Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Zone 10a - can I plant anything now? Toplef10Zone 10a - can I plant anything now? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Zone 10a - can I plant anything now? I22gcj10Zone 10a - can I plant anything now? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Zone 10a - can I plant anything now? Toplef10Zone 10a - can I plant anything now? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Zone 10a - can I plant anything now? I22gcj10Zone 10a - can I plant anything now? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Zone 10a - can I plant anything now?

+5
Chopper
No_Such_Reality
Cajun Cappy
boffer
momvet
9 posters

Go down

Zone 10a - can I plant anything now? Empty Zone 10a - can I plant anything now?

Post  momvet 7/2/2015, 12:08 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm in Zone 10a (Murrieta, not in the hills). I have pulled out a lot of things - beets, turnips, lettuce, peas, nasturtiums, carrots, radishes, arugula (well, it is still there because of the pretty flowers). My bush beans did great but are almost done bearing. Cucumbers did well for a while but now are crispy looking (I didn't shade them - newbie mistake?). Only things really doing well now are tomatoes, squash and eggplant. Anyway, I know I can start planting a lot of things in October, but I have a lot of empty squares that I am dying to put something in. Is it too late to put in more beans? Any other suggestions? It has been unbearably hot here. Now humid, which isn't the norm. We did get a little rain the other day, which also isn't the norm. Should I try to plant anything now, or just chill? cyclops
momvet
momvet

Back to top Go down

Zone 10a - can I plant anything now? Empty Re: Zone 10a - can I plant anything now?

Post  boffer 7/2/2015, 12:19 pm

When in doubt, plant!  

I've learned that I'd rather lose a few seeds, than end up looking at empty squares that I wish I had planted.

As for what to plant, I'll leave that to others in your area who have some experience to share.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Zone 10a - can I plant anything now? Empty Re: Zone 10a - can I plant anything now?

Post  Cajun Cappy 7/2/2015, 12:42 pm

Things I plant that love our summer.  Any kind of pepper they are from further south and stand up well.  Okra I have a long horn variety that has been in my family for several generations they make all summer and on to the first frost.  We love it so we fill our box with it.  A good trellis climber we just discovered and are enjoying the first of is yard long beans.  They are suposed to go all summer too and we are hoping they do so far so good.  All the things ya mentioned ya pulled up can be replanted in september or when ever ya get tired of picking okra.  Pepper plants that do not get killed by frost or freeze can live on for years and turn into rather large bushes.  Good luck Smile
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  momvet 7/2/2015, 1:10 pm

Cajun Cappy wrote:Things I plant that love our summer.  Any kind of pepper they are from further south and stand up well.  Okra I have a long horn variety that has been in my family for several generations they make all summer and on to the first frost.  We love it so we fill our box with it.  A good trellis climber we just discovered and are enjoying the first of is yard long beans.  They are suposed to go all summer too and we are hoping they do so far so good.  All the things ya mentioned ya pulled up can be replanted in september or when ever ya get tired of picking okra.  Pepper plants that do not get killed by frost or freeze can live on for years and turn into rather large bushes.  Good luck Smile
I forgot to mention that I have a lot of peppers, just starting to produce. Do you plant from seed this late in the season? I like okra but don't have any seeds right now. Wondering if I should pull the cukes and plant beans on my trellis. Thanks.
momvet
momvet

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 7/2/2015, 2:22 pm

Every thing you mentioned is what we consider our spring garden.  Last month the bush beans were replaced by okra and the cucs were replaced by yard long beans and its not too late for those.  This late I usually get plants often deeply discounted since its late to plant but still plenty time to produce.
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 8/9/2015, 10:54 am

Did you plant the beans?  Early july I think they would have made it.  I'm in the lull now as pretty much everything but the peppers has giving up to the mildew or heat.  I'm thinking of starting bush beans, I won't mind culling them to make room for ed of September plantings.  I'm also thinking of trying to flash carrots with the boiling water method to see if I can squeeze some small carrots out.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/16/2015, 4:38 am

Planting for most parts of So Cal incl Murrieta:

AUG
Beans, Bush
Beans, Pole
Beets
Carrots
Celery
Lima Beans
Squash, summer

SEPT
Beans, Bush
Beets
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Carrots
Celery
Leeks
Lettuce
Peas
Spinach
Squash, summer
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  momvet 9/6/2015, 5:36 pm

