Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? Toplef10Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? I22gcj10Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? Toplef10Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? I22gcj10Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

+6
sanderson
NinjaKitty
Marc Iverson
yolos
boffer
littlejo
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? Empty Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  NinjaKitty 7/24/2015, 9:49 pm

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this site and I think I've come across the right place.  I started SFG a couple of months ago & had beautiful pepper plants (jalepeno & bell).  Now...they've taken a liking to the color yellow and leaves are falling off.   affraid

Could this be too little sun, too little water, too little of something no?  Any suggestions?

Note:  I tried to upload a few pics to help explain but being that I just joined today I can't upload photo links for the first 7 days.    No
NinjaKitty
NinjaKitty

Female Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? Empty Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  littlejo 7/24/2015, 10:38 pm

Welcome!
I doubt it is too little sun. Water should not cause leaves yellowing. Mine are very pretty and get only filtered sun thru tree leaves.

Sounds like it could be a blight, but, don't know what kind affects peppers? Anybody?

Other than that, could be a nutrient problem. I would get a fungicide for peppers, mix, then get some liquid fertilizer, mix about 1/2 strength, and spray peppers. See if this helps.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? Empty Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  boffer 7/25/2015, 12:16 am

Welcome to the forum.  Pictures are helpful when trying to diagnose problems.

You're correct that you can't post external links for 7 days.  However, you are allowed to upload pictures from your computer.

You can find instructions here:

Text and pictures instructions

Video instructions
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/25/2015, 2:29 am

Ninjakitty, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here Yes, please post photos. This is my wild guess. If you get a lot of rain and the Mel's Mix is soggy, they may be drowning. The solution would be to provide a rain protection from the box. Photos can help others help provide possible diagnoses.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  NinjaKitty 7/25/2015, 9:21 am

boffer wrote:Welcome to the forum.  Pictures are helpful when trying to diagnose problems.

You're correct that you can't post external links for 7 days.  However, you are allowed to upload pictures from your computer.

You can find instructions here:

Text and pictures instructions

Video instructions

Thank you boffer, for the instructions.  I will check it out and see if I can get this to work.  Smile

Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? 20150713

https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/19/28/03/20/20150710.jpg
NinjaKitty
NinjaKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  NinjaKitty 7/25/2015, 9:31 am

sanderson wrote:Ninjakitty,  Welcome to the Forum from California!  glad you\'re here  Yes, please post photos.  This is my wild guess.  If you get a lot of rain and the Mel's Mix is soggy, they may be drowning.  The solution would be to provide a rain protection from the box.  Photos can help others help provide possible diagnoses.

Thank you, sanderson!  I'm really happy to have found this site and look forward to learning a lot and meeting people who understand my insanity, I mean love, for gardening.   

I have some cucumbers too that are a bit yellow in the same bed so that may help too.  They are in the upper right hand corner of the 1st pic of the entire SFG.

It does rain here almost every day in mid-summer.....

Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? 20150714

Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? 20150715

Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? 20150716
NinjaKitty
NinjaKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/25/2015, 10:30 am

NinjaKitty wrote:
sanderson wrote:Ninjakitty,  Welcome to the Forum from California!  glad you\'re here  Yes, please post photos.  This is my wild guess.  If you get a lot of rain and the Mel's Mix is soggy, they may be drowning.  The solution would be to provide a rain protection from the box.  Photos can help others help provide possible diagnoses.

Thank you, sanderson!  I'm really happy to have found this site and look forward to learning a lot and meeting people who understand my insanity, I mean love, for gardening.   

I have some cucumbers too that are a bit yellow in the same bed so that may help too.  They are in the upper right hand corner of the 1st pic of the entire SFG.

So to address the immediate troubles you need to free (fertilize) your plants in the garden. No sense in continuing to let the plants struggle.  Garden - tone is a very good all around product and I use it at times. Read and follow the label directions. You may also get desirable results if you top dress the garden bed with good quality compost. Peppers, tomatoes, and eggplants are very heavy feeders.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/25/2015, 11:30 am

Welcome, ninjakitty! I had basil in a container that looked like that, it needed nitrogen and drainage. I transplanted it into good new Mel's Mix, and gave it some breathing room in the root area and it has rebounded nicely.

