Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
cinder block foundation Toplef10cinder block foundation 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

cinder block foundation I22gcj10cinder block foundation 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
cinder block foundation Toplef10cinder block foundation 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

cinder block foundation I22gcj10cinder block foundation 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 11:55 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

cinder block foundation

+2
lyndeeloo
has55
6 posters

Go down

cinder block foundation Empty cinder block foundation

Post  has55 5/31/2015, 6:53 pm

for those who have cinder blocks SFG beds, do you need a foundation pad or is it just place on a level ground to the desire height. I would like to place it 4 row high due to using 8" of mulch to stuff out the grass.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

cinder block foundation Empty Re: cinder block foundation

Post  lyndeeloo 6/1/2015, 8:16 am

Hi has55. When I made my cinder block bed I dug down (made a rectangular trench) about 6 inches deep and about 4 inches wider than the block in the area the blocks were going and made sure that area was level all around. I threw the dirt into the middle for back fill later. I used a hand tamper to help level and compact the trench. Since I am in New England I was thinking about movement from frost, but didn't want to spend the money for lots of blocks or the energy to dig down below the frost line. Put in two layers of dry set cinder block, alternating the second row to cover the joints in the first row, and back filled the outside to ground level. Worked out nicely.  No foundation and No mortar was needed, plus if I want to take it apart and move it I can. They do move a tiny bit from frost but settle right back into place in the spring. I'm very happy with how it turned out, using it for the fourth year now. Good luck with the project Very Happy
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  Razed Bed 6/1/2015, 9:44 am

We ditched our cinder block for bricks, because the constant bruised and scraped knees from brushing up against the blocks were too much.

If you are not a klutz, then you don't have to worry about it.  However, if you are like me, then you are going to have similar issues.  I guess you can wear knee pads or find something to put on the top of the blocks to protect yourself.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/1/2015, 11:29 am

When doing any kind of concrete/concrete product work, a proper foundation is the key to your project's longevity. For a garden box, you can get by without a footer , but it will last longer with one. Start the first course the way lyndeeloo described.

At 4 courses high, however, I'd be concerned about bulging walls due to the horizontal force of wet MM or other growing medium. I'd definitely use re-bar to hold it all together.

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/1/2015, 2:59 pm

thanks everyone. I see the foundation is the key. I found this link last night.
How to Build a Retaining Wall With Concrete Blocks for a Planting Bed

does anyone have pictures of walls 3-4 level high?

Razed Bed-do you have pictures of your brick bed. how high is it?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/1/2015, 3:20 pm

I built these for my wife over 20 years ago.  The box on the right is 8x16.  It took a dump truck load of topsoil to fill the box!  The wall on the left is a dividing wall for a garden/sitting space.  The far side is 4 courses high.

The footer is showing because the ground was as hard as concrete, and I decided the heck with digging a trench with a pick and shovel!  

cinder block foundation Screen10
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/1/2015, 3:35 pm

Boffer it's beautiful. is that decorative brick or cinderblock? are the joint cemented or just stack?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/1/2015, 3:51 pm

Thanks. Around here, we call them 'split-face CMU'. You can google that term. They're cinder blocks with a rough face, and come in various colors.

I mortared the blocks in. But I've seen houses built with dry-set. Here's one way to do it.
http://www.quikrete.com/athome/Video-Dry-Stack-Wall.asp
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/1/2015, 3:57 pm

thank you.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/1/2015, 4:12 pm

Boffer,

Great video!

However, I do have a question.  With a concrete footer for a raised bed, how does drainage occur?

Thanks!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/1/2015, 5:30 pm

Since the existing soil was so compacted, I wondered about that, too.  This is what I did:

cinder block foundation Screen14

The perforated pipe and drain rock go all the way around the box on the inside.  I cut a hole in a block on the back side (least visible) of the box for the 4 inch ABS drain pipe to go through.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/1/2015, 5:35 pm

Clever, Boffer!

I've built one, going on two, berry beds with concrete pavers as bases.  Since there are small spaces between each one, drainage occurs.  My blackberries are trying to go wild!

Good thing I have a "footing" for them, too; a wave of rodents has arrived, and my cats can't quite keep up with it.  Also, I don't want the berry plants to do much spreading.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/15/2015, 1:48 am

thanks Boffer for sharing more details.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/30/2015, 10:52 am

Boffer, I needed to revisited your comment about your footer. If I understand correctly, you just put a footer above the ground, not beneath it. I was wondering if this would work for me, since I going to put 8 inches of mulch around the base for my walkway. This would save a least one row of cinder block and cut my cost down. At least , that's what I'm thinking. Then I can go up 3 level, instead of four. The footer would be hidden. Question, why do they suggest the footer be in the ground? Yours is working fine.
When you mentioned using rebar with the cinder block, how is that done? forgive my ignorance, I'm not an carpenter or work with bricks, so I need help visualizing it. 

donnainzone10-you used pavers. How high did you go? How long has it been since you created it? Any problems? I have about 500 4 inch wide by 2 inch thick pavers just stack in a pile. Haven't figured out what to do with them. 
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/30/2015, 9:22 pm

If one were building a footer for a structure, there are two factors to consider.  One is to get below the frost line to prevent heaving, the other is to attain a surface of suitable compaction strength. (the usual minimum is 2500psi)  Ex.: If you were going to build a garage on your gravel driveway that's been used for years, the native soil is already compacted from years of bearing the weight of cars and the settling effect of rain, and there wouldn't be a problem.  On the other hand, if you decided to build your garage atop the last owner's row garden, odds are that the top layer that has been rototilled won't meet compaction tests, and you would have to dig down to undisturbed dirt to place your footer.

A garden wall like we're talking about doesn't have to meet any codes, and the weight involved is negligible.  We don't have frost heave here, and my ground was compacted, so functionally, putting the footer on top of ground isn't an issue.  That said, I stub my toe frequently on the footer, and take a lot of ribbing from friends in the trades for being lazy!  

Regarding re-bar:  I've never regretted over-building a one-off project, as the extra time and/or money is negligible in the long run.   But building something that fails and has to be re-built is a sure way to keep me miserable for a long time.  When I was planning my garden box, I couldn't find a reliable source (pre-internet) that could tell me positively whether or not re-bar was needed in the blocks, so I put it in to be safe.  (steel was a lot cheaper then)

I grouted in a vertical piece of re-bar every 16", and a horizontal re-bar on the top of the top course.  That way, I was confident that the wall was built like a Chevy pickup1.  There's different ways to put in the re-bar; google 're-bar in CMU walls'.  Holler if you have questions.

[1]  Chevy's jingle: 'Solid as a rock'.  Wink
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 8/2/2015, 2:50 am

Thank you. Stubbing your toe got my attention. "ouch" I'll look up the info on rebar and get back with you if I have anymore question.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 8/2/2015, 10:52 am

boffer wrote:If one were building a footer for a structure, there are two factors to consider.  One is to get below the frost line to prevent heaving, the other is to attain a surface of suitable compaction strength. (the usual minimum is 2500psi)  Ex.: If you were going to build a garage on your gravel driveway that's been used for years, the native soil is already compacted from years of bearing the weight of cars and the settling effect of rain, and there wouldn't be a problem.  On the other hand, if you decided to build your garage atop the last owner's row garden, odds are that the top layer that has been rototilled won't meet compaction tests, and you would have to dig down to undisturbed dirt to place your footer.

A garden wall like we're talking about doesn't have to meet any codes, and the weight involved is negligible.  We don't have frost heave here, and my ground was compacted, so functionally, putting the footer on top of ground isn't an issue.  That said, I stub my toe frequently on the footer, and take a lot of ribbing from friends in the trades for being lazy!  

Regarding re-bar:  I've never regretted over-building a one-off project, as the extra time and/or money is negligible in the long run.   But building something that fails and has to be re-built is a sure way to keep me miserable for a long time.  When I was planning my garden box, I couldn't find a reliable source (pre-internet) that could tell me positively whether or not re-bar was needed in the blocks, so I put it in to be safe.  (steel was a lot cheaper then)

I grouted in a vertical piece of re-bar every 16", and a horizontal re-bar on the top of the top course.  That way, I was confident that the wall was built like a Chevy pickup1.  There's different ways to put in the re-bar; google 're-bar in CMU walls'.  Holler if you have questions.

[1]  Chevy's jingle: 'Solid as a rock'.  Wink
Your building methods are superb and I agree 100%. do it right first and one will never regret it.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down