Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hey everybody!!!! Toplef10Hey everybody!!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hey everybody!!!! I22gcj10Hey everybody!!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hey everybody!!!! Toplef10Hey everybody!!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hey everybody!!!! I22gcj10Hey everybody!!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hey everybody!!!!

+7
Razed Bed
Kelejan
Scorpio Rising
Marc Iverson
quiltbea
sanderson
hokie_paw
11 posters

Go down

Hey everybody!!!! Empty Hey everybody!!!!

Post  hokie_paw 6/24/2015, 3:56 pm

Hi,
I just wandered around online and found this forum.  I hope to gain lots of information about SFG's.  I had 1 garden last year and focused mainly on kale with a few containers around the porch.  This year I expanded and have 4 SFG's and a few more containers for the veggies. 

Found out I have a thyroid issue, so that is really getting me moving on eating healthier and trying to grow my own food.  I have so much to learn and figure out when to plant, etc.  I am from SC so I went to the Clemson extension and printed out what to plant and when for my area.  Sure could have used that before I planted this spring but I was very excited to get started. 

I have already made mistakes im sure off and a journal is used for what I harvest to better plan next year.  Zucchini is going to be the end of me.  Tried yellow squash before in a container and the squash borer got it, so I planted 6 zucchini this year and so far only 2 very small zuc's and the plants just don't look well.

I am looking forward to learning from yall and sharing the excitement of beautiful gardens!

Have a great day
hokie_paw
hokie_paw

Back to top Go down

Hey everybody!!!! Empty Re: Hey everybody!!!!

Post  sanderson 6/24/2015, 4:18 pm

Hokie_paw, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here I think this Forum is a great place to learn and the folks are friendly. We love photos, so please show us what you have. Photos also help with diagnosing problems. Have you read All New Square Foot Gardening, 1st or 2nd Edition, by Mel Bartholomew? Valuable, virtually indispensable for anyone wanting to do SFG. Like you, many of us just want to eat better.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  hokie_paw 6/24/2015, 5:17 pm

hey sanderson,
I have the 1st square foot gardening book by mel Bartholomew and a book with questions and answers from him.  I need to figure out what veggies grow the best where I live.  I had 27 bush beans and I thought I would have had a lot more produce for that many plants.  I started planning my mid-late summer squares last night and realized I didn't do a good job at all with that last time. I am considered central south Carolina region by Clemson extension.  Its a great resource for anybody else from SC that I just referenced if anybody asks you.
Have a great evening
hokie_paw
hokie_paw

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/24/2015, 7:03 pm

Hey Hokie.....Welcome glad you\'re here from the Northeast.
You'll want to check into the threads for possibly the Middle South which might be your area of gardening.  They'll have lots of info on those threads you can check out.  My weather and gardening is entirely different from what you experience so I can't help very much other than to wish you well. 
But all of us, whether gardening a long time or newbies, have some failures.  Its part of being a gardener.  But we just don't give up.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/24/2015, 7:16 pm

Welcome hokie!

I like the first book a lot. The second one makes dramatic changes, and you would probably find it very worthwhile. Both are good, but the second one is a worthwhile update.

Good luck on your squash! I am about the only person I've met who can't grow zucchini, so I know it can be aggravating not to be able to grow the stuff when everyone else seems to do it with ease!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/24/2015, 10:24 pm

Welcome, hokie!  I am a newbie to these boards, and a re-boot to SFG, back from a long and painful, veggie-sparse, weedy hiatus!  I too have the first book, and got the 2nd Ed. from the library.   Interesting to compare the changes he made, improvements, really.  

Glad you are here, these folks are amazing, and everyone has a little different twist on things!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/25/2015, 2:36 am

hokie_paw wrote:I have the 1st square foot gardening book by mel Bartholomew and a book with questions and answers from him.
Just want to clarify.  All New Square Foot Gardening, 1st or 2nd (2013)  Editions.  I loaned out the 1st Ed to a neighbor so I can't reference what the publish date is.  

I need to figure out what veggies grow the best where I live.
Folks in your Region will be your best source month by month.  Does the Clemson extension have a planting guide for your general area?

When you have a moment, could you edit your profile Location to include the closest city/town so folks have a sense of where you are gardening?  Thanks

PS Is the title of your topic from 2 Broke Girls?

Last edited by sanderson on 6/25/2015, 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added PS)

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/25/2015, 3:00 pm

glad you\'re here hokie_paw happy hi 
from Kelejan :canada: 

I read the first edition when I started and the day before I was about to start digging I went on to the Internet, found this site, and saved myself a lot of hard work.
Just as well as my land really is just a layer of rocks washed down by glaciers a little before my time and there is no deep soil.  Plant your spade  two inches and one hits a rock.  I live along the Columbia River in British Columbia.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  hokie_paw 6/25/2015, 3:08 pm

Hey,
I hope this doesn't end up as a duplicate post.  Thought I hit the send button.  Oh well,  I have  not read the All New square foot  book, mine is the first book.  I will have to see if my library has it or if I need to go to the bookstore.  The Clemson extension does have a planting guide and SC has 3 regions which it tells you by the county you live in.  Each region is divided into spring and fall.

I didn't take the title line from the 2broke.. that you mentioned.  Do I need to change it?  Thanks for all the hey's.