I planted bush beans, pole beans and lima beans. They all fizzled except for one square of burgundy beans that was in the shade of the gigantic eggplant. Oh well, you live, you learn. Next year, I hope to learn from all this. Razz
momvet
momvet

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 9/12/2015, 1:07 pm

I planted zuchinni seeds in mid-August, they're doing great.  Tried carrots, nada.  I did the scald thing to score them and still nada.  Tried bush beans, they came up great but bugs shredded them.  My watermelon died, sprung back and is re-dying.  And my anaheim pepper got shredded last night and reduced to a bunch of twigs by apparently a grasshopper plague in the last couple days.  I found a couple in the yard this morning that's what I get for not policing my garden during the heatwave.

This afternoon, I'm hoping to add mass compost and recycled MM from a collapsed planter box.  All my beds have greatly reduced from the original twelve inch deep beds to being below the first board.  I emptied my composters and sifted and have a good wheelbarrow full of compost, plus another couple cubic feet of MM.  I'll top of the pepper box which I half did last week and then tackle the watermelon box.  Hopefully filling both, which will then allow me to lay in a 2 or 3 inch layer of mulch on top.

Then it's planting time. Beans again, beets, carrots, broccoli, hoping the pepper revives.
No_Such_Reality

Back to top Go down

Zone 10a - can I plant anything now? Empty planting now

Post  kauairosina 9/12/2015, 2:35 pm

Thanks for the run down Chopper.  To our dismay summer squash hasn't been doing so well for us. We would love to be among those who have too much.  I pulled out the Lemon cukes and will pull out the others Monday because those vines do not look well.  Win a few,lose a few.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/12/2015, 7:13 pm

Grasshoppers . . .Grrrr In the heat, first the spider mites, then the grasshoppers. Did I mention scale? This has been a brutal summer. Good luck with the fall planting. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Zone 10a - can I plant anything now? Empty It's January 2nd, what are you eating from your garden?

Post  No_Such_Reality 1/2/2016, 7:25 pm

Chopper wrote:Planting for most parts of So Cal incl Murrieta:

AUG
Beans, Bush
Beans, Pole
Beets
Carrots
Celery
Lima Beans
Squash, summer

SEPT
Beans, Bush
Beets
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Carrots
Celery
Leeks
Lettuce
Peas
Spinach
Squash, summer
Courtesy of the late planting September, I've been enjoying fresh Zucchini in November, December and now January.  Been having a real fight with powdery mildew, but I just keep trimming the old ugly leaves and let the new leaves grow.

Got a few green beans out at Christmas.  

It's January 2 and I sent the day pruning the plum and apple.  Refilling the raised beds with my homegrown compost and cleaning the gutters for the coming rain next week.  Got so many mucky leaves from the trees in the gutters, I 3/4s filled my compost trash can, I used those rolling 50 gal trash cans the prior owner left behind.

With my beds topped up for the coming rain, I planted new Kale, Spinach, Beets, Beans.  The Zuchini, Tomato and Anaheim Pepper are still putting up a fight. I've got a set of peppers set and the shelter tomato set a few toms too.  The Zuchiini also has about 4 zekes growing.
No_Such_Reality

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/2/2016, 9:06 pm

The bennies of living in So. Cal., year around gardening. Can you post a photo or two so folks can dream of their future summer gardens?? Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/3/2016, 8:15 am

sigh.... Yes, please. Photos would be good about now!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 3/19/2016, 9:17 am

Apologies for no photos.  January and Feb turned out to be rough months with recurring round of what cold/flu did my son bring home from school.  

My big discussion now is should I build and try a potato tower or go for sweet potatoes in a box?  I noticed my local Lowe's has German Butterball potatoes from Irish Eyes supply.  Supposedly they work well.  My other thought, with SoCal's drought continuing (while the rest of the State gets rain, rain, rain) is to go sweet potatoes a try.  Either way, I'm getting kind of late.

With the severe heat in Feb, my orange trees have already set all their flowers. So I have a tree full of Valencia oranges that I need to pick before they regreen.

Any good suggestion what to do with them?
No_Such_Reality

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/19/2016, 12:10 pm

Sweet potatoes love the heat.  Give them a try,
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down