Rising
camprn
Kelejan
seamammal
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Trellising zucchini and summer squash Empty Trellising zucchini and summer squash

Post  seamammal 2/29/2016, 5:13 pm

I read in the SFG book that you can trellis squash. I have tried it with winter and it works well but could not get the summer ans zucchini figured out. Has anyone done this successfully. If so, what's the secret. We have been in the hi 70's and 80's for several weeks now and I am going to get my seeds planted so need to decide where to locate my plants. Thanks.
seamammal
seamammal

Male Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Trellising zucchini and summer squash Empty Re: Trellising zucchini and summer squash

Post  Kelejan 3/3/2016, 12:15 am

Can anyone give seamammal an answer on this question?

I have not done anything like this myself.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Trellising zucchini and summer squash Empty Re: Trellising zucchini and summer squash

Post  camprn 3/3/2016, 6:34 am

There are some older threads that address the question . But in a nut shell, zuke and summer squash are not vines like beans or peas. They can be staked, and trellises after a fashion with a lot of hands on management.and pruning of the large leaves that are behind any fruits.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Trellising zucchini and summer squash WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/3/2016, 6:27 pm

I have never trellised anything that isn't a vine, sorry, seamammal. I couldn't really find anything showing how people manage it either....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/3/2016, 11:55 pm

I've been wondering the same thing.  My squash plants really sprawled out last year and got out of control - out of the bed, into the grass (where I could no longer mow).
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/4/2016, 8:19 am

How about using a tomato cage?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/4/2016, 11:01 am

I trellised a patty pan one year. Like Camp says, I removed the lower leaves as it grew and wound it thru the 4" trellis netting. I won't do it again since squash leaves bite me.
Sad
There's a video on youtube where a guy is staking a bunch of them and shows you how to do it. I think that would be the way to go if you want to play with squash plants. I don't.

This isn't his first vid, just an update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2mGGEQw3b4

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/4/2016, 1:14 pm

Three of my attempts at trellising summer squash. Leave the leaf stem immediately below the fruit. I don't think it works in my summer heat like the guy in a England YouTube video where the climate is less dessert-like. I think the broad leaf canopy provides shade.
Trellising zucchini and summer squash Vert_s10
Trellising zucchini and summer squash Vertic10
Trellising zucchini and summer squash 100_6110

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/26/2016, 1:13 am

Unfortunately, I can't help with the answer either, but it raised a question for me.
Is there a vining variety of zucchini? 
Isn't yellow squash a vining plant?
If not, what veggies would be similar that will vine that can be planted now or early summer?

Thanks,
Jim
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/26/2016, 2:30 am

ralitaco wrote:Unfortunately, I can't help with the answer either, but it raised a question for me.
Is there a vining variety of zucchini? 
Isn't yellow squash a vining plant?
If not, what veggies would be similar that will vine that can be planted now or early summer?

Thanks,
Jim
No, yellow squash is not a vining plant.  I have not heard of a vining variety of Zucchini.  Someone on this site grew Tromboncino Squash.  They said the neck was very much like summer squash/zucchini.  It is vining.  If left to mature, it can be a winter squash and will store for quite awhile.  I have a spot all picked out for this summer for the Tromboncino Squash.  It is a C. Moschata variety so should be able to withstand the dreaded Squash Vine Borer (I hope).
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/26/2016, 7:53 am

I put 3 patty pans in a 6 foot x 18 box last summer....way too much squash for us to eat, and they went everywhere. I will be down to 1, maybe 2 and thinking about where to put them. Their little hairs bite me, too, CC, I wouldn't want to handle them.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/26/2016, 10:03 am

yolos wrote:No, yellow squash is not a vining plant.  I have not heard of a vining variety of Zucchini.  Someone on this site grew Tromboncino Squash.  They said the neck was very much like summer squash/zucchini.  It is vining.  If left to mature, it can be a winter squash and will store for quite awhile.  I have a spot all picked out for this summer for the Tromboncino Squash.  It is a C. Moschata variety so should be able to withstand the dreaded Squash Vine Borer (I hope).
Thanks Yolos. 

I was mis-informed about the yellow squash. So how many squares does it need - at least 2 like zucchini?

