Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+20
Turan
keepercjr
sanderson
bigdogrock
Windmere
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
Mellen
No_Such_Reality
joy.cheri
CapeCoddess
CotheK
Kelejan
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
yolos
Scorpio Rising
24 posters

Page 26 of 41 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 41  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 9/16/2016, 10:34 pm

NSR, Isn't that the truth!!! If one doesn't laugh, one will cry.

CN, yikes. It looks like Sunday and Monday will be 100*F for us. Just in time for all the cole/winter transplants!! Sad

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  countrynaturals 9/17/2016, 11:14 am

sanderson wrote:CN,  yikes.  It looks like Sunday and Monday will be 100*F for us.  Just in time for all the cole/winter transplants!! Sad
Our weatherman is forecasting a heat wave for the end of Sep into Oct. He doesn't consider 100-101 a heatwave, so we might be in for yet another round of hostilities in the garden. Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/18/2016, 5:17 pm

Geez...I sure hope it's not heading cross country.  Got those shade covers up, folks? I just put mine away today to prep for plastic.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/18/2016, 6:32 pm

+1, CC.  Stuff pulled out today.  Peppers and maters still out there.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/22/2016, 2:50 am

Some rain in No Cal!  The Foundation posted this on Facebook, courtesy Women Who Farm. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Cartoo10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:22 pm

I've been scarce on the Forum lately as I have been helping with my 50-year high school reunion.  Tonight is the meet and greet, Sat night the dinner and passing the microphone.  Sunday morning a brunch at the high school, with tours of the expanded campus and a vintage car show.

This morning I did manage to feed the worms and plant 90% of the winter starts - 2 varieties of kale, 2 of Swiss chard, purple and green broccoli, purple cauliflower, and some late season herbs.  The carrot, parsnip and radish seeds will have to wait a couple days. The seedlings will be thinned with scissors when they acclimated and I can save the best of each.

2 views of 2x8' bed (still needs tulle) California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Winter13
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Winter14

2x3' box with tulle California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Cabbag10

Herb box California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Herb_b12

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/26/2016, 11:01 am

4 days of triple-digits. Yesterday broke a record -- 104. 2 more days of this to go. Garden looks as sad as it did in July and August. I've been sick for almost 2 weeks. Must have 2 tooth extractions this week (major surgery -- roots wrapped around jaw bone). I am NOT a happy camper. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/26/2016, 12:37 pm

CN, Hope the surgery goes perfectly and you heal quickly.

I'm back on the Forum again after 3-day weekend of 50th class reunion activities. Not only did I take a nap Sun, I also went to bed at 8 PM! As a night owl, I was afraid I would wake up then not be able to fall back asleep. Nope, slept 12 hours.

Yesterday I saw 2 white butterflies checking out the uncovered kale, etc. Caught one, the other fluttered away. Today is bridal tulle day and direct sowing carrots, turnips and tendersweet carrots.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/29/2016, 3:05 am

CN,  Have you had your surgery?  How are you doing.

YS,  Is the "Santa Cruz" fire affecting you?  The coast has had a rough summer, fire-wise.

Mellon,  Yoo Hoo  happy hi

I finally bought some 108" tulle today.  I could not find the bolt stored somewhere in the house.  Good thing because another white butterfly showed up.  The transplants are doing good, despite this last little heat spell.  Now they are thinned and standing up!

I'm hoping Ken can build one more table top for me, shy of 4' x 4'.  I have enough MM and raw ingredients to fill one more.  I'm trying to get away from pots except for a few flowers and totes for sweet potatoes.

When I cut down the cayenne pepper plant, I hung the branches, hoping a few more would turn red.  Very Happy  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Pepper11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 9/29/2016, 1:38 pm

I'm taking a break- in Santa Barbara for a while, but my daughter lives in Pacific Grove (across the bay from Santa Cruz) and she said the smoke plume is very heavy, with flames visible at night. The fire South of me isn't fully contained yet, so I'd imagine that if the winds shift it will turn our area into a smokehouse again.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/29/2016, 4:12 pm

I saw one photo that looked like an atomic bomb, flatten smoke.

Here is an update photo of the winter crop planted 9-23-16. Starting tomorrow, we may be in the 80's and some of the shade cloth can come down. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Winter16

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/29/2016, 5:54 pm

CN, I hope your surgery goes well.  I know it is painful but when they heal you will feel so much better.

Looking after your teeth is so important.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/29/2016, 6:07 pm

Kelejan wrote:CN, I hope your surgery goes well.  I know it is painful but when they heal you will feel so much better.

