Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Toplef10spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... I22gcj10spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Toplef10spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... I22gcj10spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 10:20 am

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

+16
p14shooter
Scorpio Rising
landarch
yolos
has55
sanderson
donnainzone5
jimmy cee
AtlantaMarie
Kelejan
CapeCoddess
herblover
trolleydriver
Leone
mschaef
CitizenKate
20 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Empty Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Post  CitizenKate 2/24/2016, 11:39 am

This week, I've been getting some spinach started to go out in early March, and I wanted to share my method of starting it.  I usually start my first batch indoors so it's got a head-start at the beginning of growing season, but after that, I just put my pre-sprouted seeds right out in the garden beds.

Spinach is notoriously hard to get to germinate - if you try to start it the way that works for just about everything else.  My first few attempts were dismal, and I was about to give up.  Until - after hours of searching gardening forums and other websites - I found a few apparently obscure, but simple tricks for getting spinach to sprout reliably.  Now I do this with every batch of spinach seeds, and very easily get high germination rates within 5 days.

1: "Scarify" the seeds.

I didn't think this was a real word, but it is.  It involves various methods of breaching or compromising the seed coat to make it more permeable to moisture.  There are lots of articles and YouTube videos about this.

To do this with spinach, I take a pair of nail trimmers and nip one end of the seed.  Most of the seeds have a kind of teardrop shape.  I find the pointy end of the seed (where the first root normally comes out), and nip off a little of the seed there, just enough to expose the inside of the seed.  I try not to cut too far into the inner part of it.
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Sprout10

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Sprout11

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Sprout12

You can also try just rubbing the seeds on some sandpaper to wear off some of the seed coat, which works just about as well, and some people will find this easier.

2: Soak and chill the seeds.

Once I've nipped all the seeds, I put them in a small container and completely cover them with water.  The water I use for this is a regular 16-ish oz bottle of water, to which I've added 1/4 tsp of hydrogen peroxide solution (to help prevent fungi).
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Sprout13

Then into the refrigerator they go, for 24 hours.  Seriously.
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Sprout14

I got the idea to try this after discovering this chart of seed germination temperatures published by Tom Clothier on his website.  I've seen the charts that show ideal germination temps for spinach being around 70-77 degrees.  But note the difference between days to germinate vs. germination rates.

According to Clothier's chart, spinach seed germinates in the fewest number of days at 77 degrees (F), but at fairly low germination rates, about 28%.  However, the highest germination rates for spinach happen at around 50 degrees, at around 91%.  But they also normally take much longer to germinate at that temperature.

This is where scarifying the seeds changes the game.  Scarified spinach seeds germinate at chilled temperatures in about the same time as you would get with warmer temperatures, but you get a germination rate you would typically get at lower temperatures.

So that's my theory.

3: Put the seeds in wet paper towels and keep them cool and dark.

End of day 1 (at the end of 24 hours in the fridge):

The seeds come out of the fridge and into some wet paper towels.  (I use lidded containers that I can re-use, but ziploc bags work fine, too.)
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... P1040711

As you can see here, some of them - after just 24 hours - are already starting to sprout their first root.  Even so, I'm going to give them a day in the paper towels before planting them in the seed tray.
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... P1040712

Once in the paper towels, I set them out in the garage, where the average temperature is around 60 degrees during the winter, and cover them to keep them in the dark.
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... P1040713

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... P1040714

End of day 2:

They're sprouting like crazy now.  I counted 27 out of the original 38 seeds that have now sprouted - that's 75% so far!  (2 of the original 38 seeds are missing somehow...   thinking )
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Sprout15

Any with root tails get planted in seed cells (or in the garden if it's warm enough).
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Sprout16

End of day 3:

Now I've got a total of 30 out of the original 38 that have sprouted - 79%.  (This is a really good batch of seed I got from Lee Valley in Boulder, CO.)
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Sprout17

End of day 4:

4 more seeds, of the remaining 6, have sprouted - 90%
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Sprout19

End of day 5:

By day five, the seeds that were planted are beginning to emerge from the mix.  So this is shaping up into another successful start of a batch of spinach seeds.
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Sprout20

Another benefit of this method is less waste of seeds.  The only seeds that get planted are the ones you know are sprouting.  So you don't have to fill each seed cell with 3 or 4 seeds, betting at least one of them will sprout, then end up with some where none do, or having to destroy a few seedlings to thin the cell to just one.  And once they're planted, the success rate is usually around 99%.  This is why I like to pre-sprout my seeds in general.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Empty Re: Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Post  mschaef 2/24/2016, 12:20 pm

Thanks for sharing that was very informative for me. I might even try it out myself next time I plant spinach.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Empty Re: Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Post  Leone 2/24/2016, 12:41 pm

Thank you for sharing this and for the great pictures. I look forward to trying this!
Leone
Leone

Female Posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 2/24/2016, 12:45 pm

Thanks CK for that great information. I'll try it with my spinach.

Seems like I learn something new everyday on this forum.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 2/24/2016, 12:56 pm

I don't start seeds indoors but may try this closer to planting time! I don't usually have good luck with spinach but this might be motivation to give it another try.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/24/2016, 1:03 pm

That's amazing, Kate!  I've read they we needed to scarify them but couldn't figure out how to cut that tiny seed.  Great tip!

Last year when I direct planted a few different varieties of spinach, I got an interesting surprise.  The seeds that I had harvested myself the previous year, after bolting, had an almost 100% germination rate!  The rest were the usual 50% more or less.  Not sure if this was a fluke or what, but this year I'm only planting my own and not bothering with the others.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/24/2016, 1:37 pm

Thanks for this Kate, and so well explained. 

