Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 Toplef10spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 I22gcj10spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 Toplef10spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 I22gcj10spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 4:36 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Today at 4:34 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 4:24 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» Cabbage worms
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:07 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

+16
p14shooter
Scorpio Rising
landarch
yolos
has55
sanderson
donnainzone5
jimmy cee
AtlantaMarie
Kelejan
CapeCoddess
herblover
trolleydriver
Leone
mschaef
CitizenKate
20 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 Empty Re: Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Post  Kelejan 3/2/2016, 12:43 pm

So far I have six sprouts from some very old (2008) seeds. Very Happy  Try buying plants later on and see what you have to pay.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 Empty Re: Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Post  CitizenKate 3/3/2016, 11:58 pm

Kelejan wrote:So far I have six sprouts from some very old (2008) seeds. Very Happy  Try buying plants later on and see what you have to pay.
Seriously???  I didn't think that was possible, especially with spinach seeds.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/4/2016, 10:27 am

I've counted 9 spinach sprouts coming out..I know spinach sedllings do not want to be disturbed, with the cups I just removed the bottoms and slide the entire plant into it's growing hole..Thank you Kate..maybe this season I'll have some of my most favorite veggie...
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 Spinac10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/4/2016, 11:56 pm

CitizenKate wrote:Then you got some sprouts, too!

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 3170584802

Put up some not so great pics of my little darlings on Midwest......they will be greening up quickly I would think!

Thanks again, Kate! Pictures are just SO HELPFUL!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8734

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/4/2016, 11:57 pm

jimmy cee wrote:I've counted 9 spinach sprouts coming out..I know spinach sedllings do not want to be disturbed, with the cups I just removed the bottoms and slide the entire plant into it's growing hole..Thank you Kate..maybe this season I'll have some of my most favorite veggie...
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 Spinac10

Very nice, Jimmy!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/5/2016, 10:59 pm

jimmy cee wrote:I've counted 9 spinach sprouts coming out..I know spinach sedllings do not want to be disturbed, with the cups I just removed the bottoms and slide the entire plant into it's growing hole..Thank you Kate..maybe this season I'll have some of my most favorite veggie...

Looks like you're going to get some spinach this year. spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 3170584802
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/6/2016, 6:56 am

CitizenKate wrote:

Looks like you're going to get some spinach this year.  spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 3170584802

Yes and it is thanks to you for your tip, I have more going wet in envelopes sitting on top of warmth..
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/10/2016, 3:40 pm

Getting bigger

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 Spinac23
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 Spinac27
spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 Spinac31
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  p14shooter 3/10/2016, 4:10 pm

This is not really where this post belongs, but I can not find my first mention of my learning year.  Anyway, I had sorta made a mini cold frame, must be about 6 weeks ago now, just to see if I cold get anything to sprout and grow.  Well, nothing sprouted after 3 weeks so I leaned that what I had done was not right and ignored it.   Who tries to start that in Nova Scotia in February anyway.  Well, while trying to fix a leak today, I took a peak at it whadda know.  8 spinach growing.  I thought the seeds would have gone to waste, but apparently not.    I did only plant 9 spinach and 9 carrots.  No sign of the carrots.  It is not near the proper container for it, so I hope to transplant them to the real garden in another week.  Weather permitting.  It has gotten cold again.

Yes, it is not MM but is all I had at the time

spinach - Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this... - Page 2 2016-03-10%2016.35.03
p14shooter
p14shooter

Male Posts : 97

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/10/2016, 4:35 pm

Nice!  Your cold frame actually worked!  Yea you!
cheers

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/10/2016, 5:19 pm

Well done p14 ... you are off to a good start in extending the season. That's very encouraging. I'm thinking I need to get some kind of cold frame going.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/10/2016, 8:37 pm

Way to go, p14! Love it!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/11/2016, 12:02 am

I love it, too!
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/11/2016, 12:04 am

jimmy cee wrote:Getting bigger...
Those look great, Jimmy!
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/11/2016, 2:18 am

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21557

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/13/2016, 2:26 pm

Anyone have any experience with getting New Zealand Spinach to germinate. I had 100% germination with the Malibar Spinach but 0% with the New Zealand.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 4/13/2016, 7:46 pm

I first read about the scarify method for carrots in Pat Welsh's Southern California Organic Gardening (3rd Edition): Month by Month. I never realized Spinach has the same problem but that explains my low success rate getting spinach going. 