Looking after your teeth is so important.
The problem is that I've been waiting for 3 weeks, sick as a dog from the abscess poisoning me. Here I sit, watching my life pass by. Until today, it's been too hot to garden, but today is beautiful and here I sit playing XBox cuz I'm too weak to go out ans play. WAAAAAAAA! Sad (Surgery scheduled for next Tuesday.)
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/30/2016, 12:40 am

Tuesday? That must seem like forever, considering how you feel.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/30/2016, 2:32 pm

sanderson wrote:Tuesday?  That must seem like forever, considering how you feel.
Exactly! Mad Today I woke up feeling great. Decided to clean up all the dead leaves and plants from last heat wave. Got about 10% of it done and hit rock bottom. I'm now skimming the forum and about ready to go back to bed. THIS IS THE PITS!  Sad Sad Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/30/2016, 2:42 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
sanderson wrote:Tuesday?  That must seem like forever, considering how you feel.
Exactly! Mad Today I woke up feeling great. Decided to clean up all the dead leaves and plants from last heat wave. Got about 10% of it done and hit rock bottom. I'm now skimming the forum and about ready to go back to bed. THIS IS THE PITS!  Sad Sad Sad
I think you need to take it easy. You do not want to do more damage to your body with the poisons from the abscess. Your body is fighting an infection and cannot stand the strain of heavy work. Hoping you feel much better after the operation.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/30/2016, 4:14 pm

Yes. I would chill right now, doing as little as possible except eating healthy. Hopefully you are on antibiotics??

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/30/2016, 6:54 pm

Nice plants, sanderson!  Did you have fun seeing your classmates?  

CN, just take it easy until this thing rolls past you.  Oral surgery heals super fast.  You will be better in no time!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/30/2016, 8:12 pm

SR, thanks. Yes, I had a good time, probably because it was held over 3 days and everyone dropped the facades that were exhibited the prior reunions. Wink We actually talked (verses bragging) and the oldies but goodies were on low volume. 130 attended. We will hold a 70th Birthday reunion in 2 years, then a 55th Reunion 3 years after that. Every 5 years from now on. Oh, and lunch, brunch or coffee meets every quarter.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 10/1/2016, 9:49 pm

Sanderson: wrote:Mellon,  Yoo Hoo  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 61949 
I'm here...I'm here.  Sigh.  Not doing anything but trying to catch up with myself.  I don't seem to have any energy in the evenings, which is too bad.  Thought I would get something done this weekend but nope....  Still only have my "salad" box in (same as last post).  I really did want to get some beans in...is it too late?  It made me feel better that Sanderson is still planting.  There is hope for me yet.

Trying to find someone to come in & do some cleanup.  I really only want to do the fun stuff.   Razz

The next two weeks don't look much better.  I will be in Fresno next Saturday; working the following one.  

Oh well...there is always the spring?  Something to look forward to.
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/1/2016, 10:00 pm

sanderson wrote:SR, thanks.  Yes, I had a good time, probably because it was held over 3 days and everyone dropped the facades that were exhibited the prior reunions. Wink  We actually talked (verses bragging) and the oldies but goodies were on low volume.  130 attended.  We will hold a 70th Birthday reunion in 2 years, then a 55th Reunion 3 years after that.  Every 5 years from now on.  Oh, and lunch, brunch or coffee meets every quarter.
Good.

I havent' made my last 2.  My first one I missed I was hosting my entire family reunion!  But the next, not so much.

Bummed about it.  Wanted to go to my last one, which was 2015...but my life was in a complete state of flux and I just couldn't field the questioning, ya know?  I am better now.  A lot of it thanks to SFG and this site, believe it or not.afro

And you folks

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 10/1/2016, 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/1/2016, 11:39 pm

Scorpio {{{HUGS}}}  My 40th was this summer but I didn't make it.  To be honest, we had a HUGE class (1200 including our night school) and each reunion the people I really wanted to see weren't there.  I'd rather spend my travel budget seeing kids n grandkids :-)

My garden didn't fare so well when I was gone.  Our new watering system didn't deliver enough for the heat wave.  Not a big deal as everything was nearing the end anyway.

My winter crops are doing well though.  I'm getting ready to gather composting materials and layer my in ground beds with leaves, hay, manures and garden waste to percolate for the winter. 

Next task is to replace the greenhouse cover.  *deep sigh* it never ends!!!!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/2/2016, 1:03 am

Hi Mellon, Yes, a little late for beans, but just in time for snow peas! (flat pods), garlic (grocery store), a pony pack of kale or chard (love the Bright Lights chard). What part of Fresno are you going? The cross streets? I'm near Maple and Teague.

Audrey, Yep, it never ends. By the time I load up the beds with compost, it will be time to build another.

My class was around 360, so you kind of knew everyone to some degree. Having 130 showing up was good. The venues were large enough so you could actually say something to everyone over the 3 days.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/2/2016, 12:44 pm

IT'S RAINING!  cheers
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/2/2016, 4:41 pm

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Cartoo12[/url

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 41 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 41  Next