You have come to the right place, great advice here! glad you\'re here
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/25/2015, 11:46 am

Ninja, Glad you were able to post the photos. I'm with the others on feeding or top dressing at this time. The rain may have washed the available nutrients right out. Compost is a slow release way to feed plants and I'm thinking the rain just washed what ever was released right out. I couldn't find the Garden Tone that Camp recommended but I did find some Espoma natural fertilizer to help my tomatoes this summer. Then top dressed with new homemade compost a couple weeks later.

It seems that new Mel's Mix becomes better over time as you add more replenishing compost. Sort of like different layers of time-released nutrients.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/25/2015, 11:50 am

My peppers look like that too. I sprinkled some worm castings around them and they started growing again but they didn't darken. I'm heading out today with compost and maybe a little Neptune.

Sanderson, I'm not familiar with Garden Tone either. Maybe camp meant Plant Tone?
If not, camp, where did you get your Garden Tone?
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/25/2015, 12:05 pm

CC, they're products produced by Espoma.

http://www.espoma.com/products/organic-plant-foods/

There's a source locator here

http://www.espoma.com/where-to-buy/
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/25/2015, 12:13 pm

Ha! Look at that. Garden tone is for veggie gardens! I've never seen that one before. Thanks buffer. Dang voice feature. Will it ever learn?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/25/2015, 1:17 pm

Ugh! My previous post should have said FEED the plants. Rolling Eyes

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/25/2015, 2:27 pm

My peppers look like that also.  Last weekend I bought some Garden-Tone but I have not applied it yet.  If I remember correctly, it is organic and therefore may take some time to make a difference.  I also have some liquid Neptune which should be fairly fast acting so I will put some of that on as well as the Garden-Tone and some compost.  Maybe this is too much but what the heck.  The peppers are just sitting there and have stopped flowering and producing fruits.  I had planned to pull them this weekend but I think I will experiment with giving them a big dose of nutrients.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/25/2015, 2:35 pm

Yolos, do your peppers slow down in the same heat that makes tomatoes slow down?

I'm just curious, as this year is the first that it's been hot enough, long enough, for me to see my tomato plants stagnate.  But my peppers don't seem to be slowing down at all.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/25/2015, 2:41 pm

boffer wrote:Yolos, do your peppers slow down in the same heat that makes tomatoes slow down?

I'm just curious, as this year is the first that it's been hot enough, long enough, for me to see my tomato plants stagnate.  But my peppers don't seem to be slowing down at all.

Believe it or not, this is the first year I have ever grown peppers so I have nothing to compare it to.  Also, it is not just that they don't have flowers or fruit, the more concerning problem to me is the yellowing of the leaves that is why I am going to hit them with the fertilizer.  But I will say, I have almost no flowers at the moment on my tomatoes except the grape tomato - Juliet.  They are mostly dying from disease so I am on the point of removing almost all tomatoes.  My plan this weekend was to remove the veggies that have stopped producing but I decided to take the day off today and just veg out.  Maybe tomorrow.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/25/2015, 3:04 pm

My peppers and aubergine take off like crazy in the heat.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/25/2015, 3:23 pm

Thanks for that info camprn, but what temperature is your "heat".  Would they still take off in 95 degree heat?  My aubergine and peppers are just sitting there doing nothing.  I am ready to pull them or cut them back and add some fertilizer.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/25/2015, 3:55 pm

Unfortunately, yellow is the color of virtually every problem.

Adding more compost is a great cure-all, especially if it's the really good home-made stuff. So many bagged composts I see have such high peat or wood levels in them that they hardly qualify as compost, and the ones with a lot of wood in them make me think they may actually take nitrogen from the soil rather than add it. They'd be better to use as mulch than as a growing medium or nutritional supplement.

Regarding short periods in which plants don't produce as much fruit, this doesn't bother me and happens with virtually every plant I have. Peas, beans, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, all seem to go through what I imagine as some sort of breather or consolidation period before coming out with a fresh burst of fruit or greenery, especially when the weather changes -- more rain, hotter days, cooler nights, -- or when heavily pruned or picked, what have you. There's always something, and the plants are always struggling to one degree or another to adapt to their ever-changing circumstances.