Her method involved scaring them with scalding water to crack them.  Rather problematic.  I'm going to try the clip and soak method.  I really like the wet paper towel transplant.  Lots of work, but worth it if I can actually get 16 appropriately spaced carrots, spinach and other difficult to sprout veggies going.

Thanks.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 4/13/2016, 9:30 pm

I can post some additional spinach pics tomorrow, however I did manage one picture just a few minutes ago to test my camera in the dark (no flash but some special candle setting...go figure).  Here's a shot of a 4x4 box seeded with spinach last fall...and a tray of new seedlings (upper left) using Kate's method.  I need to start eating spinach every day to make way for green bean and peppers in a few weeks.

landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 4/14/2016, 12:22 am

No_Such_Reality wrote:I first read about the scarify method for carrots in Pat Welsh's Southern California Organic Gardening (3rd Edition): Month by Month. I never realized Spinach has the same problem but that explains my low success rate getting spinach going. 

Her method involved scaring them with scalding water to crack them.  Rather problematic.  I'm going to try the clip and soak method.  I really like the wet paper towel transplant.  Lots of work, but worth it if I can actually get 16 appropriately spaced carrots, spinach and other difficult to sprout veggies going.

Thanks.
I've heard of the boil method, but never been inclined to try it.  It just seems like it could very easily do more damage than good, but I do know that some people have used that method successfully.

With carrot seeds, since they're so small, it's hard to nip them without taking off too much, and handling all those tiny seeds individually is incredibly tedious.  So I find it much more effective to take a bunch of them and rub them briskly over some medium-grit sandpaper (I think I use 120 grit) until the hulls get slightly scored or a bit frazzled-looking.  Then soak them in water for 24 hours, but at room temperature, since they get the best germination rates at higher temperatures (compared to spinach seeds).

I've also tested the difference between direct-sowing carrot seeds after soaking, or sprouting them in paper towels and planting them in seed trays to live indoors for a spell before getting planted outside.  Hands down, I get much better and faster results from starting them indoors, then transplanting them.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 4/14/2016, 9:44 am

Thanks Kate.  Maybe  I'll try the alternate boil method.  I was looking at some scarify, stratify, or soak pergermination videos last night and their process for the boil method is just bring the water to a boil, let it cool 30 seconds or so, pour it in a bowl and then dump you seeds in and wait for the water to cool or the seeds to double in size.  

Prior directions I've seen called for pouring boiling water quickly over the seeds which leads to splashing.

I also might just try the soak and towel method for the carrots.

Also saw some interesting hints on those videos about growing the cool season veggies like carrots in the summer heat by planting them deeper.  Interesting, but maybe I'll wait on that until my summer veggies do better.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/24/2016, 11:18 am

End of day 2, no tails yet. Maybe the basement was too cold? thinking Four of the five varieties are fresh seed packets.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/24/2016, 1:04 pm

Give it another day, BPSF.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 4/24/2016, 1:56 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:End of day 2, no tails yet. Maybe the basement was too cold? thinking Four of the five varieties are fresh seed packets.
What's the temperature in your basement?
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/24/2016, 9:43 pm

I'm giving up on spinach, not because it didn't grow, they did nicely this season due to Kate's  program. I can sit and devour a ton of spinach. I love it, always have and always will...Having 5 beds, with just under 200 squares I want to devote my planting to a more robust crop. A large bowl of spinach cooks up into about 1/2 cup. I'll buy mine at the market...kohlrabi's are crunchier...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/24/2016, 10:29 pm

CitizenKate wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:End of day 2, no tails yet. Maybe the basement was too cold? thinking Four of the five varieties are fresh seed packets.
What's the temperature in your basement?
It was 59 Fahrenheit this afternoon when I checked, so likely no less than 50 overnight (the heat is off in the basement at this point, but the basement is insulated, so even though we had a 30 degree low last night...) 

It was hard to find the beak on a lot of them, many were rather round. I'm guessing they are just slower growers. I got roughly 50-60% germination (eventually) on two of these varieties earlier, using soaking+direct sowing. Ultimately, I'd rather have better germination than faster, so I don't have as many empty holes in my squares -- or wasted seeds. I'll check them again tomorrow. Varieties are: Dash, Butterflay, Space, Regiment and Renegade.

Can you tell me what the silver stuff on some of my spinach seeds is? Natural something that some companies leave on, or not natural (anti-fungal?) something that some companies add? Does it affect the germination process?
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next