Very Happy At least I have nail clippers and tweezers so I am on my way.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/24/2016, 1:57 pm

Love this! Thanks, Kate. Planning to seed spinach in the next couple of days anyway, so perfect timing!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/24/2016, 4:41 pm

Thank you Kate, I've been having problems starting / growing spinach. Mainly because of reading spinach must be direct planted.. This then can be done both ways...I'm testing this week..
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 2/24/2016, 5:39 pm

My usual method of planting spinach is to soak the seeds, then directly sow outside.

This innovation takes things several steps further.  Timed correctly, I don't think the seeds actually must be "started" indoors--just slightly sprouted.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 2/24/2016, 5:47 pm

I sowed mine directly outside last year and got good results. I can't remember if I pre-soaked them or not.  The seed package that I have says to sow them outside in the Spring. I may try starting some indoors this year using Kate's techniques, to get a head start on the season. I'm always willing to experiment.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 2/24/2016, 10:30 pm

donnainzone5 wrote:My usual method of planting spinach is to soak the seeds, then directly sow outside.

This innovation takes things several steps further.  Timed correctly, I don't think the seeds actually must be "started" indoors--just slightly sprouted.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
No, I quite agree, they don't have to be started indoors.  Once it gets warm enough outside, you can just take the sprouted seeds straight out of the paper towel and put them right into your garden bed, and that's what I usually do.  I just sometimes start them as transplants at the beginning of the season to get a week or two head start.

One thing I will never do again is just take seeds straight out of the envelope, drop 4 of them into a hole, and wait 3 weeks for nothing to come up.  Not fun.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 2/24/2016, 10:45 pm

jimmy cee wrote:Thank you Kate, I've been having problems starting / growing spinach. Mainly because of reading spinach must be direct planted.. This then can be done both ways...I'm testing this week..
Yes, I've read that, too, and from what I have read, I believe the reason it is recommended is because of the spinach plant's root structure.  It has a tap root that shoots straight down, that is sensitive to physical stress, and it can be tough on the plant if the roots get damaged during transplant.

I have been able to raise spinach seedlings in seed starting trays and transplant them in previous seasons, and they've done fine.  I think the key is to get them transplanted before they get very far along, before the tap root reaches the bottom of whatever container it's in, or at least just be very gentle when handling the root ball.  So they don't have to be started as transplants, but in my opinion, they can be.

Yes, it can be done both ways using this method of germination.  You can just skip the transplant stage entirely, take the germinated seeds and put them straight from the paper towels into your beds, and you're still getting the benefit of planting a seed you know has already successfully sprouted.  You're getting the most out of your seeds, and it's usually a lot less time before you get to see them emerge from the Mel's Mix.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/25/2016, 2:17 am

Excellent explanation, Kate.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/25/2016, 7:43 am

sanderson wrote:Excellent explanation, Kate.

Yes, Kate, thank you so much for this info, I love eating spinach so much, I think Popeye is in my family's roots
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 2/26/2016, 2:11 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Last year when I direct planted a few different varieties of spinach, I got an interesting surprise.  The seeds that I had harvested myself the previous year, after bolting, had an almost 100% germination rate!  The rest were the usual 50% more or less.  Not sure if this was a fluke or what, but this year I'm only planting my own and not bothering with the others.
I don't think it was a fluke.  One thing I forgot to mention was that spinach seed has a very short shelf life.  I do not save them year after year like I can with tomato or lettuce seeds.  If they're not fresh, their germination rate drops drastically the second year.

And now that I think about it, this is another great way to get the most out of your purchased seeds.  I'm going to have to try that.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/26/2016, 7:42 pm

Thank you Kate. Fantastic demo, great pictures.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/26/2016, 8:44 pm

I was finally able to grow spinach this past year.  I also germinate the seed in damp paper towels and then transplant when I see the rootlet popping out.  Worked great.  I did not do the refrigerator part but the paper towel sure worked great.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 2/26/2016, 11:08 pm

I'l be starting some spinach indoors this weekend.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/28/2016, 5:59 pm

21 spinach seeds scarified, in water in fridge. Seed starting thingy filled with moistened organic starter mix, covered, found the old heating pad.....just need to find some dowels to mount my fluorescent lights....

bounce
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/28/2016, 10:57 pm

Kate
Removed these from water in fridge this morning (Sunday)
Left them for 2 days as I forgot they were there.
Laid them out on paper and slid them in a clear bag...Some have sprouted already...
Think I will just pot them for the heck of it..see what happens..
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... Seeds_10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 2/29/2016, 12:09 am

mmy cee wrote:Kate
Removed these from water in fridge this morning (Sunday)
Left them for 2 days as I forgot they were there.
Laid them out on paper and slid them in a clear bag...Some have sprouted already...
Think I will just pot them for the heck of it..see what happens..
The one just right of the middle is definitely ready to get into some growing mix.  I think it's okay if the seeds go a little overtime in the fridge, as long as they don't start to disintegrate, or go too long underwater after sprouting.  24 hours usually does it for me, though.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 2/29/2016, 12:21 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:21 spinach seeds scarified, in water in fridge.  Seed starting thingy filled with moistened organic starter mix, covered, found the old heating pad.....just need to find some dowels to mount my fluorescent lights....

bounce
Let's get this party started!   rock on
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/29/2016, 7:05 pm

Oh yeah, those little tadpoles are goin' in, baby! LOL spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... 998388915
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 2/29/2016, 11:03 pm

Then you got some sprouts, too!

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... 3170584802
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next