The longer we leave ripe fruits on a plant, too, the more likely many plants are to slow the production of new fruits. I don't know how long people are leaving their ripe fruits on their plants, but some are supposed to be especially sensitive to that. I haven't seen it make much difference with cherry tomatoes, which are so absurdly productive anyway, but people growing beans and peas are commonly warned to not leave mature fruits on the plants.

Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/25/2015, 3:59 pm

yolos wrote:My peppers look like that also.  Last weekend I bought some Garden-Tone but I have not applied it yet.  If I remember correctly, it is organic and therefore may take some time to make a difference.  I also have some liquid Neptune which should be fairly fast acting so I will put some of that on as well as the Garden-Tone and some compost.  Maybe this is too much but what the heck.  The peppers are just sitting there and have stopped flowering and producing fruits.  I had planned to pull them this weekend but I think I will experiment with giving them a big dose of nutrients.

yolos, I'm thinking about doing different things to different pepper plants and see which works best.  Plant A will get compost, plant B will get Neptune, plant C will get both, plant D may get some Espoma - jury's still out on that one - and plant E will get urine.  That's IF I can find 5 plants that look about the same.  There are 12 out there so it shouldn't be too hard.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/25/2015, 5:56 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
yolos wrote:My peppers look like that also.  Last weekend I bought some Garden-Tone but I have not applied it yet.  If I remember correctly, it is organic and therefore may take some time to make a difference.  I also have some liquid Neptune which should be fairly fast acting so I will put some of that on as well as the Garden-Tone and some compost.  Maybe this is too much but what the heck.  The peppers are just sitting there and have stopped flowering and producing fruits.  I had planned to pull them this weekend but I think I will experiment with giving them a big dose of nutrients.

yolos, I'm thinking about doing different things to different pepper plants and see which works best.  Plant A will get compost, plant B will get Neptune, plant C will get both, plant D may get some Espoma - jury's still out on that one - and plant E will get urine.  That's IF I can find 5 plants that look about the same.  There are 12 out there so it shouldn't be too hard.

Oh, let me know how the experiment works.  I would like to try that but my 4 peppers are in a 2 x 2 and roots are probably growing all throughout the box and the experiment wouldn't work.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  NinjaKitty 8/19/2015, 8:16 pm

Hello everyone!  Thank you to all those that gave me tips and suggestions for my yellowing pepper plants.  I've been offline for a few weeks but diligently working on my garden(s).  

I took the recommendation from camprn & bought some Garden-Tone.  In the process I found a hidden gem just a few miles from my home that I didn't even know existed!  It's a really cool nursery and they carry all kinds of "Tone" fertilizers/products.  Palm-Tone, this tone that tone.  LOL  The lady that I bought it from is a Master Gardener with the Extension service for the county (which I hadn't heard about before) and she is also a bee keeper and loves her bugs!!!  I learned all about the life of a digger bee while I was there chatting with her for almost an hour.  I love places like that.   

So, I put the Garden-Tone down on a Sunday and by Wednesday I was starting to see a difference.  I ended up removing most of the yellowing leaves that were on their way out.  Now, they are recovering and reviving themselves with new leaves and they are green!   cheers

I have these two pictures and will take a few more in the morning of the entire bed.  It's getting dark and been raining here all evening.  

Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? 20150811
 Please help!  Pepper plants...so sad & yellow.  Any suggestions? 20150813

camprn wrote:
NinjaKitty wrote:

So to address the immediate troubles you need to free (fertilize) your plants in the garden. No sense in continuing to let the plants struggle.  Garden - tone is a very good all around product and I use it at times. Read and follow the label directions. You may also get desirable results if you top dress the garden bed with good quality compost. Peppers, tomatoes, and eggplants are very heavy feeders.
NinjaKitty
NinjaKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/19/2015, 10:31 pm

HOORAY! cheers

And good job making an excellent connection.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/20/2015, 3:03 am

Great turn-around on those plants!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/20/2015, 7:41 am

Success! sunny
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next