Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from St.George, Queensland. Australia. Toplef10Hi from St.George, Queensland. Australia. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from St.George, Queensland. Australia. I22gcj10Hi from St.George, Queensland. Australia. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from St.George, Queensland. Australia. Toplef10Hi from St.George, Queensland. Australia. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from St.George, Queensland. Australia. I22gcj10Hi from St.George, Queensland. Australia. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi from St.George, Queensland. Australia.

4 posters

Go down

Hi from St.George, Queensland. Australia. Empty Hi from St.George, Queensland. Australia.

Post  aussie88 10/29/2015, 5:37 pm

St.George is in the Maranoa district in Queensland, 550km west of the capital Brisbane.  Our main business centre is Toowoomba, [the "Garden City"], which is almost 400 km to the east of St.George.

The climate here is very hot in summer, up to the low 40's C, and a mild winter rarely below Zero C.  We do not enjoy normal Spring and Autumn seasons as it very quickly turns from Summer to Winter and Winter back to Summer, with perhaps only a few weeks between.
Rainfall is unreliable as so much of the tree cover has been removed to accommodate broadacre farming.  Of course with no trees, there is precious little rain!  We are fortunate that the town sits beside the Balonne River, which is at the upper reaches of the Murray- Darling system which eventually flows through the irrigation areas of New South Wales, VIctoria and South Australia.
As a small boy my mother, who was an excellent gardener, encouraged me to help in the garden, and I did so willingly.
In my last years in primary school I grew and sold vegetables to the people in our area.  While I was in the garden I found that nothing bothered me.

Fast forward to today, finds me in my eighty-first year and back to gardening.   Suffice it to say that pressure of business confined my gardening to lawns, trees and shrubs.  Still very satisfying but, nothing to eat...

So I have just begun a raised garden project using 1000 litre chemical containers [scoured four times to cleanse them thoroughly], cut in half horizontally and filled with soil etc.
Very similar to the wicking bed concept, but without the water reservoir at the bottom.  My early efforts are very promising and when completed I will have 24 beds each 100cm long X 90cm wide X 60cm deep.  The bases raise the growing surface to around 750cm.  Great for my dodgy back.  My name is Keith.  Thank you for this opportunity to learn.

Last edited by aussie88 on 10/29/2015, 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct a misspelling.)
aussie88
aussie88

Male Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Hi from St.George, Queensland. Australia. Empty Re: Hi from St.George, Queensland. Australia.

Post  AtlantaMarie 10/29/2015, 6:11 pm

G'day Aussie88!  And welcome from Atlanta, GA (SE USA)!

Congratulations on getting back to your love of gardening.  We'll certainly give you all the help & encouragement we can!

We love pictures and to give (and receive) advice....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Hi from St.George, Queensland. Australia. Empty Re: Hi from St.George, Queensland. Australia.

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/29/2015, 7:34 pm

Welcome, Keith from Ohio, USA! So glad you have re-discovered your love of gardening, your mom is smiling I love you

Sounds like you are off to a great start, have you planted anything yet? What is the season like there now? Where I am, we are heading into winter. Sounds like you will have an extended growing season in your locale.

Have you read Mel Bartholomew's books on Square Goot Gardening? It is a great place to start! And coming here, you (and we) will learn so much together!

Take some pictures if you can, so we can see what you have going!

glad you\'re here
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/30/2015, 2:52 am

Aussie88, Welcome to the Forum from California, USA! glad you\'re here You should be getting ready for your summer garden. Your climate sounds similar to mine, 100*F + summers, bouncing around freezing in deep winter. There are veggies that grow nicely during the winter so it's year around gardening for me. During the heat of the summer, commercial sun shade really helps the crops to survive, and revive in the early fall. As far as dodgy backs, there are quite a few of us, and table height beds are great!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down