Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape Toplef10Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape I22gcj10Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape Toplef10Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape I22gcj10Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape

+2
CapeCoddess
trolleydriver
6 posters

Go down

Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape Empty Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape

Post  trolleydriver 9/12/2015, 8:11 pm

This one is for CapeCoddess ... flying Cape Air out of Barnstable Municipal and landing with special permission at OTIS Air National Guard Base.

https://s87.photobucket.com/user/vifc313/slideshow/Miscellaneous/Cape%20Cod
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape Empty Re: Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape

Post  trolleydriver 9/12/2015, 9:54 pm

I thought I put "Virtual Flyovers - USA" as the title for this thread. 

I have no idea how it became "Virtual Flyovers - Maine Cape".  Cape Cod isn't even in Maine!

Sanderson can you fix it for me?
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape Empty Re: Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape

Post  CapeCoddess 9/13/2015, 1:47 pm

That's right, Cape Cod is in Massachusetts. The postal abbreviation for Maine is ME.

Thanks for the tour, TD! I can't really see any landmarks but it looks right. Can you fly on the outside of the arm from the beginning of the elbow up the coast? And then around the fist and back down the forearm? That's where all the good stuff is. Seals, whales, beautiful sand dunes, towers and cliffs.

How do you do virtual flying? Do you start at a website? Does it cost anything? I love flying! Even thought about getting licensed once but decided the air space was getting a little too crowded up there.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/13/2015, 2:43 pm

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed I am completely embarrassed!  Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed I have changed the name of the Flyover.  ME vs MA.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/13/2015, 2:57 pm

I would love to see a valley flyover from Bakersfield (BFL) to Sacramento (SAC). I don't know if you can depart one airport and land at another.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/13/2015, 3:41 pm

sanderson wrote:I would love to see a valley flyover from Bakersfield (BFL) to Sacramento (SAC).  I don't know if you can depart one airport and land at another.

Sure he can, as he can change planes in mid-air.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/13/2015, 3:43 pm

CC ... I can do the flight you requested but there will be no sea creatures.  There may be some cliffs visible if I get low and close to them and if they are big enough.  The scenery is very much a compromise and in some cases it is not very accurate.  I have bought soem add-on scenery to improve things.  The scenery that I have for North West Pacific for example is better than what I have for New England.  The scenery for my home city of Ottawa, Canada is pathetic.

As far as costs ... I started by purchasing the Microsoft Flight Simulator X for about $50.  Since then I have built a new computer to run it well.  Then I've added rudder pedals, yoke, throttle quadrant, autopilot module, radio module, switch module (also include landing gear lever), two 24 inch HD monitors, tons of software (planes, scenery, utilities).  I've probably got about $3000 invested.  Not inexpensive but certainly cheaper than the real thing.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/13/2015, 3:52 pm

sanderson wrote:Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed I am completely embarrassed.

If it helps, please know that you are not alone in mistaking MA for Maine. Many many many people do it. I work in the shipping industry and I'm constantly surprised at how common it is. But heck, don't ask me what the abbreviation for practically anything outside of New England would be. I'd have to google it.
Wink
TD, I have flown that route a few times and we do get pretty low. Not sure it was legal mind you but it sure was purdy. You're right about the cost being less than the real thing, particularly if one includes the plane.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/13/2015, 4:14 pm

sanderson ... no problem ... I'll do that flight for you but the comments I made to CC about scenery will apply.  BTW I can take off and land at any airport in the world and have access to many planes from gliders and ultralights to 747s to jet fighters and anything in between.

I am a member of several online virtual flying clubs.  One I joined recently and which is a lot of fun is Boston Virtual ARTCC.  Some of their members take on the roles of virtual air traffic controllers and it can be very realistic flying with many other pilots and communicating back and forth with ATC. 

Here is one of their Youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez2AH4smRwY
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/13/2015, 4:18 pm

Cool! Yes, the Cape is really cool, esp. the forearm to fist area...both sides, ocean and sound. I have been up that way a couple times, Provincetown area, and it was great!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/13/2015, 4:53 pm

Mrs TD and I spent a few days on Cape Cod. We stayed at a nice B&B. We drove up to the fist and spent some time on the ocean side beach. At the other extreme we drove down to Woods Hole and visited the aquarium. From Cape Cod we went up to Plymouth.  It was a nice time. On another trip we spent a few days in Boston and I have my Cheers bear mug to prove it! We have friends in New Hampshire.  All of New England is great.  Having said that we have enjoyed other trips to the USA ... Tucsan AZ, Naples FL Lancaster PA, Colonial Williamsburg, Branson MO, Shipshewana IN, Mackinac Island MI, etc. etc.  But its always nice to get home as well.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/13/2015, 5:02 pm

Crop duster? Very Happy Or any small aircraft. Thanky

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/13/2015, 7:15 pm

TD, I have a Cheers mug too! Great trips!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/13/2015, 7:48 pm

SR ... I looked on Google Maps and found a small grass strip airport (airport code 0D7) close to you.  I'll have to give it a try.

Sanderson ... I don't have a crop duster but I'll try to find one on the web to download for my flight sim.  I do have a bunch of other small planes that I can use.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/13/2015, 11:34 pm

A question, TD:  If you make a "mistake" do you "crash", or will the program not let you do that?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/14/2015, 1:15 pm

Kelajan ... It all depends on the settings I use. I can turn crash detection on or off.  It is off I will just bounce off the ground.  If its on then yeuk!
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/17/2015, 10:15 am

CC ... Here is the flight you requested.  I'm quite disappointed with the fact that the sim scenery showed virtually no development at places like Provincetown.  The map shows the circuit.  At the end of the slideshow I added some US Coast Guard helicopter shots including some at Boston.

Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape Cc138_zpsdddanyx5

Here is the flight slideshow
https://s87.photobucket.com/user/vifc313/slideshow/Miscellaneous/Cape%20Cod/Cape%20Cod%202

Coast Guard over the Cape.
Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape Cc140_zps1apdwpmg
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 9/17/2015, 10:53 am

Nothing like being at sea level.  CC, if you live out there I hope you have flood/hurricane insurance.  My parents retired to the Fla Keys and Cape Cod looks as susceptible to high water damage as the Keys.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/17/2015, 2:59 pm

Thanks, TD! How cool is that! I agree, no landmarks were showing - P-town monument, a few light houses, cliffs, dunes, lot of homes & buildings - all missing. Also, it made the Cape look like all we do here is golf. LOL! Lots of pretty grass and no scrub brush, scrub pines or dune grass, all of which are prominent. The 2 landing strips were right but the buildings around them were wrong. Wonder where they get the scenery...?

Yes, Yolos, we live on a sandbar here. Every year more houses fall into the ocean. It's pretty sad but that's the risk ocean front property owners take. Fortunately I'm up on a hill a couple miles from the shore so may have water front property by 2050.
Wink

CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 9/17/2015, 4:45 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Yes, Yolos, we live on a sandbar here.  Every year more houses fall into the ocean.  It's pretty sad but that's the risk ocean front property owners take.  Fortunately I'm up on a hill a couple miles from the shore so may have water front property by 2050.
Wink

Virtual Flyovers - Massachusetts Cape 931411784
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down