Trombocino, looks like an amazing one to grow/show. I may have to try some
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/26/2016, 11:59 am

Because I have lots of room and great soil for in ground growing, I just let them roam.  I save my SFG boxes for more delicate or hard to grow plants.  I hate the sharp hairs as well they really sting.  The only problem I have is the occasional fruit that gets missed until it's a 5 lb squash!!!  Those we use for zucchini lasagna  Wink  My best heirloom zucc grows about 5 or 6 different lead vines and we just make sure they're growing in different directions.  It was about 8' x 8' or more last year.

Oh!  And I have some Tromboncino seeds I'm going to try to grow this year I'll let you know what our experience is.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/26/2016, 6:08 pm

ralitaco wrote:
yolos wrote:No, yellow squash is not a vining plant.  I have not heard of a vining variety of Zucchini.  Someone on this site grew Tromboncino Squash.  They said the neck was very much like summer squash/zucchini.  It is vining.  If left to mature, it can be a winter squash and will store for quite awhile.  I have a spot all picked out for this summer for the Tromboncino Squash.  It is a C. Moschata variety so should be able to withstand the dreaded Squash Vine Borer (I hope).
Thanks Yolos. 

I was mis-informed about the yellow squash. So how many squares does it need - at least 2 like zucchini?

Trombocino, looks like an amazing one to grow/show. I may have to try some
The trombone squash WILL vine and need a trellis. It can grow many feet (30' ish). Summer squash and zukes are best planted in a dedicated box because they will sprawl, with vigor.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Trellising zucchini and summer squash WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/26/2016, 9:15 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:My best heirloom zucc grows about 5 or 6 different lead vines and we just make sure they're growing in different directions.  It was about 8' x 8' or more last year.
What kind of zucc is that that vines?

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:Oh!  And I have some Tromboncino seeds I'm going to try to grow this year I'll let you know what our experience is.
I look forward to the updates.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/26/2016, 9:18 pm

camprn wrote:The trombone squash WILL vine and need a trellis. It can grow many feet (30' ish).
That is what I want to go up and over my trellis
Trellising zucchini and summer squash 2015-010

camprn wrote:Summer squash and zukes are best planted in a dedicated box because they will sprawl, with vigor.
I was thinking about that but haven't gotten around to making those yet.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/27/2016, 9:13 am

You have the perfect setup with your trellis, RT, to get something up and over to vine!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/27/2016, 9:17 am

ralitaco wrote:
camprn wrote:The trombone squash WILL vine and need a trellis. It can grow many feet (30' ish).
That is what I want to go up and over my trellis
Trellising zucchini and summer squash 2015-010

Oh I can just picture the long Tromboncino squash hanging down from that trellis.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/27/2016, 1:46 pm

Thanks to both of you. I tried to get some cukes, green beans and melons going last year, but they were all duds. I plan to try them again but may try something different too.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/27/2016, 3:32 pm

How about some Flamingo Pole Beans.
Trellising zucchini and summer squash Home-design
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/27/2016, 7:22 pm

OH I LIKE THOSE!!!!
They are edible, correct?
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/27/2016, 7:48 pm

Oh yeah, and beautiful, and very provocative I might add! LOL
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/27/2016, 8:26 pm

excellent. I think the best part will be the color...a nice contrast and easy to see to pick.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/27/2016, 9:56 pm

yolos wrote:How about some Flamingo Pole Beans.
Trellising zucchini and summer squash Home-design
Yes they are edible.  I am planting them for the first time this year.  Here is a listing at the sampleseedshop.

Bean ‘Flamingo pole bnFla
This bean is a result of a crossed Jeminez bean. Instead of the green pods that redden with age, Flamingo is bright pink from the start. When cooked they turn to yellow.  So it is a wax bean not a green bean. A very interesting new bean. 30 seeds for $3.00.
Sorry, out of stock. I did not get enough bean for re-offering it this fall.  

I did not buy from this vendor as they were out of stock.  I finally found some to buy on ebay.

From my search, I found that they are best eaten at the shelly stage but are kind of hard to shell at this stage.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/27/2016, 11:36 pm

Thanks Yolos...I'm guessing most seeds like that will have to be ordered.
I have never ordered seeds, just bought them at the local box stores...maybe why I don't have much luck.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next