Have a great day
hokie_paw
hokie_paw

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/25/2015, 3:54 pm

hokie_paw wrote:I have  not read the All New square foot  book, mine is the first book.  I will have to see if my library has it or if I need to go to the bookstore.
Yikes, read All New before you do anything more!

I didn't take the title line from the 2broke.. that you mentioned.
It's fine Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/25/2015, 6:42 pm

I agree wit sanderson, read All New before you do anything else ASAP!  I got it from the local library, and intend to buy it.  I mistakenly keep referring to it as 2nd Ed. but it is All New...first book, 1981, All New is 2005?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  hokie_paw 6/25/2015, 9:02 pm

Hey,
I was able to get the All New 2nd edition from the book store today.  I am in the process of reading it. Thanks all for taking the time to reply.  I did get some screen mesh today and we are going to build a cage around 1 of the gardens that can be lifted off as needed.  LOL I feel like I am obsessing over the garden and planning now for a better fall harvest.

Have a great evening
hokie_paw
hokie_paw

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/27/2015, 1:16 am

Glad you got the ALL-New 2nd Edition, Hokie-Paw, as it really will save you a lot of work.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/27/2015, 10:38 am

bounce I am so excited, Imjust ordered the All New 2nd Ed. from Amazon!  My library had the original SFG, and the All New, but not the AN2d.  Can't wait!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Razed Bed 6/28/2015, 11:28 am

I have both the old and new SFG books as well as the book about making cash from your garden.

Just because the raised bed is the current SFG method, it does not mean that the original method no longer has merit.

Personally, I love working in the 60X2 original 120SF bed with real soil amended with compost.  Over the years, I would estimate that it is now 18-24 inches deep in composted materials, and on the whole, plants grown in this plot do better than anything else we have. 

Currently, we have squash and zucchini in containers, in raised beds, and in old square foot level plots.  All are doing well and producing fruit.  The containers produce smaller fruit and produce it less frequently, and the weight of the plants sometimes knocks it over when it is really windy.

The raised bed zucchini is basically a no-hassle getup.  It is like a portrait hanging on the wall in your living room.  You only need to admire it, as there is so little work required to maintain it that you almost take it for granted.

The original SFG method is still my favorite, because it forces me to move my fat butt and belly and actually use muscles and sweat enough to render some of those lipids.  I will work out there while thinking to myself that I am Oliver Wendall Douglas in Hooterville.  As a matter of fact, the misses and I are headed back outside now to get some fresh air, or a reasonable facsimile therof, as Nashville has something other than fresh air.  You can see the air 20 feet away from you; it is an abstract painting of yellow, gray, and brown.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/28/2015, 1:38 pm

Razed Bed wrote:...Just because the raised bed is the current SFG method, it does not mean that the original method no longer has merit...

...The original SFG method is still my favorite, because it forces me to move my fat butt and belly and actually use muscles and sweat enough to render some of those lipids....

Very true.  Every gardening method has its advantages and disadvantages.  

You're an anomaly though! Wink  Nearly all the original SFG method gardeners that show up here express their appreciation for how much less work the new SFG method is.

6-7 years ago, I used to joke about my TTs, that although I was in good health, I was preparing for the day that my knees started to go.   That day has arrived sooner than I expected, and I'm grateful that I've minimized the amount of gardening I do on the ground.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/28/2015, 2:12 pm

Razed Bed wrote:I have both the old and new SFG books as well as the book about making cash from your garden.

The original SFG method is still my favorite, because it forces me to move my fat butt and belly and actually use muscles and sweat enough to render some of those lipids.  I will work out there while thinking to myself that I am Oliver Wendall Douglas in Hooterville. 

I love that show! Matt Groenig, creater of The Simpsons, says that's his favorite old show and that it still remains weird even to this day. I agree ... it's still wacky! Such a fun show and talented cast.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/29/2015, 8:43 am

Hi Hokie_paw.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA.  I MAY be your Regional Host....

Sorry I haven't responded before now.  Was gone for a few days.

I've read all of the editions Mel has put out.  They get better & easier each time!

Feel free to ask questions!  And be sure to check out the archives.  There's LOTS of good, practical info there!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BeckieSueDalton 6/29/2015, 10:19 am

Hi hokie-paw!  I'm in Atlanta, so we're regional neighbors. 

I'm dreadfully new to gardening, too.  I started off this year with a mish-mash of ideas from different container gardening websites, and then I found this forum.  I ordered my SFG 2nd ed. book last week and read it through when it got here.  I really wish I'd come across this method first, as several of my "cute" or "cheap" container plants just aren't doing all that great.

Good luck with your garden.  Smile
BeckieSueDalton
BeckieSueDalton

Female Posts : 68
Location : Atlanta GA (NE OTP), AHS heat zone 6, USDA hardiness zone 7a/7b, frost dates Apr15/Nov15

http://lollipops-and-pipe-dreams.blogspot.com/search/label/garde

Back to top Go down

Hey everybody!!!! Empty wasting away again in mosquitoville

Post  kauairosina 6/29/2015, 6:31 pm

Thanks Marc.  I thought we were the only ones who can't grow zucchini. We sure miss it.

And yes, I put the equivalent of two tabletops in when we first moved to this house 12 years ago.  One of my best investments ever.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum