Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Raspberry Bed  Toplef10Raspberry Bed  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Raspberry Bed  I22gcj10Raspberry Bed  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Raspberry Bed  Toplef10Raspberry Bed  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Raspberry Bed  I22gcj10Raspberry Bed  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Raspberry Bed

+5
Eleanor Allison
CapeCoddess
donnainzone5
camprn
TheFife
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Raspberry Bed  Empty Raspberry Bed

Post  TheFife 7/20/2015, 10:26 am

I'm planning to build a raised bed for raspberries. I will be using Mel's Mix.  I want the bed to be 4' x 8' because that is what I have room for, and that fits the layout pattern in my garden. My question is how to space the raspberry bushes.  I was thinking of dividing the bed length wise to create 3 sections, each 2' 8" x 4'. Then I could plant 1 plant (different variety in each section) in the center of each section. Does this seem like it is appropriate spacing, or would you plant it differently?
TheFife
TheFife

Back to top Go down

Raspberry Bed  Empty Re: Raspberry Bed

Post  camprn 7/21/2015, 9:27 am

TheFife wrote:I'm planning to build a raised bed for raspberries. I will be using Mel's Mix.  I want the bed to be 4' x 8' because that is what I have room for, and that fits the layout pattern in my garden. My question is how to space the raspberry bushes.  I was thinking of dividing the bed length wise to create 3 sections, each 2' 8" x 4'. Then I could plant 1 plant (different variety in each section) in the center of each section. Does this seem like it is appropriate spacing, or would you plant it differently?
you should research the varieties you are planting and follow those planting recommendations, for the most part. Be aware the roots will travel underground and out of the box.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Raspberry Bed  WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 7/21/2015, 12:47 pm

I hit upon an idea that, so far, is working.  I constructed a bed atop a base of concrete pavers.  The narrow spaces between the pavers allow for drainage, and the blackberry plants have yet to escape their bed.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/21/2015, 1:03 pm

My bed is 2 x 7, planted in 2 rows of 7 staggered plants, and placed so I can mow down any escapees. Not sure how it will work out since this is year one.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Raspberry Bed  Empty How is this working

Post  Eleanor Allison 3/20/2016, 7:16 pm

donnainzone5 wrote:I hit upon an idea that, so far, is working.  I constructed a bed atop a base of concrete pavers.  The narrow spaces between the pavers allow for drainage, and the blackberry plants have yet to escape their bed.
I just bought some raspberry canes and I am wondering how this is working?  I would like to put mine in a square box as well.
Eleanor Allison
Eleanor Allison

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/21/2016, 3:22 am

Hi Eleanor,  Welcome to the Forum from California!  glad you\'re here  When you have a moment, hop on over to "Introduce Yourself" and, well, introduce yourself. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/21/2016, 8:37 am

Hi Eleanor! Welcome from Atlanta, GA. Yes, please do. We like to know our neighbors.

And, Donna, yes, please update us! How deep is the bed, how is it faring, etc.?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/21/2016, 1:08 pm

The blackberry bed is doing pretty well, I think.

Last year, there was one errant sprout; so far this spring, I've seen two more.  I'll either cut them off or dig them out.  Overall, this method seems to be working pretty well.  So far.

I had a raspberry plant in a plastic pot last spring and was too lazy to transplant it.  Well, it decided to reproduce, through the drainage holes, I think, with a vengeance!  I ended up with new canes IN the pot, plus around 30 OUTSIDE (and surrounding) the pot.  Now, I'm wondering exactly how to corral this mess, which is happily growing in unamended existing soil that seems to be loaded with peat moss.  Formerly, that area was covered by a storage shed.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 3/21/2016, 6:04 pm

I have a 2'x16' raspberry bed that I planted in 2013.  I planted "Heritage" raspberries, about 18" apart.  They prefer to be planted in a row as a hedge.  They will also need support to keep the canes from falling.  They are fairly easy to grow, and birds and squirrels seem to leave them alone.  Here is a picture of my hedge in the background.
Raspberry Bed  2015-010
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/21/2016, 6:12 pm

Eleanor, I just noticed you are in British Columbia. Kelejan, Regional Host, would love to have you join the Canadian threads. The current one is "CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016?"

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/21/2016, 10:49 pm

Mikesgardn wrote:I have a 2'x16' raspberry bed that I planted in 2013.  I planted "Heritage" raspberries, about 18" apart.  They prefer to be planted in a row as a hedge.  They will also need support to keep the canes from falling.  They are fairly easy to grow, and birds and squirrels seem to leave them alone.  Here is a picture of my hedge in the background.
Raspberry Bed  2015-010

That is beautiful! Whole thing, Mike!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

Back to top Go down

Post  Eleanor Allison 3/22/2016, 12:34 am

sanderson wrote:Eleanor,  I just noticed you are in British Columbia.  Kelejan, Regional Host, would love to have you join the Canadian threads.  The current one is "CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016?"
I am in British Columbia.  I live on Vancouver Island (gods country).  I am planning my summer and looking at getting my garden going.
Eleanor Allison
Eleanor Allison

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/22/2016, 6:53 pm

donnainzone5 wrote:The blackberry bed is doing pretty well, I think.

Last year, there was one errant sprout; so far this spring, I've seen two more.  I'll either cut them off or dig them out.  Overall, this method seems to be working pretty well.  So far.

I had a raspberry plant in a plastic pot last spring and was too lazy to transplant it.  Well, it decided to reproduce, through the drainage holes, I think, with a vengeance!  I ended up with new canes IN the pot, plus around 30 OUTSIDE (and surrounding) the pot.  Now, I'm wondering exactly how to corral this mess, which is happily growing in unamended existing soil that seems to be loaded with peat moss.  Formerly, that area was covered by a storage shed.

Oops! Oh, dear... That's gonna be tricky getting them out of that pot...

How deep are your beds for this?

Mike, I like your set-up! I'm guessing you dug down a bit for the canes... How far down did you go?

And has anyone heard from Gwennifer? Doesn't she have something like 200 raspberry plants...? Eleanor, you might check the archives under "raspberry" & see if you can find some of her postings as well... I think she's in the PacNW.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 3/22/2016, 8:41 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:

Mike, I like your set-up!  I'm guessing you dug down a bit for the canes...  How far down did you go?

Dug down?  I'm not sure what you mean.  Are you referring to the raspberry canes?  I planted them in a raised bed.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/22/2016, 9:03 pm

Frankenberry! Raspberry Bed  931411784
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

Back to top Go down

Post  Eleanor Allison 3/23/2016, 12:31 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:

Oops!  Oh, dear...  That's gonna be tricky getting them out of that pot...

How deep are your beds for this?

Mike, I like your set-up!  I'm guessing you dug down a bit for the canes...  How far down did you go?

And has anyone heard from Gwennifer?  Doesn't she have something like 200 raspberry plants...?  Eleanor, you might check the archives under "raspberry" & see if you can find some of her postings as well...  I think she's in the PacNW.
I really like Mikes Idea and will probably copy it if he does not mind.  I have a place in mind.
Eleanor Allison
Eleanor Allison

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/23/2016, 7:33 am

Mikesgardn wrote:
AtlantaMarie wrote:

Dug down?  I'm not sure what you mean.  Are you referring to the raspberry canes?  I planted them in a raised bed.

I see that. I guess what I'm asking is: Is that only 6" of MM that you're growing them in or did you dig down in the soil like the old SFG method?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 3/23/2016, 8:46 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:
Mikesgardn wrote:
AtlantaMarie wrote:

I see that.  I guess what I'm asking is:  Is that only 6" of MM that you're growing them in or did you dig down in the soil like the old SFG method?
I used about 8" of mel's mix.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/23/2016, 10:50 am

Mine are growing in 6" of MM in a raised bed....or maybe it's 5" by now.  (Reminder to self: Gotta add some compost this weekend.) It's 7' x 2' with one plant per sq ft. Once the 4 layers of cardboard underneath disintegrate, the bed is positioned so that I can mow down any escapees.  I just hope they don't jump ship the way the strawberries do.
Rolling Eyes
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/23/2016, 12:10 pm

They certainly will jump ship!

I have a seedless boysenberry plant on order and will expand the blackberry bed to accommodate it.  With a concrete paver floor, of course!  This time, though, I may underlay it with either cardboard or river rock (or both).
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/23/2016, 5:09 pm

Interesting... I've been told several times that raspberries, etc. need "at least" 18 inches below them... Wrong again, I guess!

Donna, I LOVE boysenberries! (Or, at least syrup, lol!) Lucky you...!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/23/2016, 5:15 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Interesting...  I've been told several times that raspberries, etc. need "at least" 18 inches below them...  Wrong again, I guess!

affraid
Maybe not. I only planted them last year and had a great crop. Maybe they won't come back this year. We'll have to wait and see.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 3/23/2016, 8:47 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Interesting...  I've been told several times that raspberries, etc. need "at least" 18 inches below them...  Wrong again, I guess!
Now I know what you were asking me.  I used about 8" of mels mix in a raised bed, and I did not use weed cloth below.  So the roots are free to extend below. 

Mike
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/24/2016, 8:23 am

AH! Okay... Thanks to you both, CC & Mike!

I've got this great place for raspberries or blackberries... It's just waiting for me to get the area ready... DH is aware of my plans, but that also means extending our blueberry patch and a few other changes. HOPEFULLY next year! After some of the other projects are finished.... :-)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/24/2016, 11:28 am

Marie,

I saw some boysenberries--the last of the season--last year at a produce stand.

Not having tasted these treats since I was a teenager, I brought some home.  That was the beginning of a quest to find a thornless variety that's hardy to Zone 5.

Week's Berry Farm in Salem is one of my go-to's for berry and asparagus plants, and they had this item in stock.  They even call me periodically to see when I want them to ship my order.  (They apparently understand the vagaries of Central Oregon weather.)

When I extend the bed, perhaps I'll dig down a bit before I add my Mel's Mix plus extra peat moss.  And then again, perhaps I won't.  I don't think my small side yard could tolerate a forest of berry vines, especially since I also grow dwarf fruit trees, blueberries, and potatoes there.  Thoughts?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next