Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey and making soil blocks Toplef10The SFG Journey and making soil blocks 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey and making soil blocks I22gcj10The SFG Journey and making soil blocks 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey and making soil blocks Toplef10The SFG Journey and making soil blocks 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey and making soil blocks I22gcj10The SFG Journey and making soil blocks 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The SFG Journey and making soil blocks

+6
NanSFG
Zmoore
sanderson
Turan
Kelejan
has55
10 posters

Go down

The SFG Journey and making soil blocks Empty The SFG Journey and making soil blocks

Post  has55 1/26/2016, 9:56 am

I'm putting the video up because I only found excellent wriiten info on the links about soil blocks on the forum, including Eliot Coleman method. I hope this is helpful for some seeing the video.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey and making soil blocks Empty Re: The SFG Journey and making soil blocks

Post  Kelejan 1/26/2016, 10:48 am

Last year I bought the soil block makers but I could not get the soil blocks to remain in a block, they just fell apart.

Where does one get greensan? No one seemed to have heard of it.

I will have another go at making blocks and hope they do not fall apart.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey and making soil blocks Empty Re: The SFG Journey and making soil blocks

Post  Turan 1/26/2016, 11:24 am

Green sand can be ordered from Planet Natural.  It is also an ingredient in some of the Espoma fertilizer mixes.

When my soil blocks fall apart I add a bit more peat.  If you want to use your MM for the blocks use a finer grade of vermiculite and use less and then up the peat.  I keep playing with it until I get the right blend for this particular bunch of ingredients.  I also use organic potting mixes that I sift all the chunks out of.  I then plant most seeds in a pinch of fine vermiculite in the dimple.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/26/2016, 12:22 pm

I see greensand is packaged under the Espoma label. Maybe it can be found in nursery areas of big box stores, also?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 1/26/2016, 1:08 pm

I found some at local garden supply store.  Espoma is on label.
The SFG Journey and making soil blocks Greens11
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/26/2016, 1:14 pm

Thank you all on the greensand question.  I will look out for it and try to order it from my nearest nursery, which is a offshoot of one further away.

Turan, thanks for the tip on altering the ratios of peat etc.  I will be more brave and start playing around with the recipe instead of trying to stick to the letter.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  NanSFG 1/26/2016, 2:05 pm

This looks better than trying to start seeds in the newspaper pot. Very Happy
NanSFG
NanSFG

Female Posts : 71

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/26/2016, 7:07 pm

That looks cool, but I think he is further down the road than I am.....I am doin some jiffy pots and I might try the newspaper ones.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 1/27/2016, 8:32 am

That looks great, especially if you are starting a lot of seeds indoors that way. I wish I had a big enough garden and wallet to get all these gadgets. I checked out the price for the Soil Block and Mold tools he uses. The set is $66 at Lee Valley in Canada. That's overkill for me given I require so few transplants. I'll stick with reusing toilet roll tubes and yogurt containers for my small operation.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  kamigh 1/27/2016, 1:52 pm

I invested in the soil block makers last year and love them.  My suggestion, if you want to start with less of an investment, is to buy the littlest one first (the 3/4" blocks).  I think it has the most bang for your buck.  For me, I start my seedlings in those blocks on my lone heat mat and then can transplant them up as they grow.  It saves space and resources, because you are just tossing a little 3/4" block if something fails to germinate, not "wasting" a precious spot out of a Jiffy Tray or something similar.  I can try many more varieties, older seeds, etc, and pot up as necessary.  Also, I use the 512 mix from Johnnys for my soil blocks.  It is expensive when you add in shipping (especially when you are not on the East Coast), and not available to our Canadian neighbors, but it works well for me and the money spent is worth it to offset the time and effort it would take me to source all the other ingredients and make the mix myself.  For the (relatively) small number of seeds I start each year, I'll just buy the ready made bag.
kamigh
kamigh

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/27/2016, 6:22 pm

kamigh wrote:I invested in the soil block makers last year and love them.  My suggestion, if you want to start with less of an investment, is to buy the littlest one first (the 3/4" blocks).  I think it has the most bang for your buck.  For me, I start my seedlings in those blocks on my lone heat mat and then can transplant them up as they grow.  It saves space and resources, because you are just tossing a little 3/4" block if something fails to germinate, not "wasting" a precious spot out of a Jiffy Tray or something similar.  I can try many more varieties, older seeds, etc, and pot up as necessary.  Also, I use the 512 mix from Johnnys for my soil blocks.  It is expensive when you add in shipping (especially when you are not on the East Coast), and not available to our Canadian neighbors, but it works well for me and the money spent is worth it to offset the time and effort it would take me to source all the other ingredients and make the mix myself.  For the (relatively) small number of seeds I start each year, I'll just buy the ready made bag.

Makes sense!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/27/2016, 7:08 pm

Last year I tried to source the ingredients for Johnnies mix and failed miserably. By the time I had finished, I had too much of one ingredient when I only needed a little and nothing of others ( e.g. greensand).

The videos make it seem so easy.  Sigh!  I think I will buy some potting soil and use a little fine vermiculite. I had better start practicing again.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/27/2016, 8:00 pm

I feel too rookie to attempt such a thing....plus I don't have the block makin' thing. Looks intriguing however!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/27/2016, 9:39 pm

I have two sizes of soil block makers.  Nothing seemed to work well last year so I gave up.  i will have to try Turan's suggestion of adding a little bit more of peat moss.  Also, just saw a video that said to dip the soil block maker in water before making the block so the block will come out easier.  I even tried Johnny's 512 mix and just couldn't get it to work.

For those of you who do not want to spend that kind of money, there are a lot of DIY soil block makers on youtube.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down